• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paper Ticket unable to be scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Was it sorted out at the time though? A smile, and 'oh, sorry about that' would in my view end the matter. On the other hand, not apologising and just stomping off wouldn't.

Very valid point. We do not know whether a apology was made. If it was (nothing major required just, as you say, a very brief 'sorry about that'), no complaint needed in my view. But if not, then I can understand a complaint.

The lack of any acknowledgement/apology is what prompted me to complain about my treatment at Southampton which I mentioned on here. When it was proven my ticket was valid, rather than apologise for any misunderstanding, the barrier attendant continued to chunter about the ticket having 'expired', even as they finally let me through.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
The incident can't have caused that much stress as the OP says they found it funny. Bizzare behaviour to waste the price of a stamp writing in to complain.

Surely you just laugh these things off?
 

dlj83

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2012
Messages
168
My ticket was in a blue National Rail ticket wallet (Written on the ticket it says 16th June 13).

After she was informed of her mistake she just walked off.

I wrote a letter to suggest to the TOC that there be better training for ticket inspectors and that maybe raising ones voice isn't the best way to talk to someone am not trying for compensation at all, in fact I found it funny I was accused of holding an invalid ticket when it just wasn't true

Lastly I don't believe she was on autopilot because she tried to scan the front and back.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
The vast majority of letters of complaint I have had have said "Terrible person, sack him now", on some occasions followed by letters from other passengers complementing me on how well I handled a difficult situation.

Invariably the person writing in has had either an invalid ticket, or was in 1st class for no good reason. On one occasion BTP were able to nick someone who has assaulted me after I had pointed out their ticket was invalid, as they had then decided to write in and complain.

Whilst acknowledging that not every member of staff in any industry is perfect, quite often the problems people encounter are due to a combination of factors, and the staff member in the customer-facing role has no power to alter the situation, or is applying the rules that the company apply to the situation. Quite often, the problem may be because of something the customer did themselves, or some combination of events totally outside the companies control, influence, or fault.

I'm of the opinion this knee-jerk "Something has happened that has upset the totally smooth flow of my life, I'm going to complain to a higher authority" attitude has more to do with unresolved childhood issues than a real desire to improve the experience for themselves at a later date or other users.

(Or to quote an Australian friend, "You'd whinge if your a*se was on fire and I p*ss*d on you to put it out").

But I'm now going to sit back and wait for all the usual brickbats about how I'm lucky to have a job, and I shouldn't be near decent people with my horrible attitude.

With that attitude, I demand that you're retrained immediately. And then promptly sacked. :lol:<D
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,941
Location
UK
Was the wallet open when you handed it over? If she tried to scan the wallet front and back, that's not that silly - as that's how they scan Oyster cards. No need to take the card out.

To be fair, if she was new to the job, a Gold Card might seem sufficiently different that this mistake was made. In fact, there's no reason that you couldn't have a gold annual Travelcard on an Oyster (rather than the separate Gold Record Card) - and I presume that this mistake was only made the once.

On that basis, any subsequent complaint is rather pointless as you and her colleague effectively did the necessary training!!
 

Kilted_Scot

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2012
Messages
83
Location
Scotland
Seems to be plenty of complainers on here. Can't someone make a mistake? Perhaps they are having a bad day? I went into the bank the other week and asked for my overdraft limit to be withdrawn as I didn't want the facility. The cashier didn't understand and refused to extend my overdraft instead (i didn't ask to extend). Anyway her colleague came over and we got it sorted. Do u suggest I write a complaint? No thanks it was a mistake, they happen. We are turning into a nation of complainers for the sake of it, rather than improving things. :(

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top