• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penalty fare and fraud investigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Hey guys, I’ve received this email today from WMT and to give a bit of background for you guys, around a month ago I boarded a train without a ticket (I know stupid I completely forgot in that moment as I was a bit late). I then remembered on the train and as I was buying it I was caught by staff and issued a penalty fare ticket which was labelled as ticket bought after departure. I did apologise and say that it was my mistake and that I was in a rush and at the time she said she wouldn’t report for prosecution. But now I’ve received an email saying that I had been reported for digital fraud department for no railcard. Even though I gave her my railcard and she even took a picture of it so I’m a bit confused on why I was reported for that if I had the railcard on me and she didn’t even tell me that she was reporting me.
So now I’m stressed about this whole situation and unsure on what to do I didn’t realise I could be reported and given a penalty fare ticket which I’ve paid .
Anyways any help is greatly appreciated thanks guyss.
Dear Customer,



We have recently been handed a file relating to an incident on XXXX 2025 when you were approached by staff carrying out their revenue duties, you were asked to show your valid ticket but due to a ticket discrepancy, No Railcard. It has been reported to the Digital Fraud Department for further investigation.



You were issued with a Penalty Fare; this is a separate matter to our investigation and needs to be settled with IRCAS and all details can be found on your Penalty Fare slip.



Further investigations into this matter have been carried out, including a full review of the ticket records. It would appear, at this stage, that this may be a case of fraud.



West Midlands Trains take travel fraud extremely seriously and is committed to prosecuting all cases of fare evasion to the full extent of the law. Travelling on the railway with the intent to avoid paying the full fare is an offence under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. Such an offence carries a maximum fine of £1,000 and/or three months’ imprisonment and, in either case, a criminal record. It must also be considered whether this matter amounts to a much more serious offence under the Fraud Act 2006.



At this stage we would be grateful if you would provide any evidence to support the claim that none of the above legislation has been contravened to prevent further action being contemplated.



Please respond within the next 7 days from the date of this letter to avoid further escalation.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,158
Location
Wilmslow
Welcome to the forum!

Firstly, if you have a valid railcard you have nothing to worry about.

Secondly, we see a lot of fishing exercises like these, especially from West Midlands Trains. They are designed to panic you into replying and incriminating yourself.

Consider doing nothing and not replying in any way. But feel free to discuss further here and see what others say in particular. WMT are using words like “fraud” to frighten you but it is unlikely they have any evidence to do anything about it.

Make sure your Penalty Fare is paid and make sure you always buy tickets before boarding a train in future.
 

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Thanks for the reply. I have been pretty stressed about this but its just the fact that they said that I had been reported to the digital fraud department. For the ones I’ve seen online on the forum where WMT has done a phishing expedition afterwards I don't think they've used that wording. Anyways I don't rlly want this escalated but not sure how to reply without incriminating myself I guess.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,227
Thanks for the reply. I have been pretty stressed about this but its just the fact that they said that I had been reported to the digital fraud department. For the ones I’ve seen online on the forum where WMT has done a phishing expedition afterwards I don't think they've used that wording. Anyways I don't rlly want this escalated but not sure how to reply without incriminating myself I guess.
Well, only you know what the circumstances are.

If you have bought railcard-discounted tickets in the past without holding the relevant railcard they will be able to trace this. However it is not an offence to buy - the offence is to use those tickets. Which they may or may not be able to prove.

So you have a number of options:

Deny everything and hope they can't find the necessary evidence;
Own up to any offences and hope for an out of court settlement;
Ask them for details of any concerns they have.

At this stage the third option seems appropriate.

Of course, if you haven't used discounted tickets to which you are not entitled then you can simply say so.
 

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
I haven’t used any railcards that I wasnt entitled to. I’m just confused on what to say do I ask them why I’ve been reported when I showed her my railcard and everything or do I just send my railcard over and apologise??? I appreciate the advice to ignore them but I’m too scared to at the moment, I really don’t want to be prosecuted.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
I haven’t used any railcards that I wasnt entitled to. I’m just confused on what to say do I ask them why I’ve been reported when I showed her my railcard and everything or do I just send my railcard over and apologise??? I appreciate the advice to ignore them but I’m too scared to at the moment, I really don’t want to be prosecuted.
You don't need to apologise. Just send them the railcards and make no other comment.
 

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Is this a good response?
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that I do hold a valid 16–25 Railcard, which I presented to the revenue officer at the time. For your reference, I have attached a photo of the Railcard below.
Please let me know if this resolves the matter or if there is anything further you require from me. I would be happy to assist.

Yours Sincerely
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
Is this a good response?
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that I do hold a valid 16–25 Railcard, which I presented to the revenue officer at the time. For your reference, I have attached a photo of the Railcard below.
Please let me know if this resolves the matter or if there is anything further you require from me. I would be happy to assist.

Yours Sincerely
Dont invite them into further correspondence. Close instead with "I trust this is satisfactory".
 

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
I’ve finally gotten access to my trainline account. Looking at it I think I’ve short fared a few times which I feel really guilty about it and I will never do it again and feel sick to my stomach. Do I still send the response or do I just admit to what I did? Thanks for all your help.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
They haven't asked you about short fares. So no, don't mention it.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,908
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
I’ve finally gotten access to my trainline account. Looking at it I think I’ve short fared a few times which I feel really guilty about it and I will never do it again and feel sick to my stomach. Do I still send the response or do I just admit to what I did? Thanks for all your help.

Given the wording of the email, I wouldn't recommend responding at all in that case. Although if already done then I wouldn't panic about it.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,633
Location
Isle of Man
I’ve finally gotten access to my trainline account. Looking at it I think I’ve short fared a few times which I feel really guilty about it and I will never do it again and feel sick to my stomach. Do I still send the response or do I just admit to what I did?
If you haven't already sent a response then I would suggest the best course of action is to simply ignore the email in its entirety.

If you have already replied don't worry, just come back for advice if they reply with further questions.
 

whoisdis

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
london
Hey I got this update quite a while back after I sent the email.
Thank you for your response and now full cooperation, we have concluded our investigation and find no case to answer.

However, we must inform you that if your journeys are flagged again a full data request will be made and likewise a full investigation.

Your case has been closed

What does this mean?? Havent they already done a data request I’m a little confused and stressed. Anyways thanks for ur help.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,596
Location
LBK
Hey I got this update quite a while back after I sent the email.
Thank you for your response and now full cooperation, we have concluded our investigation and find no case to answer.

However, we must inform you that if your journeys are flagged again a full data request will be made and likewise a full investigation.

Your case has been closed

What does this mean?? Havent they already done a data request I’m a little confused and stressed. Anyways thanks for ur help.
It says what it says. There is no case to answer, they have closed the case. That's it. No further action.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,327
However, we must inform you that if your journeys are flagged again a full data request will be made and likewise a full investigation.
This bit is basically saying 'don't do it again - even if you never did it in the first place.'

So if you always make sure you have the right train ticket, you shouldn't have any problems with WMT.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top