• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty Fare - Expired Young Persons Railcard - Chiltern

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullb

Member
Joined
14 Sep 2013
Messages
7
I recently travelled on a Chiltern Railways train having purchased online prior to travel a ticket for which I selected to get a discount due to having a Young Persons railcard. I did not check it at the time so did not realise it had recently expired.

On the train the conductor asked to check my ticket and YP railcard and I then realised that it had expired. I was very upset. I was told that since my YP card had expired my ticket was invalid, both were confiscated from me, and I was told I had to pay the penalty fare of twice the amount of the full single fare. I accepted that this was my mistake and I immediately paid the full amount by debit card and was issued with a receipt/permission to complete journey.

This is the first time that anything like this has happened to me and I am very worried that this will be pursued further. I hope that they only prosecute for those who refuse to pay etc. there was nothing more I could do apart from apologise and immediately pay the full penalty fare which thankfully I had enough money on me to do.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
If you paid the full amount there and then that will be the end of it.
 

paullb

Member
Joined
14 Sep 2013
Messages
7
I hoped that would be settled there and then. As I said this is the first time anything like this has happened to me so I turned to here for some advice.

My concern is that the ticket inspector confiscated my ticket and YP card, which has my personal details on it, so I am worried what they will do with that. They said "for evidence" does that mean incase I appealed or for future reference or what? Paid the penalty fare in full but still stressing out about it! :/
 

CNash

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
336
Don't worry. You probably won't hear anything else from them. They most likely won't send your ticket and railcard back to you - not that you'd need them, of course, as they're both no longer valid for travel!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
I agree with all the other replies.
The matter has been closed.
. . . . I am worried what they will do with that. They said "for evidence" does that mean incase I appealed or for future reference or what?
You wrote that you had paid, but if that payment had been declined by the bank (or otherwise voided), then the Company would have every right to pursue you for the debt, and in those circumstances, that 'evidence' would assist them greatly. They acted properly, in protecting the Company's interest.

Please put this behind you as you have nothing to worry about (unless there is something else that you haven't told us!).
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
I
My concern is that the ticket inspector confiscated my ticket and YP card, which has my personal details on it, so I am worried what they will do with that. They said "for evidence" does that mean incase I appealed or for future reference or what? Paid the penalty fare in full but still stressing out about it! :/

Yes, you have a right of appeal within 21 days. [No, you shouldn't use it!] The invalid ticket and railcard are the property of the railway so the inspector was within his rights to retain them.

As per all of my colleagues above, paying in full means that is the end of the matter.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
Sounds like everything's sorted, penalty fares suck, but the best thing to do is put is down to experience. And get a new rail card.


It could be worse, I'm sure FCC would have been trying to prosecute ypu if this happened on their trains. :D
 

paullb

Member
Joined
14 Sep 2013
Messages
7
The penalty fare amount has now been paid, as indicated today on the latest statement of my bank account.

I'm glad to hear that no further action will be taken against me, which would have seemed unfair since I didn't intend to commit the offence (though I know ignorance isn't an excuse).

Of course it was annoying to have to pay the fine, but I accept completely that is was necessary. I'm actually glad to know that they do check tickets and enforce fines.

I'm travelling the journey again next week so I'll try not to be overly keen to show the inspector my completely valid ticket just to feel better about it all ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top