• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder Tours: The Torbay & Dart Explorer 8/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
I'm looking at booking on this trip. I've never been with Pathfinder before, are they any good? What's the bar/catering like?

Traction should be 2x class 50 from Worcester which sounds awesome, does anyone have any ideas what traction will be doing Burton-Worcester though?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I gather this is a DB operated tour so probably a 67. I see there's premier dining on the train - when this is the case, the bar is often limited to a few bottled beers. They might do bacon butties in the morning if there's some left over from the premier diners!
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
I wish I could on go this but have plans already. Hoping I can see it go thru my local town.
 

cambsy

On Moderation
Joined
6 Oct 2011
Messages
1,114
Pathfinder Tours are a good tour company, done over 30 tours with them though not much recent years due to work, know the staff well, and they are a really good bunch, friendly, can recommend doing tours with them.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
Thank you Cambsy for your reassurance. I had a bad experience once with Steam Dreams/WCRC and it's a lot of time, money and effort to get to these tours so I'm a bit more cautious about avoiding poor operators.
 

co-tr-paul

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2016
Messages
1,253
Location
Helston, Cornwall
Pathfinder are much better than any WC operated train. 1990 was my first tour. Used to average around 6 or 7 a year. Sadly now living where I do I can no longer do any railtours without 4 days off work..... !
Yes sometimes on the day thing may go astray but they always do their best. Some great beers too but can run out of popular items. Rolling stock in better condition. See Riviera Trains website too.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
This tour has been re-dated to the 16th of September, which is annoying as it's now in the football season. This is due to the class 50's being unavailable. I suppose they can't win though because is they ran it with anything other than 50's people would complain about that...
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
This tour has been re-dated to the 16th of September, which is annoying as it's now in the football season. This is due to the class 50's being unavailable. I suppose they can't win though because is they ran it with anything other than 50's people would complain about that...

I was gutted the tour was "re-dated" (love the spin) - it would have been my first class 50 rail tour in years of trying! 50/50 indeed!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
Loco for the Burton-Worcester section confirmed as a DB 66 now. Looking forward to this but it's going to be a long day!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I'm going to pop out and see this, does anyone know why it lost time south of Birmingham?

Edit - It'd l made up the time by Exeter, although it was held outside the station for a GWR HST to clear platform 4. Made a fine sight though.
 
Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,729
Location
West Riding
I'm going to pop out and see this, does anyone know why it lost time south of Birmingham?

Edit - It'd l made up the time by Exeter, although it was held outside the station for a GWR HST to clear platform 4. Made a fine sight though.

DB crewing issue. Luckily resolved quickly. Having a great day so far :)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
DB crewing issue. Luckily resolved quickly. Having a great day so far :)

They looked the business going through Exeter, I'll pop out and see them later somewhere. Have a great day Iskra and anyone else that's on it.
 

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2015
Messages
1,223
Epic power out of Paignton on return, we need more 50s down this way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top