• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed Trainee Train Driver Assessment Day with ATW. Any Advice Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgie

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2016
Messages
48
Location
Vale of Glamorgan
Hi, this is my very first post on here but I have been a regular reader for some time.

I recently passed the Trainee Train Driver assessment day with ATW and I am now awaiting the medical (I’ve checked and I meet all medical requirements) and a course start date for some time towards the end of 2017. So I am on tender hooks now, until I hear from ATW Recruitment Team sometime next year.

Only concerns I have at present is with the ATW franchise which is up for tender in 2017, with renewal in 2018. I am pretty confident that ATW will retain the franchise as they have made so many improvements to the railway services within Wales, particularly in the South Wales valleys. Nevertheless, with the Welsh Government considering nationalising the railways in Wales or the unlikely prospect of the franchise being taken over by another TOC, I’m wondering what would happen to me and the others in ATWs Train Driver talent pool?

With that aside and with all going to plan, I am open to any advice or guidance from Trainee Train Drivers currently undergoing their training, qualified Drivers or from Train Driver Instructors, in preparation for my own training next year. I am keen to do as well as I can on the course, as I intend to make a full and rewarding career with ATW, which will take me through to compulsory retirement age.

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,308
The franchise doesn't end until October 2018, so it is unlikely it would have any effect on you, you will probably be almost qualified by then.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
Ironically, I'd start off by saying not to seek advice from any unofficial sources.

Only concerns I have at present is with the ATW franchise which is up for tender in 2017, with renewal in 2018
.

Don't be. Once your in the role then you will be TUPE'd over and go about your daily duties like nothing happened. Franchise changes rarely affect low level employees in any way. New uniform, new paint job, new core values. I've seen a few changes to my franchise but little change in my job.

I’m wondering what would happen to me and the others in ATWs Train Driver talent pool?

Again, not much. Maybe a slight delay as the wind changes but otherwise new TOC's are usually encouraged to employ new staff.

With that aside and with all going to plan, I am open to any advice or guidance from Trainee Train Drivers currently undergoing their training, qualified Drivers or from Train Driver Instructors, in preparation for my own training next year. I am keen to do as well as I can on the course, as I intend to make a full and rewarding career with ATW, which will take me through to compulsory retirement age
.

Keep an open mind, work together, use the resources given to you. Ask for advice from your managers and trainers the second you have a question or any concerns. That's what they are there for.

Work with your course mates and prepare to stick 2yrs of your life on hold. Knuckle down with every step of your training and keep positive. It will be bumpy and you will see others fail. Help where you can but keep focused on what you need.

Did I say keep an open mind ? That's very important as the Railway can be a strange place to work. At first, nothing will make sense but then it will all click in place. The courses are designed for people with a blank slate so just take your time and digest the information as it comes to you. DON'T READ AHEAD.

Relax, take your time, work hard.
 

Budgie

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2016
Messages
48
Location
Vale of Glamorgan
The franchise doesn't end until October 2018, so it is unlikely it would have any effect on you, you will probably be almost qualified by then.
Thanks Greatkingrat, this is very reassuring :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ironically, I'd start off by saying not to seek advice from any unofficial sources.

.

Don't be. Once your in the role then you will be TUPE'd over and go about your daily duties like nothing happened. Franchise changes rarely affect low level employees in any way. New uniform, new paint job, new core values. I've seen a few changes to my franchise but little change in my job.



Again, not much. Maybe a slight delay as the wind changes but otherwise new TOC's are usually encouraged to employ new staff.

.

Keep an open mind, work together, use the resources given to you. Ask for advice from your managers and trainers the second you have a question or any concerns. That's what they are there for.

Work with your course mates and prepare to stick 2yrs of your life on hold. Knuckle down with every step of your training and keep positive. It will be bumpy and you will see others fail. Help where you can but keep focused on what you need.

Did I say keep an open mind ? That's very important as the Railway can be a strange place to work. At first, nothing will make sense but then it will all click in place. The courses are designed for people with a blank slate so just take your time and digest the information as it comes to you. DON'T READ AHEAD.

Relax, take your time, work hard.
Thanks very much for that valuable and wise advice ConUtoR, clearly you're speaking from experience and know what you’re talking about. I am certainly comfortable with asking a lot of questions and I am prepared to work like an eager beaver, putting in whatever effort it takes to be successful. I'm finally realising my goal and just want to make sure nothing gets in the way of me achieving qualified Train Driver status. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm! I’m still pinching myself. Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated and taken on board. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top