Mandatory unless you are travelling with a Flex on another train than booked or season ticketSeat reservations are available Rouen-Paris (and from what I saw recommended as the trains were very busy).
Back in the early 90’s Dieppe station was a pretty busy affair with I think trains running on the old direct line to Paris. Quite sad to see it reduced to a not even hourly shuttle to Rouen now.
Ha, the unreliability of childhood memories! The Marine station was still there when I visited as a kid.Your memory is playing tricks I'm afraid. Dieppe has always been a typical SNCF service- with long gaps in the timetable, and the direct line to Serqueux ("the old direct line to Paris") closed in 1988.
The current timetable of almost hourly trains to Rouen is far better than the 'good old days'...
In fact Dieppe Ville station has been modernised recently and - on my first visit there for over 30 years last December I was very impressed with the appearance compared to the old days of decaying infrastructure.
No need to book anything in advance. I use this route multiple times a year and have never booked in advance. Just turn up and buy it at the station.Looking at travelling this route soon at the weekend. Do you need to purchase a ticket in advance? Is there seat reservations? Looks like you have to change at Rouen.
I always just walk from the ferry terminal to the railway station. It is only about twenty minutes to walk so it is fairly easy. Plus you save some money too.At Dieppe there is a bus to and from the station connecting with boats. When I was last there the direct route was closed as a bridge over the harbour was being repaired, so the journey by road was longer than normal. A temporary footbridge had been set up and it is quite possible to walk it and save 3 Euros (cash only but they will accept Pounds or Euros) if you're so inclined.
I really hope it continues. Newhaven to Dieppe is by far the best ferry route to France we have. None of the others even come close. DFDS do a fantastic job on that route. Very nice ferries. Good customer service. It has the best transport connections on both sides. It is especially good for foot passengers. It is by far the cheapest. It has a very good value set price for foot passengers which you can buy on the day at the port. Also foot passengers are last on and first off (unlike some others where foot passengers are first on and last off) which avoids waiting around like on some of the others. It is such a good route and they run it very well.Slightly off topic but apparently the ferry route is under threat as Brittany Ferries has gone to court to challenge the level of subsidy DFDS receives.
![]()
Newhaven - Dieppe ferry route grants spark £125m lawsuit
Brittany Ferries says grants DFDS receives to run its Newhaven-Dieppe route has cost it £125m.www.bbc.co.uk
"A ferry company says it has launched legal action to sue a shipping company for £125m of losses sustained because of the "vast subsidies" given to its competitor."
I hope any legal action is unsuccessful. It is none of Brittany Ferries business what subsidy a competitor on a completely different route gets. That is between DFDS and the authority giving the subsidy. There is no law against this. I can think of dozens of examples of one public transport route getting subsidy and another competing one not.
But i thought this is not quite the same. The ferry routes to Guernsey and Jersey are full proper contracts that get tendered out. Where as the Newhaven to Dieppe route is a commercial route that receives subsidy to support it rather than being a contract. The same thing happens with our buses. Our councils have bus contracts which get tendered out but there are also cases of commercial bus routes simply receiving some subsidy from the council to support the service. There is a difference between being a full contracted service and simply receiving some subsidy to support a service.Surely they at least have a claim that the initial tender not being awarded was illegal. As it was awarded from what I gather but Jersey pulled out.
Disclaimer: I don't know what the tender rules in Jersey are nor have I read the tender itself, but I am very interested to know if a tender being retracted after having been awarded is legal.
I deleted my post because I read too fast and didn't catch that the legal action was on the Newheaven-Dieppe, sorry about thatBut i thought this is not quite the same. The ferry routes to Guernsey and Jersey are full proper contracts that get tendered out. Where as the Newhaven to Dieppe route is a commercial route that receives subsidy to support it rather than being a contract. The same thing happens with our buses. Our councils have bus contracts which get tendered out but there are also cases of commercial bus routes simply receiving some subsidy from the council to support the service. There is a difference between being a full contracted service and simply receiving some subsidy to support a service.
Our councils have bus contracts which get tendered out but there are also cases of commercial bus routes simply receiving some subsidy from the council to support the service. There is a difference between being a full contracted service and simply receiving some subsidy to support a service.
I would not expect Brittany Ferries to be mounting a legal case if they did not believe they had a chance of winning. It is very much their business if they believe unfair or illegal subsidies are being paid to a competitor which is then having an adverse effect on their commercial route. I doubt that Brittany Ferries views Newhaven-Dieppe as a 'completely different route' to Portsmouth-Caen, for instance, and that would be for the court to decide. I expect they would have a weaker case if comparing Newhaven-Dieppe with Plymouth-Roscoff.I hope any legal action is unsuccessful. It is none of Brittany Ferries business what subsidy a competitor on a completely different route gets. That is between DFDS and the authority giving the subsidy. There is no law against this. I can think of dozens of examples of one public transport route getting subsidy and another competing one not. The legal action seems rather ridiculous and i doubt Brittany Ferries will have any success.
No doubt any of these subsidies can be legally challenged by competitors too (but possibly aren't because they are for routes with no similar competitor, or limited duration/promotional funding?) I don't think Guernsey has any commercial services, so this case is not comparable at all.Brittany Ferries isn't averse to receiving subsidies from the French government either and Guernsey is paying for the 'privilege' of being served by them. It is up to the Seine Maritime department if they want to support the service and their wider area.
But i thought this is not quite the same. The ferry routes to Guernsey and Jersey are full proper contracts that get tendered out. Where as the Newhaven to Dieppe route is a commercial route that receives subsidy to support it rather than being a contract. The same thing happens with our buses. Our councils have bus contracts which get tendered out but there are also cases of commercial bus routes simply receiving some subsidy from the council to support the service. There is a difference between being a full contracted service and simply receiving some subsidy to support a service.
The Commodore Clipper provides an extra sailing to Cherbourg and then Rosslare over the weekend. I suspect Le Havre is more for freight - it was certainly marketed as a basic service the one time we used it and before that ISTR it was freight-only.Brittany Ferries' timetable between Portsmouth and Le Havre is noticeably poor this summer, with nothing on Friday, Saturday or Sunday - one would have thought these days would have had the most traffic potential! Clearly the route is in trouble, and it does duplicate their rather more lucrative Portsmouth - Ouistreham (Caen) route. Presumably this has prompted the legal action.
Your memory is playing tricks I'm afraid. Dieppe has always been a typical SNCF service- with long gaps in the timetable, and the direct line to Serqueux ("the old direct line to Paris") closed in 1988.
The current timetable of almost hourly trains to Rouen is far better than the 'good old days'...
In fact Dieppe Ville station has been modernised recently and - on my first visit there for over 30 years last December I was very impressed with the appearance compared to the old days of decaying infrastructure.
The current timetable of almost hourly trains to Rouen is far better than the 'good old days'...
The original 'main line' between Dieppe and Serqueux was in appallingly bad condition by the 1980s and urgently needed either complete relaying - very expensively - or complete closure. My one and only journey over the line - in November 1986 - was on the Sunday morning boat train to St Lazare, diverted due to relaying of the junction at Malaunay, where the Le Havre and Dieppe routes diverge a short distance from Rouen. We had a BB 67400 class diesel loco and a long string of old green carriages and the whole section of the journey as far as Serqueux was limited to 40 km/h (25 mph), seemingly going on forever. The line - although still double track - was composed entirely of ancient jointed bull-head track with rotting wooden sleepers, shallow ballast and numerous wet patches....very much a railway in its final death throes. The whole direct journey from Dieppe Maritime to Paris St Lazare via Serqueux and Gisors took nearly an hour longer than the normal route with a loco change at Rouen.I believe that the northern section of the line closed in 1988 after SNCF decided to divert the remaining through trains to the Rouen route and the région it wasn’t prepared to bear the full costs of the line. Only a year or two before that I travelled over the line in a USI coach on a through train from Paris.
Astonishingly they have removed the service already because of poor passenger numbersHowever, the line south of Serqueux through Forges-les-Eaux is open again since recent years.