• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty fare increase to £100

Will this decrease fare evasion ?

  • Yes

    Votes: 87 29.0%
  • No

    Votes: 164 54.7%
  • Abstain

    Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Don't agree with the increase

    Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Agree with the increase

    Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Abstain

    Votes: 9 3.0%

  • Total voters
    300
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,005
I note LNR's web page on PFs has been edited again (I think it was theirs that was wrong) and now again says you have to buy online if there's no facility at the station. This is clearly garbage and I've reported it to them AGAIN.

That is very disappointing.

I've seen similar with TfW on a sign on a faulty ticket machine.

Given that passengers can be given penalty fares or prosecuted for failing to understand ticketing rules properly, maybe there should be some kind of penalty for railway companies that don't understand their own rules?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
I was at Doncaster on Friday and the platform announcements were telling passengers to make sure they had a ticket before boarding the Hull Trains services.
I had the same at Banbury station this morning saying about PFs increasing, and to make sure you buy before you board.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,320
Location
Reading
It's beyond me why they never have proper consultation on the actual wording of changes. I think it would be perverse if the regulations required people to pay TWICE for their journey, so I think the word 'applicable' in "full single fare applicable for their journey" must be interpreted to account for the actual circumstances whenever it can be stretched to do so. Otherwise the passenger is left to offer the amount they believe is still due and challenge the train company to pursue them in the civil courts if they feel they are entitled to the rest of the "full single" fare. Highly unsatisfactory and avoidable.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
I know it's trivial, but why are the new PF warning posters so dull compared to the old ones?

Blue text doesn't stand out on the more dull yellow background as black did, and the top has a blue background instead of black that made the warning text stand out. Then there's the lack of boxes to more clearly show the rules.

Also the typeface... Isn't it what Thameslink used to use pre FCC?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
That's true, its just unfortunate that they put people into that position by habitually selling tickets on the train for so many years.
Guards on the Nottingham - Worksop line have a hard enough existence without worrying about penalty fares.

The regulars know well enough the different between the guard and revenue protection, either RP staff need to be working up there consistently all hours of the day and night (they usually take police or security back up with them) or not.

The route is notorious for groups of youths using the train as a free taxi in the evenings and refusing to pay or engage, it's not unusual to find guards asking for tickets on the door and refusing boarding in normal circumstances.

Working as a lone guard there the best answer for your sanity and personal safety is to take money where offered and let the signage and revenue staff worry about penalty fares. Even mentioning them to someone often triggers a tirade of abuse even if you're not charging them so most have stopped bothered years ago.
 

Silver Cobra

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Bedfordshire
For anyone who hasn't seen one yet, here is what the new Penalty Fare posters look like:

IMG_20230123_165134.jpg

I do have to agree with jon0844 that the new posters don't catch my attention in the same way the old ones did.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,739
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
That font is too "happy clappy" for a serious warning. It should be in a stark, basic font like Helvetica or Times Roman. Probably Helvetica.

I also agree the top bit should be black, not blue. Perhaps even add warning stripes down the side.
 

BenS123

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
228
Location
Bournemouth
I spent a few minutes designing a quick prototype of what I thought could be a 'more ideal' PF poster, inspired by the actual one in post #127
1674497391954.png
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
I've just skimmed through this thread and I haven't seen the answer to this.

GWR, on their web page on the new penalty fare regulations (https://www.gwr.com/help-and-suppor...tm_content=EB1226872&utm_campaign=GWR_PEN_SER), say that
"If you buy a ticket that has restrictions, and/or a Railcard discount, you must ensure you adhere to any restrictions and have your Railcard with you; otherwise you’ll need to pay for your journey again at the full price."

There is no "could" in that statement, it says "need".

Does this mean that if I board a train with an invalid ticket due to peak restrictions, even if I'm not penalty fared I'm required to buy a new (anytime?) ticket rather than having it excessed?

Even if there's no ticket office at the station I board that could excess it for me?
No, it's incorrect; the NRCoT entitle you to obtain the excess onboard, regardless of whether there are ticket purchasing (or excessing) facilities available at your starting or intermediate interchange stations.

If that's what it means it is extremely badly phrased.
It's common for the section of TOC websites dealing with tickets etc. to be written by people who frankly don't have a clue what they're talking about. Predictably, there's all sorts of duff information floating about (such as the generalised claim that "Off-Peak tickets are valid from 09:30").
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,005
It's common for the section of TOC websites dealing with tickets etc. to be written by people who frankly don't have a clue what they're talking about. Predictably, there's all sorts of duff information floating about (such as the generalised claim that "Off-Peak tickets are valid from 09:30").

I suppose it matches the staff on the railways who also believe that sort of thing.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,125
Location
Redcar
I know it's trivial, but why are the new PF warning posters so dull compared to the old ones?
You guys have gotten new posters? I don't think we've got any up here. Hopefully no one tries issuing a PF in the meantime as if would be invalid. Not that your average passenger would be aware of this...
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
You guys have gotten new posters? I don't think we've got any up here. Hopefully no one tries issuing a PF in the meantime as if would be invalid. Not that your average passenger would be aware of this...

They've got cards they're handing out to people here, suggesting a grace period.
 

Silver Cobra

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2015
Messages
1,008
Location
Bedfordshire
You guys have gotten new posters? I don't think we've got any up here. Hopefully no one tries issuing a PF in the meantime as if would be invalid. Not that your average passenger would be aware of this...

The new posters were put up at the Great Northern stations over the weekend. Both Biggleswade and Arlesey had the new posters up on Sunday when I passed through both stations (so the posters were up a day before the new penalty fare price came into effect).
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,125
Location
Redcar
The new posters were put up at the Great Northern stations over the weekend. Both Biggleswade and Arlesey had the new posters up on Sunday when I passed through both stations (so the posters were up a day before the new penalty fare price came into effect).
I'll try remember to check but certainly yesterday there was no sign of new signs on Teesside or at least at the stations I use!
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,361
Whether its related or just coincidence, but literally everyone seems to have tickets today!
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
980
I have noticed since the introduction of this, ticket checks (and very long announcements describing exactly what tickets are/are not valid amongst many other things) seem to be much more common on my WMR journeys between Wolverhampton/Birmingham. I think all the people I've seen doing it are "Senior Conductors" though, so maybe it's just coincidence that I'm getting those people on my journeys.

One senior conductor gave an older couple who got on at one of the local stations a right talking to about buying a ticket before boarding and the introduction of the new, higher penalty.
 

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,062
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
If there was a nationwide consistent approach to ticketing, that might help. Also, a standard approach by staff when allowing passengers to deviate from the norm, by a written note of authorisation.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Who just happens to carry £100 these days?

Personally, I would like the ticketing system to be simpler, more transparent and the full range to be sold at TVM's (where ticket offices are closed) before "the railway" treats all passengers as criminals when they've not had the opportunities to buy the right tickets for their needs

For the chancers who get caught and don't carry/want to pay the £100, I suspect they will either become more aggressive or find more creative ways to avoid paying
 

Benjwri

Established Member
Joined
16 Jan 2022
Messages
3,327
Location
London
Who just happens to carry £100 these days?

Personally, I would like the ticketing system to be simpler, more transparent and the full range to be sold at TVM's (where ticket offices are closed) before "the railway" treats all passengers as criminals when they've not had the opportunities to buy the right tickets for their needs

For the chancers who get caught and don't carry/want to pay the £100, I suspect they will either become more aggressive or find more creative ways to avoid paying
If you're carrying the amount on you it would be the reduced 50% anyways, but the majority of people do carry phones with Apple/Google pay or cards, and I'd say it's more likely people will have the means to pay on the spot these days than they would in the past.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,324
Who just happens to carry £100 these days?
Presumably the system is able to take payment on a credit/debit card? In which case the question becomes 'Who just happens to carry plastic these days?' - to which I suspect the answer is 'everyone who might have carelessly failed to get the right ticket'. And since one of the purposes of penalty fares is to deal quickly and without too much pain with those who make mistakes (but with enough pain to discourage people from making the same mistake again), leaving prosecutions as a route for intentional fare evasion, then if the question is as I've put it, the system will be working as intended.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Many authorised collectors carry card payment terminals, and they have also started to provide for fare evaders scanning a QR code on the penalty fare notice to pay on their phones.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,005
Who doesn't carry a card these days?

You don't have to pay it on the spot anyway. Even the thing about having to pay the fare on the spot no longer applies.

But there are people for whom an unexpected £100 (or rather £50+(anytime?) fare) on their card would be a problem.

Many authorised collectors carry card payment terminals,

And while I hope it isn't many that do this, I have seen one insist to a passenger that they have no alternative but to pay on the spot using such a terminal.

I was tempted to intervene but as I wasn't absolutely sure of the rules I kept quiet.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,005
Yeah, I'm sure there are... but there is a simple way to avoid this fate, and we all know what it is!

To fully understand all the ticketing rules, never make a mistake, never be misled by incorrect information from staff and never be unfortunate enough to come across someone who misinterprets the rules and demands a penalty fare when in fact you're in the right?

Given the number of staff I've encountered who can't or won't understand even the simplest of ticketing rules, I think allowing them to demand £50+ payments on the spot would not be a good thing.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,005
As stated previously, it doesn't have to be paid on the spot.

I know. I stated it previously too.

And I think it should stay like that even though - as pointed out above - most people probably now have the means to pay on the spot if necessary.

I'm not so sure how new that is though - while it may not have been common to carry that much cash even when it was used much more than now, many people carried cheque guarantee cards for at least £50 (which the BoE tells me was the equivalent of £100 in 1991). So I think in the 80's you'd find lots of people on trains who could have paid the current level of penalty fares in real terms on the spot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top