• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

passengers who stand when there are seats available

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
Amidst the regular comments about trains that are overcrowded I am struck by the number of times I see the opposite phenonemon-passengers who choose to stand when there are seats available.

What is most frustrating us that they often choose to stand in the doorway, giving the impression to other passengers that there are no seats available, unless you squeeze your way past them to check.

I can see why when someone is only undertaking a short journey some might choose to stand ( although I'd always prefer a seat) but I see this happening with passengers on journies of half an hour or more.

I can equally see that a small number of passengers may wish to stand because health issues make it difficult for them to sit, but not in the numbers I see standing. Why would most people choose to stand when there is a seat available?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ert47

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
688
For me, its a mix of short journey and standing near the door because I need to make my next connection/running late(-ish) for work/other people are "slow".

Pretty much boils down to impatience. :3
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
It depends on what seats are available. Personally I would rather stand than try and squeeze into the middle seat on 3+2 trains.
 

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
I think a lot of the time it's because we're British. Too frightened to say 'excuse me can I sit there please?'. Or in the case of pacers it's too 'cosy' and personal space is invaded when utilising every seat that exists on paper.
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Pretty much boils down to impatience. :3

Or circumstances.

Services to/from Bristol to Patchway are 1 per hour.

If the service from London Paddington rolls into Bath Spa several minutes late (as it frequently did when I used the railways) then it meant that getting the connection to Patchway at Bristol Temple Meads was tight, to say the least.

You needed to be out of that door and down the stairs like a fox down a rabbit hole to make it......otherwise, you got to stand around for an hour on a cold platform.

Hence, you stand and at least give yourself the best chance that you can.
 

LWB

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2009
Messages
245
It depends on what seats are available. Personally I would rather stand than try and squeeze into the middle seat on 3+2 trains.

Agreed, especially if
(a) you are a well built 6' 4" and
(b) it's one of those dreadful 'airline' (pah) seats with no window.

I would far rather stand for two hours than travel in a cage.
 

Sleepy

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
1,833
Location
East Anglia
Close to toilet if they feel unwell ?
Mainly seen on 8 cars - front 4 wedged while trailing unit has lots of empty seats ! Must be through barriers within 30 seconds of arriving in London syndrome <D
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I've done it on occasion when I've not had much sleep to ensure I don't fall asleep and miss my stop :lol:
 

big_dirt

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2011
Messages
162
As an able-bodied adult male, I see myself as least deserving of a seat. If I think all seats will be later occupied, I'll stand to save myself from giving up my seat later.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
I'll often stand by the window at the end of the cars on Underground trains when it's hot. Also sometimes if I'm in uniform and know the train will get busy later in the journey I might stand the whole way.
 

bronzeonion

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2009
Messages
673
Location
West London
Sometimes I'll decide to stand on trains because i've been sitting down for most of my time and it's not good to be sat down all the time.

Other times, it's on a 3+2 train where I wont even bother if either side of a bay of 6 is taken.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
I've only ever done this when going one stop on a local with a high stop density (eg Southampton Airport (Parkway) to Swaythling). Any more than this, I usually sit down if possible.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Sometimes people (in particular teenagers) seem to want to stay together as a group standing rather than spreading themselves around the train seated.

On other occasions the train may have had all seats occupied but some people who were standing don't bother to go and sit down when seats become vacant because they're getting off soon.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,944
We're all on priv passes and keeping seats free for fare paying customers.
 

tony6499

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2012
Messages
914
I am disabled and find it easier to stand at times , not all disabled people need to sit
 
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
649
Location
Helsby
As I'm 6ft 3in and of stout stature I will not sit on a row of three seats. They are just too narrow. I would rather stand.
Apart from that I will search for seat on any 2+2 coach.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
If I can't get a forward facing window seat ( ideally an airline one ) then I'll often stand.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I once boarded an FGW HST at Bristol Parkway and on opening the door a lad who had been sittong in the vestibule propped up against the door fell out (none the worse for it though) There were plenty of seats available at the time. What is worse than standing is young people like the clown I have just referred to who sit on the floor in the vestibules even though seats available.
 

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
On a Voyager on Sunday, was only going one stop (Banbury - Oxford), but there were no seats, so ended up sitting on the floor in the vestibule. If there are seats though, I will sit in them
 

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
2,749
Location
Cheshunt
I'm 6'7" so sitting in the middle is impossible and sometimes sitting opposite is impossible too
 

Rapidash

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
686
Location
Torbaydos, Devon
I once boarded an FGW HST at Bristol Parkway and on opening the door a lad who had been sittong in the vestibule propped up against the door fell out (none the worse for it though) There were plenty of seats available at the time. What is worse than standing is young people like the clown I have just referred to who sit on the floor in the vestibules even though seats available.

I think some may do that as a means to avoid the dreaded paying-for-ticket scenario. If they see the a ticket-machine wielding eager person wandering up the carriage, they tend to sneak into the looe whilst they pass by.
 

8J

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2009
Messages
679
I cant rember the last time I sat on a Merseyrail train. I stand usually because of the heat - the windows allow a nice breeze in the summer and in the winter, the heating vents are by thr doors and also prolonged periods of sitting will ruin your posture in no time.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
I think a lot of the time it's because we're British. Too frightened to say 'excuse me can I sit there please?'. Or in the case of pacers it's too 'cosy' and personal space is invaded when utilising every seat that exists on paper.

This a hundred times. I do it, I've seen others do it (men and women looking at the carriage, seeing one or two seats available but next to someone who looks comfy, look away again).

Standing when there's seats is not the greatest crime against nature, and in any case, if it's down to British character trait, I'd rather it kept than solved.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,335
Location
Bolton
I often stand for a few reasons, sometimes for a few minutes because I'm bored or I've been sat down for too long or want to have a look at the next station. Alternatively it might be down to the view. In a pacer for example the view is much better from standing that sitting. Similar story in other classes. I spend around half the time on Metrolink stood up too, because the view is so much better! If I can't get the seat at the front, I'll stand near the front on the DLR also.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top