• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passengers who refuse to allow others to sit next to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
Afer being coughed and sneezed all over by someone who sat next to me the other week, I was wondering if there is a religion I could join that would give me a whole bay of four to myself...

Then I suddenly realised if I converted to Jedi, maybe I could just sit there and tell people "these aren't the seats you're looking for" :)
 

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
No belief or religion should be immune from critisism.
No, they shouldn't. But it seems to me that there are some contributors to this thread who are using the topic as a convenient excuse to make racist generalisations about an entire section of the community based on nothing more than internet hearsay. It's unpleasant, and I'm a little disappointed that the moderators allow it to continue.
 

DiscoStu

Member
Joined
26 May 2010
Messages
323
Location
Northampton, UK
No, they shouldn't. But it seems to me that there are some contributors to this thread who are using the topic as a convenient excuse to make racist generalisations about an entire section of the community based on nothing more than internet hearsay. It's unpleasant, and I'm a little disappointed that the moderators allow it to continue.



I don't think anything untoward has been said. I mean, how far do you want to take censorship? I personally would be disappointed if the moderators stepped in on what for the most part has been a reasonable debate.

Some people could have been a bit more tactful with their choice of wording, but the general gist of what has been said has been more than fair in my opinion.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
I'm always hoping that (attractive female) people will sit next to me. ;)
The new rule about paying a ticket for a seat taken with luggage, what happens if someone offers to do so on a full and standing train?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
I am not after any messages/posts being censored. However, I am not sure about the wording used by some posters - and it reminds me of many other forums where people have said similar things, which if allowed to continue can suddenly turn into outright hatred and admissions of links to the EDL, BNP etc.

I'd not be happy if someone asked me not to sit next to them for religious reasons, but I doubt I'd suddenly go ape and climb over them and tell them to just accept it or **** off.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I'm always hoping that (attractive female) people will sit next to me. ;)

Me too, but it did once happen, and I struck up a conversation and she was the most dullest airhead I've ever come across. She was drop dead gorgeous though!
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Me too, but it did once happen, and I struck up a conversation and she was the most dullest airhead I've ever come across. She was drop dead gorgeous though!

Don't forget, behind every beautiful woman is a man who's fed up with her s****!
 

rdwarr

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2012
Messages
401
Location
Stevenage
Afer being coughed and sneezed all over by someone who sat next to me the other week, I was wondering if there is a religion I could join that would give me a whole bay of four to myself...

There is. Just sit there reading a copy of "The Watchtower" and smiling at everybody walking down the corridor, patting the seat next to you as they get closer.
 
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
989
Location
Blackpool south Shore
There is. Just sit there reading a copy of "The Watchtower" and smiling at everybody walking down the corridor, patting the seat next to you as they get closer.

Great idea :lol: ...until a JW sits next to you! :lol:

Have a couple copies next to the bog! There are some interesting articles in it. It has been a real godsend when the paper has run out!
If there is an empty seat, qué? qué? I will do my best to sit in it!!
 

lewisf

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
381
Location
Kingston/Surbiton
Funnily enough, quite a few times recently I've had women in full burqas or niqabs come and sit next to me on the train. I must appear very welcoming.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
We do not, and thank goodness cannot, go down that road in this country. We are not a muslim country, therefore we do not arrange our public facilities around muslim beliefs or requirements. To do so would be discriminatory against the non-muslim majority of the population. If that is a problem then there are other countries which may be more appropriate places to live.

If a muslim woman used that excuse on me, I think I'd go mental.

It angers me so much when people use their religious beliefs (all of which are complete twaddle in my opinion, but that's for another thread on another site) for their own advantage, and think that just because they "feel it", everybody else has to respect it.

One ticket = one seat. End of discussion. If you don't like it, buy a car.

I disagree with this interpretation when reading Mutant Lemming's full post. There is a difference between not actively discriminating on the grounds of religion and giving members of a religion privileges above and beyond other passengers. To me that would be religious discrimination against those who are not of a certain religion.
Agreed with the above three. I treat everyone equally regardless of belief or lack thereof. No special privileges and no special detriments.
I find it worse when they sit next to you under similar circumstances. Definately not etiquette. Another one is when limbs encroach over your side of the line (had that yesterday morning and had to undertake some careful elbow manouvering to regain the upper hand).
I suppose I could sort of understand that (two people sitting side by side at a table with empty seats opposite) as I understand some people get travel sick mo easily when travelling backwards.
Stuff her religion. She's on public transport so she should bloody well behave in a polite way like 90% off us do. I would as others have said climb over her and sit myself down next to her. If doesn't like then she can go and stand. :-x

Ken:roll:
Quite. If a person is for whatever reason uncomfortable doing normal day to day activities in a country, they may wish to consider whether it is the right place for them to live.
 

WestRiding

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2012
Messages
1,014
Cant say i have ever had such a problem. But if, religious or not, there is a seat empty and i have i valid ticket, i WILL sit down in it, even if it meant climbing over said person.
 

AndyLandy

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2011
Messages
1,323
Location
Southampton, UK
I travel to southend every 3 weeks on a Friday rush hour out of London and I can't find a seat and if somebody is sat in the aisle and there is a spare window seat, I just step over there legs and sit in the window seat. They aren't going to ask you to move as they have to get up?

Surely it's polite to at least ask first. I tend to prefer to sit in an aisle seat and will take one even if there's an empty window seat next to it. I don't see why I should feel obliged to move into the window seat, but I'm more than happy to let someone in to take the window seat if the train is busy (or even if it isn't).

The thing is, I've frequently found that people don't ask. It's more common for me on the bus rather than the train, but even on a packed bus, I can end up with an empty seat next to me, because nobody attempts to sit there.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,361
Location
Bolton
Surely it's polite to at least ask first. I tend to prefer to sit in an aisle seat and will take one even if there's an empty window seat next to it. I don't see why I should feel obliged to move into the window seat, but I'm more than happy to let someone in to take the window seat if the train is busy (or even if it isn't).

The thing is, I've frequently found that people don't ask. It's more common for me on the bus rather than the train, but even on a packed bus, I can end up with an empty seat next to me, because nobody attempts to sit there.

They're probably all standing there cursing your name, thinking how rude you are for "taking up" two seats!
 

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Joined
12 Jul 2011
Messages
1,290
If I can find a free seat then I'll sit on it. If not I'll find an empty luggage rack (you can tell I travel xc! Even fitted 10 people standing in the loo just to get on!)
 

AndyLandy

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2011
Messages
1,323
Location
Southampton, UK
They're probably all standing there cursing your name, thinking how rude you are for "taking up" two seats!

Indeed! That's almost certainly the case, and I always feel awkward and guilty about it, but if anyone asked, I'd be more than happy to let them sit.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,361
Location
Bolton
If I can find a free seat then I'll sit on it. If not I'll find an empty luggage rack (you can tell I travel xc! Even fitted 10 people standing in the loo just to get on!)

You're kidding right?

That would be so awkward!!!

Imagine, the door would close and everyone would just be stood there in a small space. And what if someone actually wanted to use the loo!?
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
If I can find a free seat then I'll sit on it. If not I'll find an empty luggage rack (you can tell I travel xc! Even fitted 10 people standing in the loo just to get on!)

Imagine, the door would close and everyone would just be stood there in a small space. And what if someone actually wanted to use the loo!?

I've been on a Voyager which was so wedged that the only place to stand was a disabled toilet with about 15 other passengers.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
I'm always hoping that (attractive female) people will sit next to me. ;)
The new rule about paying a ticket for a seat taken with luggage, what happens if someone offers to do so on a full and standing train?

You chaps would have been jealous of me yesterday as I had a very attractive female sat opposite all the way from Leeds to Carlisle. Completely wasted on me - I'd have preferred to have been surrounded by McFly myself.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,800
Location
Somewhere, not in London
You chaps would have been jealous of me yesterday as I had a very attractive female sat opposite all the way from Leeds to Carlisle. Completely wasted on me - I'd have preferred to have been surrounded by McFly myself.

I was wondering how long that would take...

Remember being on a bay of four on a 350/2 with another male (he won't like me for saying that), two; what could be regarded as rather attractive, females came to sit opposite, doing that insidiously flirtatious looking at us all the way to Bletchley, thinking they'd get some form of 'hire, reward or free alcohol' from us as they so frequently expect.

I'm afraid they where rather out of luck, for one, they went to Milton Keynes and we got off at Bletchley (for the NMC), also felt the need to get off by standing up with a subtle cheek kiss before walking off the train hand in hand, oh the look of disappointment; (We both look like we have money)...

I'm sure some others on here would have excessed their tickets to Milton Keynes from Bletchley ;)

PS: My spell checker keeps trying to correct Bletchley to Stretchable...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
I was wondering how long that would take...

Remember being on a bay of four on a 350/2 with another male (he won't like me for saying that), two; what could be regarded as rather attractive, females came to sit opposite, doing that insidiously flirtatious looking at us all the way to Bletchley, thinking they'd get some form of 'hire, reward or free alcohol' from us as they so frequently expect.

I'm afraid they where rather out of luck, for one, they went to Milton Keynes and we got off at Bletchley (for the NMC), also felt the need to get off by standing up with a subtle cheek kiss before walking off the train hand in hand, oh the look of disappointment; (We both look like we have money)...

I'm sure some others on here would have excessed their tickets to Milton Keynes from Bletchley ;)

PS: My spell checker keeps trying to correct Bletchley to Stretchable...

:lol: Fortunately I'm far too much of a scruffy git for such misunderstandings to arise (unless someone mistook me for a dot-com millionaire) !
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
One time on a XC Voyager I had to sit at a table with a family on holiday from China.

It was great, they shared all their provisions with me! :D

PS: My spell checker keeps trying to correct Bletchley to Stretchable...

That speaks volumes about you... :P
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,361
Location
Bolton
Since we're telling stories... When I was doing the Cumbrian Coast, the train was deserted all the way Carslile - Barrow in Furness, where it became jammed. I was sat in a four, but a large group of middle aged women filled up the 7 remaining seats (including the ones across the aisle). Lot's of Vodka, and cider, tripping over heels, squealing and shouting and almost an hour later, the opportunity presented itself to for me to move to the other coach. The worst part was listening to the list of things one woman kept in her suitcase when going away - as you can imagine, it was not pretty.
 

williamus

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2012
Messages
42
Surely it's polite to at least ask first. I tend to prefer to sit in an aisle seat and will take one even if there's an empty window seat next to it. I don't see why I should feel obliged to move into the window seat, but I'm more than happy to let someone in to take the window seat if the train is busy (or even if it isn't).

The thing is, I've frequently found that people don't ask. It's more common for me on the bus rather than the train, but even on a packed bus, I can end up with an empty seat next to me, because nobody attempts to sit there.

Agreed. I'm quite long legged and big with it (oh, all right - fat) and the design of a lot of stock results in there being less room in the window seat, with or without tables. If I'm occupying an aisle seat, I always make it very clear that the window seat is available and that I'm very happy to get up to let a standing passenger in, but what I won't do is "budge up mate".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top