• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paper ticket doesn't work on the wide aisle gate at my destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

danchew

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2025
Messages
38
Location
South Wales
I commute between two stations with a bicycle, so I end up with loads of paper tickets for booking a bike space. In one of the stations, there is only one gate I can come out of with the bike, and it's a new style gate for accepting credit cards in South Wales (the pay-as-you-go system). This particular gate never works with my paper ticket so I have to call someone to open it for me which is increasingly a source of frustration.

The gate staff seem to believe that my ticket has been demagnetised, but I don't think this is the case for two reasons: First, it's not that the tickets occasionally failt to work, but they reliably never work. I've used this gate at least a hundred times and it never worked. So it seems extremely unlikely that I am so reliably demagnetising the tickets each time. Second, the ticket works fine on the other side when I get to my destination.

I wonder if this is because I have a railcard? Is there something about gates not accepting tickets bought on railcards, so they can be checked manually?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
I commute between two stations with a bicycle, so I end up with loads of paper tickets for booking a bike space.
Are you trying to open the gate with the bike space reservation coupon? If so, that will never work. It's your ticket that should open the gate, not the bike's reservation.
 

danchew

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2025
Messages
38
Location
South Wales
Those only apply to Cubic gates. Transport for Wales have installed Vix gates at the stations where Pay As You Go is accepted, which are likely to use different error codes.
Thanks for this information. I guess it'll still be useful to see if any error message comes up and ask TFW directly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top