• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed Trainee Train Driver (GTR) assessment day, next steps…

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl grindrod

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2022
Messages
71
Location
Bacup
Hi Mate,

Apologies for the late response, I haven't been on here in a little while (Still awaiting date for DMI).

In regards to study materials, the only additional thing I purchased was a group bourdon dots test book which used actual dots rather than letters/symbols like some of the material provided. Apart from that I used the materials provided by GTR when they sent them out to me along with the date for my assessment. One thing that I feel really helps put your mind at ease is looking through the forum about what to expect from each test, not so much learning exactly how to do it but more so knowing what is expected of you and how the test works. A huge thing is actually understanding what's required for that particular test, you will get a practice run on the day so if there is anything at all you're not 100% sure of just ask the tutor at that point. A lot of the practice material you find wont be identical to what you will do on the day so my general tactic was to practice enough to get a feel for the tests but not overdo it and become too familiar with something that may not be exactly what I will do on the day. Hopefully that helps but if you have any more questions just ask! Good luck!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Hi,

I'm still yet to do my DMI & MMI, so may not be based anywhere yet haha!

I have applied for Cricklewood depot.

Thanks for the support!
That's brilliant advice.. really appreciate you getting back to me I have my psychometric assessments tomorrow for transport for Wales, wishing you the best of luck for your interviews... hoping I get to that stage too
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
That's brilliant advice.. really appreciate you getting back to me I have my psychometric assessments tomorrow for transport for Wales, wishing you the best of luck for your interviews... hoping I get to that stage too
Thanks mate! Good luck for tomorrow!
 

amansid

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2021
Messages
68
Location
London
To those that recently passed the Mini Scaat, anyone been invited to the Psychometic Tests? Any updates ?
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
To give you a ballpark figure I waited 10 months between my mini scaat and psychometric tests. That was with GTR. Some will wait less and others will wait more, from the emails I was receiving it was randomly selected each time they had available spaces for the psychometric tests
To those that recently passed the Mini Scaat, anyone been invited to the Psychometic Tests? Any updates ?
 

MatthewLdn

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2020
Messages
194
Location
London
To give you a ballpark figure I waited 10 months between my mini scaat and psychometric tests. That was with GTR. Some will wait less and others will wait more, from the emails I was receiving it was randomly selected each time they had available spaces for the psychometric tests
I still haven’t even been sent the link for the mini scaat and sent off my application in September. They could at least email me to say that my application will no longer be progressing if that’s the case.
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
I still haven’t even been sent the link for the mini scaat and sent off my application in September. They could at least email me to say that my application will no longer be progressing if that’s the case.
Honestly the whole process is very lengthy, I wouldn’t write it off. Have you tried chasing up and checking on the progress of the application?
 

MatthewLdn

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2020
Messages
194
Location
London
Honestly the whole process is very lengthy, I wouldn’t write it off. Have you tried chasing up and checking on the progress of the application?
I sent an email a few weeks back but no response. Status online just says submitted.
 

KJCross1983

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2021
Messages
56
Location
Chichester
GTR are currently fast tracking Women and people of the BAME community for all jobs. If you are a white male, you will be placed in the long line called a talent pool.
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
GTR are currently fast tracking Women and people of the BAME community for all jobs. If you are a white male, you will be placed in the long line called a talent pool.
Rubbish, you won't be fast tracked at all , you'll be waiting just like everyone else, yes they are encouraging people of those character to apply but if you think you'll jump the queue then think again.
 

Driver_wife

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2021
Messages
72
Location
Horsham
GTR are currently fast tracking Women and people of the BAME community for all jobs. If you are a white male, you will be placed in the long line called a talent pool.
Not true.. In my training group we have 3 women 4 men.. 3 of which are white males - all of us were in the pool 2-4 years depending if internal or external. Completely untrue…
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
Hi guys,

Got my email today with the date for my DMI (next Wednesday)

If anyone has any final words of wisdom over the next 9 days feel free to fire away haha!
 

Twotwo

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2018
Messages
677
Hi guys,

Got my email today with the date for my DMI (next Wednesday)

If anyone has any final words of wisdom over the next 9 days feel free to fire away haha!

Research about the company, try and find out their visions and goals and try to relate to it.


Its been a while since ive done the dmi but these are the themes i can think off for now. Best to cover all base.


Examples of problem solving and team work
Examples of working alone
Examples of working under pressure
Example of an emergency and what you did
Delivered excellent customer service
Why you want to be a train driver - Best time to mention their goals and visions and how it fits into yours.

Best of luck.
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
Research about the company, try and find out their visions and goals and try to relate to it.


Its been a while since ive done the dmi but these are the themes i can think off for now. Best to cover all base.


Examples of problem solving and team work
Examples of working alone
Examples of working under pressure
Example of an emergency and what you did
Delivered excellent customer service
Why you want to be a train driver - Best time to mention their goals and visions and how it fits into yours.

Best of luck.
Thanks a lot mate, some great advice there!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to my upcoming DMI.
As far as the company info side of things goes I feel like I pretty much know what to expect there & also why I want to work for the company/ why I want to become a train driver.

It’s more the “describe a time when..” part I’m wondering about. Could anyone who’s completed a DMI or multiple DMI’s shed any light on roughly how many of those questions there are? Were there any of those questions you didn’t prep for and really weren’t expecting?

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
Hi guys,

Just got the email to say I have passed my DMI and the next step is the MMI. Seems crazy to think that’s the last step now! Very happy as you can imagine!

Could anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect for the MMI please? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated, I’m going to start preparing for it straight away just incase I get a date fairly soon (wishful thinking haha)

Also could anyone please tell me what the GTR medical entails?

Thanks in advance!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi guys,

Just got the email to say I have passed my DMI and the next step is the MMI. Seems crazy to think that’s the last step now! Very happy as you can imagine!

Could anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect for the MMI please? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated, I’m going to start preparing for it straight away just incase I get a date fairly soon (wishful thinking haha)

Also could anyone please tell me what the GTR medical entails?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I probably should of worded this a little better with the MMI question. Does anyone know the 6 questions asked? I jotted down in my notes what I believe were my 6 answers when I did my assessment day. If I knew the questions though I could have another example for each just incase they’re needed. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:

RyanC87

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2022
Messages
185
Location
Holyhead
Hi guys,

Just got the email to say I have passed my DMI and the next step is the MMI. Seems crazy to think that’s the last step now! Very happy as you can imagine!

Could anyone give me a rough idea of what to expect for the MMI please? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated, I’m going to start preparing for it straight away just incase I get a date fairly soon (wishful thinking haha)

Also could anyone please tell me what the GTR medical entails?

Thanks in advance!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Sorry I probably should of worded this a little better with the MMI question. Does anyone know the 6 questions asked? I jotted down in my notes what I believe were my 6 answers when I did my assessment day. If I knew the questions though I could have another example for each just incase they’re needed. Thanks in advance!
You will get a copy of your 6 questions on the day. Answer in the star method given as much detail as possible linking in with the railway. So safety, rules, procedures etc

Medical is height weight eyes and hearing. Piss test for drugs and a breath test for alcohol. Some do ecg. You'll be fine
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
You will get a copy of your 6 questions on the day. Answer in the star method given as much detail as possible linking in with the railway. So safety, rules, procedures etc

Medical is height weight eyes and hearing. Piss test for drugs and a breath test for alcohol. Some do ecg. You'll be fine
Perfect thanks mate. So with the 6 questions is that literally the whole MMI? So in terms of interview prep it’s just prepping for the “describe a time” questions?

Also once you get there and get given your copy do you start right away?

Thanks for the help mate
 

RyanC87

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2022
Messages
185
Location
Holyhead
Perfect thanks mate. So with the 6 questions is that literally the whole MMI? So in terms of interview prep it’s just prepping for the “describe a time” questions?

Also once you get there and get given your copy do you start right away?

Thanks for the help mate
Yea that's the mmi.

I did mine with tfw but it's the same format, mine was quite relaxed but she did say to answer with star.

Yea that's right. Tell me a time you work well....... Etc.
Just keep relating them back to the main train driver principles and you'll fly through.

When I did mmi we did the computer tests first then into the mmi questions. I'd imagine if you've done all of that you will go straight into the interview.
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted on here! My last update was passing my DMI with GTR 4 months ago! I have now received a date for my MMI with not much notice at all but I’m definitely grateful! If anyone has any final words of wisdom please fire away (especially if you’ve had one recently).. the nerves are kicking in now!
 

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire
Hi Guys,

So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool.

So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews.

That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon!

I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also!

Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!
 

Melissa9891

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2023
Messages
12
Location
London
Hi Guys,

So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool.

So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews.

That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon!

I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also!

Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!
Congratulations that’s amazing news.
The tocs seem to do things in their own time but you were patient and now everything’s going to plan!
 

QPRFCuk

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2021
Messages
12
Location
West London
Hi Guys, So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool. So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews. That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon! I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also! Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!
Hi Guys, So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool. So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews. That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon! I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also! Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!
Hi Guys, So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool. So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews. That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon! I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also! Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi Dpt2 - Huge congratulations to you!
I have my MMI next week & was wondering if you could share here or by DM, how the MMI went - as in how formal it was, if you felt they were trying to catch you out at all & how long it went on for? Whatever the questions are, I assume they ask you stuff like why did you responded in that way? How did it make you feel? Etc
 
Last edited:

dpt2

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2022
Messages
28
Location
bedfordshire

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi Dpt2 - Huge congratulations to you!
I have my MMI next week & was wondering if you could share here or by DM, how the MMI went - as in how formal it was, if you felt they were trying to catch you out at all & how long it went on for? Whatever the questions are, I assume they ask you stuff like why did you responded in that way? How did it make you feel? Etc
Hi mate, thank you!

So the MMI for me was pretty much as expected after looking through the forum. It is just a case of preparing for the 6 questions as well as you can & using honest examples. You won’t get caught out with anything if you’re honest. I had a few questions like “how did that make you feel” but not many at all. I made sure when I prepped my answers that I went into quite a bit of detail and followed the STAR method. I think the more descriptive you can be and the more you cover in your answers the less questions you will get from my experience. My main advice would be use honest examples, incorporate driver qualities into your answers, base your decisions around safety. For me personally it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it didn’t feel any more pressured than a normal interview.

Good luck with it!
 

QPRFCuk

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2021
Messages
12
Location
West London
Hi mate, thank you!

So the MMI for me was pretty much as expected after looking through the forum. It is just a case of preparing for the 6 questions as well as you can & using honest examples. You won’t get caught out with anything if you’re honest. I had a few questions like “how did that make you feel” but not many at all. I made sure when I prepped my answers that I went into quite a bit of detail and followed the STAR method. I think the more descriptive you can be and the more you cover in your answers the less questions you will get from my experience. My main advice would be use honest examples, incorporate driver qualities into your answers, base your decisions around safety. For me personally it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it didn’t feel any more pressured than a normal interview.

Good luck with it!
Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, I was pretty prepared for my manager’s interview a couple of weeks ago, so I’ll just keep that momentum & focus going into the MMI.

Cheers
 

Aviator88

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
323
Hi mate, thank you!

So the MMI for me was pretty much as expected after looking through the forum. It is just a case of preparing for the 6 questions as well as you can & using honest examples. You won’t get caught out with anything if you’re honest. I had a few questions like “how did that make you feel” but not many at all. I made sure when I prepped my answers that I went into quite a bit of detail and followed the STAR method. I think the more descriptive you can be and the more you cover in your answers the less questions you will get from my experience. My main advice would be use honest examples, incorporate driver qualities into your answers, base your decisions around safety. For me personally it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it didn’t feel any more pressured than a normal interview.

Good luck with it!

This was definitely the case for me. Be thorough in your answers and it won't feel like a 'grilling'!
 

Sonkicks

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2023
Messages
35
Location
Hastings
Hi Guys,

So a little update on my journey! It’s been a crazy few weeks but I wanted to share it on here to give people some hope who have been waiting a long time for a certain stage of the interview process or waiting in the talent pool.

So up until my MMI the process was pretty long, I originally applied back in November 2020 I believe and there’s been a lot of time between assessments and interviews.

That all changed recently lol! So I had my MMI last week and passed which I was over the moon about! I then got a call the same day offering me a course in exactly 4 weeks. I called my manager and my notice went in. I then had my medical a few days later and passed. I then received my contract and uniform order forms within a couple of days and that’s now all signed and done! It’s moved at a million miles an hour since my MMI and I’m of course over the moon!

I just wanted to share this positive experience as I know there’s a lot of negative also!

Good luck to everyone else whatever stage of the process you are at currently!
Congrats and hope the process is going well! I about a month ago passed my assessment, awaiting a date for my MMI then DMI and so on. Hope to get my MMI soon and proceed onwards
 

Eager girl

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2023
Messages
20
Location
South East

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi Dpt2 - Huge congratulations to you!
I have my MMI next week & was wondering if you could share here or by DM, how the MMI went - as in how formal it was, if you felt they were trying to catch you out at all & how long it went on for? Whatever the questions are, I assume they ask you stuff like why did you responded in that way? How did it make you feel? Etc
I have my MMI coming up soon and have a 1.5 hour time slot which seems quite long. I have already done the SJE so was just wondering how long your MMI was and if you also had a long time slot allocated.
 

Stains

New Member
Joined
4 Jul 2023
Messages
1
Location
London
Hi All,

I'm at the interview stage with my application with GTR, Southern. I applied in Dec 2020 I honestly can't even remember what depot I applied for.

I have an interview this Thursday (14/09/23)
However, I'm unsure as to whether i's going to be DMI or MMI, my email just says interview.
It's booked as taking place at Go Ahead House in Croydon.
I was emailed a link to take a "Hogan Personality Questionnaire" that I had to complete online last week prior to this interview.

I assumed it's going to be MMI, but now the nerves and panic is setting in with 2 days to go that I'm really not sure!!

I've been going over my responses to the 6 "pre-interview questions" we were given at the end of the assessment day which I had back in July this year. But I haven't prepped for DMI... I'm now attempting to prep for both interviews as I can't seem to find any concrete information to say what interview I am attending.

Is anyone else at the same stage as me and have their interview booked? Any advice would be really appreciated.

TWO
HOURS
LATER...


(^if you know, you know...nevermind)

....Yeh so I've realised it's most definitely DMI and in conclusion; I am an idiot.
I shall be doing mad research tonight and tomorrow.
Anyone else attending an interview the same day? Best of luck to you too, would be nice to see someone else there too.
I hope you can also take reassurance to the fact that I am drastically underprepared right now.
ahhhh I'm about to have a new entry in my top 10 worst days of my life.
 
Last edited:

A Wild Acorn

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2024
Messages
19
Location
Selhurst
Hi All,

I'm at the interview stage with my application with GTR, Southern. I applied in Dec 2020 I honestly can't even remember what depot I applied for.

I have an interview this Thursday (14/09/23)
However, I'm unsure as to whether i's going to be DMI or MMI, my email just says interview.
It's booked as taking place at Go Ahead House in Croydon.
I was emailed a link to take a "Hogan Personality Questionnaire" that I had to complete online last week prior to this interview.

I assumed it's going to be MMI, but now the nerves and panic is setting in with 2 days to go that I'm really not sure!!

I've been going over my responses to the 6 "pre-interview questions" we were given at the end of the assessment day which I had back in July this year. But I haven't prepped for DMI... I'm now attempting to prep for both interviews as I can't seem to find any concrete information to say what interview I am attending.

Is anyone else at the same stage as me and have their interview booked? Any advice would be really appreciated.

TWO
HOURS
LATER...


(^if you know, you know...nevermind)

....Yeh so I've realised it's most definitely DMI and in conclusion; I am an idiot.
I shall be doing mad research tonight and tomorrow.
Anyone else attending an interview the same day? Best of luck to you too, would be nice to see someone else there too.
I hope you can also take reassurance to the fact that I am drastically underprepared right now.
ahhhh I'm about to have a new entry in my top 10 worst days of my life.
Only just seen this, how did you get on? I have my MMI next week i was wondering if you could remember the 6 questions? as my toc swr only gives you them on the day of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top