• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty for trespassing on the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessh

New Member
Joined
4 Dec 2017
Messages
2
Hi all, does anyone know when the penalty for trespassing on the railway (currently at £1000) was changed from £100 and if it went from £100 to £1000 or was increased gradually?

Also, did there used to be a penalty for not closing gates on the railway or have I imagined this?

Thanks! :)

320px-Tyseley_Station_-_sign_-_Warning_-_Do_not_trespass_on_the_Railway_Penalty_%C2%A31000_%286155343711%29.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brel york

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2011
Messages
653
Location
the plant
Hi all, does anyone know when the penalty for trespassing on the railway (currently at £1000) was changed from £100 and if it went from £100 to £1000 or was increased gradually?

Also, did there used to be a penalty for not closing gates on the railway or have I imagined this?

Thanks! :)

320px-Tyseley_Station_-_sign_-_Warning_-_Do_not_trespass_on_the_Railway_Penalty_%C2%A31000_%286155343711%29.jpg
On the North eastern railway around york and above the signs on gates read , shut this gate ,followed by a “penalty for neglect £2 “ sign
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
I do wonder why they bother printing the amount on these types of signs. They're out of date within a few years and are rarely replaced. AFAIK, there is no legal reason to state an amount and having an out-of-date sign does not limit the penalty that may be applied.
 

neilb62

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
267
Location
Darwen.
No technically about it, its happened twice in the last couple of weeks, and I suppose anyone who actually gets struck by a train is technically trespassing in the first place?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
I do wonder why they bother printing the amount on these types of signs. They're out of date within a few years and are rarely replaced. AFAIK, there is no legal reason to state an amount and having an out-of-date sign does not limit the penalty that may be applied.

I think all the relevant offences have had their legislation changed to refer to positions on the "standard scale" of fines. I expect there is no requirement to retrospectively amend existing signs.

Previous thread here gives some dates:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/penalty-for-trespassing-on-the-railway.93329/

Which refers to the exact same sign...
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Indeed - the penalty for trespass on the railway is, for some offences, death.

I know it's an official sign, but perhaps it should be accompanied by promotional material saying something like "it's £1000 if you are lucky - it could be death".
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
I've driven over a bridge and on one side it threatened a £1000 fine, the other a £200 fine.

"Ok", I thought to myself, "I'll trespass on that side rather than the other"

(That above thought being a joke, of course)
 

Chris M

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
1,060
Location
London E14
I do wonder why they bother printing the amount on these types of signs. They're out of date within a few years and are rarely replaced. AFAIK, there is no legal reason to state an amount and having an out-of-date sign does not limit the penalty that may be applied.

I think the reason for putting the amount on the signs is the same as the reason for having the fine in the first place - to act as a deterrent.
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
I've driven over a bridge and on one side it threatened a £1000 fine, the other a £200 fine.

"Ok", I thought to myself, "I'll trespass on that side rather than the other"

(That above thought being a joke, of course)

I wonder how that could ever be enforced if anyone were caught. It would have to be literal surely unless a clever lawyer could argue the toss. One never knows.
 

jessh

New Member
Joined
4 Dec 2017
Messages
2
This is a matter of great debate in our office currently!.... does anyone know when the fine was raised to £100 and what it was raised from? We have one guess of late 1800's, raised from £5 to £100 and another guess of 1942, from £50 to £100 (although a more precise guess, we have no evidence for either!) any help settling this debate would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have had a look at the other thread linked to (thank you for that!) and can see that the £100 to £1000 was around 1992, but no mention on there of when the "£100" came into place :) TIA!!!
 

Gemz91

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2013
Messages
735
Location
Garden Shed
I noticed last week that the £1000 part had been taped over at Saxilby station. The sign read something along the lines of;

"Do not trespass on on the railway maximum penalty" then the amount was blanked out with yellow and black tape. Seemed strange.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I think the reason for putting the amount on the signs is the same as the reason for having the fine in the first place - to act as a deterrent.

The fact that it was too much of a deterrent (and therefore stopping people using it in legitimate cases) may well be why the amount is no longer shown on the passcom.

But then I never heard of anyone having anything happen other than a telling off or at worst being thrown off at the next stop for misuse of the passcom. It's like the fine for removing reservation labels - was anyone *ever* convicted of that?
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,601
If the value of the fine is there as a deterrent, you also need to have a high enough probability of getting caught as well. Otherwise people will just chance it and think there is minimal chance of anything bad happening. It is the same with motoring offenses, if the probability of getting caught is very low, people don't care about consequences, since it is so likely there will be no consequences.
 

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,198
No technically about it, its happened twice in the last couple of weeks, and I suppose anyone who actually gets struck by a train is technically trespassing in the first place?
not trespassing if on public footpath, working or in cases of equipment failure, level crossing gates up etc.
 

Chris M

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
1,060
Location
London E14
Nor are they trespassing if they've fallen or been pushed from a station platform or overbridge, etc, their car has broken down on a level crossing, they've been involved in an RTC that has resulted in their vehicle falling down the embankment slope onto the railway, if they've been detrained onto the track by a member of staff*, they've been ejected from a train in an accident, self-evacuated from a train following an accident (e.g. to escape a fire), directed onto the railway by a person authorised to do so**, and many other scenarios that are even less likely to occur.

*I hope nobody has ever been hit by a train in these circumstances, but it is at least theoretically possible.
**I don't know whether it would be technically trespassing if the person was not authorised but the person following the directions had a reasonable belief they were so. It would be unlikely to be prosecuted in such circumstances of course regardless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top