diamandis
New Member
Hello all,
Short story -
I had an incorrect ticket, and at the ticket barrier a National Rail (?) employee questioned me and took my details. They said they would fill out an incident report and write to me. How long does the letter take to arrive? Do they send out a letter regardless of the outcome (penalty fare, 'case' dropped etc.)? Who must I contact to find out about the status of the incident report and if the letter has been sent?
Long story -
This Monday (31st Oct) was a dreadful day for me. I almost missed the train (Northern Rail, Earlestown to Liverpool LS), so didn't have time to buy a ticket. Usually a conductor comes down the train asking for tickets, so if I haven't had time to buy one at the ticket office, I buy one from the conductor. However, on that day, one didn't show... so I went to the ticket booth at Liverpool. I opened my purse and realised I hadn't picked up the £20 that I use to pay for my train ticket each day... so I panicked... and I asked for a ticket from Edge Hill to Lime Street as that was all I could afford from the change in my purse. After buying the ticket, a National Rail (?) employee pulled me aside and questioned me... again I panicked, and lied about my situation, as I was terrified of receiving a fine for an incorrect ticket (as I have paid for a full ticket every day for the past 3 years, and this has never happened before). So I told the employee I had come from earlestown, got off at edge hill to meet someone, then got on the next train to liverpool and bought a ticket for that journey, after throwing away my previous journey ticket. The employee took my details and said he'd review the incident, write a report, then write to me. How long does this letter usually take to arrive? Will I receive a letter either way (whether they've decided to charge me a penalty, or just a formal warning etc.)? I've read on both the Northern and National Rail sites that I have 14 days to respond before it's escalated further. Is this 14 days from the letter being sent out or 14 days from the incident? as its almost been a week, and not got a letter yet. I'm terrified incase it's got lost in the post, and the issue gets taken further because I didnt get a letter. Who can I contact to see if it has been sent?
I just want to pay the penalty fare, learn my lesson and get it over and done with. I don't want it escalating, going to court and receiving a criminal record. Nothing like this has happened before, and I'm not the type of person to cheat a system or avoid paying fare... so I am really upset and worried what will happen... I'm not even sleeping because of it.
Thankyou for any help!
Short story -
I had an incorrect ticket, and at the ticket barrier a National Rail (?) employee questioned me and took my details. They said they would fill out an incident report and write to me. How long does the letter take to arrive? Do they send out a letter regardless of the outcome (penalty fare, 'case' dropped etc.)? Who must I contact to find out about the status of the incident report and if the letter has been sent?
Long story -
This Monday (31st Oct) was a dreadful day for me. I almost missed the train (Northern Rail, Earlestown to Liverpool LS), so didn't have time to buy a ticket. Usually a conductor comes down the train asking for tickets, so if I haven't had time to buy one at the ticket office, I buy one from the conductor. However, on that day, one didn't show... so I went to the ticket booth at Liverpool. I opened my purse and realised I hadn't picked up the £20 that I use to pay for my train ticket each day... so I panicked... and I asked for a ticket from Edge Hill to Lime Street as that was all I could afford from the change in my purse. After buying the ticket, a National Rail (?) employee pulled me aside and questioned me... again I panicked, and lied about my situation, as I was terrified of receiving a fine for an incorrect ticket (as I have paid for a full ticket every day for the past 3 years, and this has never happened before). So I told the employee I had come from earlestown, got off at edge hill to meet someone, then got on the next train to liverpool and bought a ticket for that journey, after throwing away my previous journey ticket. The employee took my details and said he'd review the incident, write a report, then write to me. How long does this letter usually take to arrive? Will I receive a letter either way (whether they've decided to charge me a penalty, or just a formal warning etc.)? I've read on both the Northern and National Rail sites that I have 14 days to respond before it's escalated further. Is this 14 days from the letter being sent out or 14 days from the incident? as its almost been a week, and not got a letter yet. I'm terrified incase it's got lost in the post, and the issue gets taken further because I didnt get a letter. Who can I contact to see if it has been sent?
I just want to pay the penalty fare, learn my lesson and get it over and done with. I don't want it escalating, going to court and receiving a criminal record. Nothing like this has happened before, and I'm not the type of person to cheat a system or avoid paying fare... so I am really upset and worried what will happen... I'm not even sleeping because of it.
Thankyou for any help!