tsr
Established Member
It comes down to staffing levels. I know EMT had control staff out and about all over the network when they first took over, but that lasted a matter of months until people started getting promoted or moving away, and then cost control reduced staffing levels a bit and there simply weren't staff free to do such things.
Interestingly, the only Control function which comes out in a good light in this report is that of GTR, which funnily enough is one which has retained "route learning" for most of its controllers. The structure of said "route learning" is nothing like as structured as what train crew do, but it does mandate at least several days in which a controller is expected to familiarise themselves with their patch.
The manager in question at GTR would almost certainly have been familiar with the approximate layout of the lines at Peckham Rye, would have known about the typical peak time passenger numbers and the risks from detraining them at that location.
Fragmentation of the railway not helpful here of course , - as off duty staff of another company might not feel "qualified" to assist. Regrettably.
* even more helpful if they were passed out on safety stuff - but even then , it is the issue of "I do not work for your company" ......
I've stepped in on a couple of occasions with operators which definitely aren't my own, and nobody's ever had a problem with it. I work on the National Rail side of things, but I've helped out on the Tube and Tramlink before. Good customer care skills and basic knowledge, correctly applied and with the agreement of fully competent staff, can go a long way.
I have also been briefed during training that I am expected to help, wherever feasible, in the event of a train accident - and that it could potentially be a disciplinary offence if I am found not to have offered my services in the unfortunate event of any person being hit by a train on which I am a passenger, so long as I would be fit to work (ie. no drugs/alcohol in my system, not fatigued etc.). On a local basis, this concept is not just common sense - it harks back to a grim incident many years ago in which a train was involved in a fatality and some off-duty members of staff would have been able to help, but chose not to make themselves known until they waved their passes around when alternative transport was being dealt with afterwards. The company's trainers were understandably upset enough to introduce requirements during training which have never been quibbled about.
Last edited: