• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parking at Carlisle or Penrith

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestie

New Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
3
Never parked at a station though, but it's looking like it's going to be unavoidable. Could park at either station. How safe are they? How likely is it they will have spaces on a Saturday afternoon? Do you just put the right amount of money in the machine to park for several days or do you buy separate tickets? Can you park for 3 days?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

penrithsteve

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
16
Location
Penrith, Cumbria
I use Penrith station car park fairly regularly. There shouldn't be any problem getting a space at a weekend (to be honest I've never had a problem on any day of the week). Yes you can park for several days.

Depending on where you are travelling from Penrith can be easier to get to. Just 1min drive from junction 40 of the M6,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In answer to your other questions, Penrith is a pretty safe place and I can't imagine you'd have a problem in the station car park. Ticket machine takes cards. You buy 1 ticket for several days. £2 at weekends, £8 on weekdays I think.
 

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
I park from time to time at Carlisle, and have never had any problems safety wise.
Prices are correct as referred to above.
Payment is obviously only made when you want to leave, but has to be done at the machines on platform 4 which is the platform you would leave the station from, you cannot pay at the exit barrier.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Never parked at a station though, but it's looking like it's going to be unavoidable. Could park at either station. How safe are they? How likely is it they will have spaces on a Saturday afternoon? Do you just put the right amount of money in the machine to park for several days or do you buy separate tickets? Can you park for 3 days?

From a slightly different point of view, Carlisle can be a b<Dr to drive into, whereas Penrith station is less than 5 minutes from Junction 40 of the M6. If it doesn't make a difference re time to get there, then I'd pick Penrith every time.

Edit - oops, see that I'm repeating info posted above. Reinforces it though!
 

bestie

New Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
3
Thanks all!

Both are the same distance from me but think I'll go for Penrith. I was considering Carlisle because if I can't park at the station I could leave my car at a friends.
 

themiller

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2011
Messages
1,382
Location
Cumbria, UK
Don't forget that not all of the trains that stop at Carlisle stop at Penrith so you'd have more choice at Carlisle!
 

bestie

New Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
3
Don't forget that not all of the trains that stop at Carlisle stop at Penrith so you'd have more choice at Carlisle!

I already have a Penrith ticket. If I went from Carlisle I'd book another Carlisle to Penrith ticket then get the already booked train.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
Carlisle has the bigger car park but is more expensive on Saturdays - £4 compared to £2 at Penrith. Same prices apply on Sunday, then M-F it's £8 if you are there before 10am.

I think both are pay on exit.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/routes-stations/carlisle/#info-Interchange
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/routes-stations/penrith/#info-Interchange

How much is a "lost ticket"?

A friend of mine regularly parks in a station car park that is very convenient for Heathrow. On his return from holidays, he presses the "lost ticket" button and pays the requested fee.
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
How much is a "lost ticket"?

A friend of mine regularly parks in a station car park that is very convenient for Heathrow. On his return from holidays, he presses the "lost ticket" button and pays the requested fee.

At Birmingham International, it's £60.
 

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
Hayes and Harlington is pretty close with its own car park, I imagine the lost ticket fee is probably cheaper than parking at the airport!
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Another vote for Penrith North Lakes here, although it isn't served by all trains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top