• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder annouce closure with final tour on 20th December 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,235
Location
WCML N
Did the tour booklet say how many tours were organised by F&W and Pathfinder?

Looking on the Six Bells site I can find 101 F&W tours and 926 Pathfinder tours that ran between 1973 and 2025.
926?? Over a 52 year operating period, that's an eaverage of 17 a year, or one every three weeks. Were there really that many??
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,475
Location
Somerset
926?? Over a 52 year operating period, that's an eaverage of 17 a year, or one every three weeks. Were there really that many??
Maybe counting “mini tours” separately. The early 90s “Lancastrians” would have chalked up a fair number in a single weekend.
 

SW Rover

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
107
Location
E Mids
926?? Over a 52 year operating period, that's an eaverage of 17 a year, or one every three weeks. Were there really that many??
Maybe counting “mini tours” separately. The early 90s “Lancastrians” would have chalked up a fair number in a single weekend.

I was surprised by the total number and only counted each tour once and not separate for mini tours or multiple trip tours etc. In the 90's 30 tours a year was the norm.

Now if I had more time on my hands it would be good to work out how many different locos were used on these tours.
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Looks like RTC Diesel Day Trips 2026 are in the Pathfinder footprint. Anybody know if any Pathfinder staff have moved over? There's a huge similarity....
 

31160

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2018
Messages
1,279
Looks like RTC Diesel Day Trips 2026 are in the Pathfinder footprint. Anybody know if any Pathfinder staff have moved over? There's a huge similarity....
TBF it may be more WCR offering the already specified tours at a cheap price to RTC to check the market for them, but as pathfinder collapsed due to the vanilla traction and the state of the stock and as they aren't changing anytime soon I fail to see the attraction myself
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I was surprised by the total number and only counted each tour once and not separate for mini tours or multiple trip tours etc. In the 90's 30 tours a year was the norm.

Now if I had more time on my hands it would be good to work out how many different locos were used on these tours.
There was a list in Railways Illustrated a couple of issues back, although it admitted there were some 'unknowns' on kegs of a few tours from the Plymouth start point, and possibly a few trips missing.
 

Harpo

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2024
Messages
3,972
Location
Newport
TBF it may be more WCR offering the already specified tours at a cheap price to RTC to check the market for them, but as pathfinder collapsed due to the vanilla traction and the state of the stock and as they aren't changing anytime soon I fail to see the attraction myself
I’ve mentioned on here before that low prices make some RTC standard class kettle trips at £115 (e.g. Whitby) cheaper than diesel railtour operators.

I’d not call 37s ‘vanilla’ and 40145 is definitely a tasty proposition too.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,403
Looks like RTC Diesel Day Trips 2026 are in the Pathfinder footprint. Anybody know if any Pathfinder staff have moved over? There's a huge similarity....
I suspect that RTC have a more comprehensive malling list than 'West Coast Railtours' which has traditionally only operated from the north.
 

The_Train

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2018
Messages
5,247
For some enthusiasts, even vanilla is appreciated on the mainline.
Yep, I think some people still think we are in the 1980s with a raft of locos sitting around on a multitude of massive depots waiting to be called into railtour action at any time. My only issue with Pathfinder by the end was simply the amount of tours they were cancelling creating a lack of trust in handing money over to them but I will have no issue in keeping an eye on RTC for diesel tours having thoroughly enjoyed my steam/diesel mix with them to Reading last year
 

bleeder4

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2019
Messages
792
Location
Worcester
I've booked on the Newquay one, as the PF one got cancelled (through no fault of theirs, I should say). Amusing typo on the booking form - "Worchester" instead of "Worcester". It's how a lot of people unfamiliar with the city pronounce it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top