• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty Fare due to phone issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegh0ul

New Member
Joined
9 Jun 2023
Messages
2
Location
Chester
hi, as stated in the above title I have been charged a penalty fare .

Earlier today, I acquired my 16-17 savers card, but due to circumstances, I was unable to display it digitally through the designated mobile app. Unfortunately, my iPhone SE from 2016 has been experiencing technical issues, causing the app to malfunction.
As required I have an ios newer than ios 10 and have upgraded the app. I am not blaming the railcard app for being buggy but my own phone. I have checked and my phone does have the minimum software requirements as stated in the terms of conditions. I had even ensured my phone was fully charged in order to avoid running into difficulty. I had charged it on both the train to Bath and the waiting room in Bath. I was fortunately able to access my digital 16-17 saver card from BTM to Bath and also on the train journey back. Unfortunately, it was at the Bath Spa train station when issues occurred.

Would this be good grounds to set an appeal? As I done everything in my power to prevent something occurring like this yet a problem still arose. Would it just be best to pay the fare but bear in my mind I am a college student.
In my drafted appeal letter I had also stated "Although I do not have the means to pay the penalty fare, I am willing to pay the administrator's fee. " as recommended in other threads, is this still suitable?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thegh0ul

New Member
Joined
9 Jun 2023
Messages
2
Location
Chester
Hi,
After being caught without having a railcard, I was charged a penalty fare. Subsequently, I purchased a rail card. Would I still be able to make a claim? Or will they be able to check against the time of purchase of railcard and the time of penalty fare.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
What do you mean, "make a claim"? Are you referring to the situation where someone with a railcard, who's bought a ticket priced on the basis of their possession of a railcard, forgets to carry it with them and is checked, but can then sort it out retrospectively by producing their railcard to show their ticket was OK? (I think you can do this only very occasionally!) As for your question - if you bought a railcard electronically, then the time of purchase is clear. If you bought it in a station, then even if it's then less obvious, presumably if they wanted to they could check the transaction record at the station. So you probably wouldn't get away with it.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,574
Location
LBK
Hi,
After being caught without having a railcard, I was charged a penalty fare. Subsequently, I purchased a rail card. Would I still be able to make a claim? Or will they be able to check against the time of purchase of railcard and the time of penalty fare.
This would not be valid grounds for appeal and the penalty fare was correctly issued. Yes, they will be able to see when the railcard was purchased and trying to pass it off as one purchased earlier wouldn’t be a clever move.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
I've noticed you have two threads going. One in which you state you didn't have a Railcard at all, and this in which you state you did have one.

Other, more knowledgeable members will be along to advise, but if you held a valid Railcard when you travelled and can demonstrate this, usually you get one opportunity (a year, I believe?) to appeal on these grounds.

If you actually didn't have one at the time, you can't successfully appeal on these grounds. If these are two separate incidents, I'd be extremely careful in future.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
You have to be in possession of the railcard at the time you travelled on the train. They will be able to tell exactly what tie the railcard was purchased. In the circumstances I would pay the Penalty Fare and chalk it up to experience.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
In post #1 the OP makes it clear that their 16-17 Saver Card was displaying correctly both on their outward journey and on their return. The problem came at Bath station. That suggests possession of a valid card, but with an intermittent inability to get it to display on their phone.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,817
In post #1 the OP makes it clear that their 16-17 Saver Card was displaying correctly both on their outward journey and on their return. The problem came at Bath station. That suggests possession of a valid card, but with an intermittent inability to get it to display on their phone.
I think you should read post #2 as well, which rather throws doubt on the version of events that you refer to.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
I know about post #2. But it would help if the OP actually clarified exactly when they bought the Railcard (before or after starting the journey). As it is we're all in the dark, but with suspicions
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,574
Location
LBK
I know about post #2. But it would help if the OP actually clarified exactly when they bought the Railcard (before or after starting the journey). As it is we're all in the dark, but with suspicions
It’s very clear, they mention that subsequently they purchased a railcard. They then deleted their posts having realised they’d outed themselves as dishonest, but a moderated has reinstated them.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
It’s very clear, they mention that subsequently they purchased a railcard. They then deleted their posts having realised they’d outed themselves as dishonest, but a moderated has reinstated them.
Perhaps I just don't understand the mentality - making up a detailed and elaborate story to convince third parties who are only neutral advisors. Bizarre
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,818
Perhaps I just don't understand the mentality - making up a detailed and elaborate story to convince third parties who are only neutral advisors. Bizarre

That was my first thought when I see stuff like this, but then I wondered if the OP was road testing his excuses
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,574
Location
LBK
Perhaps I just don't understand the mentality - making up a detailed and elaborate story to convince third parties who are only neutral advisors. Bizarre
They were testing a defence they thought of after they posted their first thread (the first two posts were originally in separate threads). And the first thread, and the first post here, is not honest, as they claim the reason they didn't have a railcard to show was the "phone being buggy". Unfortunately any advice we give can only be as helpful as the posts are accurate.
 

GadgetMan

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2012
Messages
981
Perhaps I just don't understand the mentality - making up a detailed and elaborate story to convince third parties who are only neutral advisors. Bizarre
Happens here more often than you'd think. I know from personal experience (a few years ago now) having reported atleast 3 separate passengers who have come here and told a very different story/conversation to what actually happened onboard. I think it's partly to come across as being more honest than they are and partly to test their defence that they're intending to try on with the TOC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top