keep truckin
Member
- Joined
- 1 Oct 2013
- Messages
- 47
Watched Extinction: The Facts on the box last night, an excellent programme which outlined the existential threats the loss of biodiversity has on us all. It also touched on pandemics such as the threat of virus transmission from wet markets & the link to the fashion industry over here to risky fur markets.
There are various threads on here discussing the pandemic response, but I feel the more crucial issue is pandemic prevention, as once the horse has bolted we're all in a panic & governments clamber around trying to figure out what to do & sadly of course, people die. Don't forget, scientists did warn of coronaviruses after the SARS outbreak. Surely pandemic response should be given priority now.
The Doomsday Clock from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists is a globally recognised indicator of how near we are to destruction & it is currently at 100 seconds to midnight (midnight being we're toast). Now this is pretty serious especially when you consider this clock has been in existence since 1947, so it states we're in bigger danger now than during the Cold War period. The Bulletin, which is freely available on the Internet, highlights the dangers of climate change & nuclear war.
I know I risk sounding like a tree hugging hippy, listening to Lennon's give peace a chance. But surely we've been given a massive warning with this current pandemic that we now urgently need to deal with the very real threats that could cause the destruction of organised human life. As, contrary to our over inflated opinion of ourselves, we're just another species scurrying around the planet & I think we sometimes live in a false sense of security.
I just think we live here in a free society & it is incumbent on us to put pressure on our representatives to do more - I really think we have a huge responsibility. Personally, I'd vote for any party that puts people & the environment first, even if its one that I've despised in the past. Cooperation amongst nations is also key.
Any constructive thoughts?
There are various threads on here discussing the pandemic response, but I feel the more crucial issue is pandemic prevention, as once the horse has bolted we're all in a panic & governments clamber around trying to figure out what to do & sadly of course, people die. Don't forget, scientists did warn of coronaviruses after the SARS outbreak. Surely pandemic response should be given priority now.
The Doomsday Clock from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists is a globally recognised indicator of how near we are to destruction & it is currently at 100 seconds to midnight (midnight being we're toast). Now this is pretty serious especially when you consider this clock has been in existence since 1947, so it states we're in bigger danger now than during the Cold War period. The Bulletin, which is freely available on the Internet, highlights the dangers of climate change & nuclear war.
I know I risk sounding like a tree hugging hippy, listening to Lennon's give peace a chance. But surely we've been given a massive warning with this current pandemic that we now urgently need to deal with the very real threats that could cause the destruction of organised human life. As, contrary to our over inflated opinion of ourselves, we're just another species scurrying around the planet & I think we sometimes live in a false sense of security.
I just think we live here in a free society & it is incumbent on us to put pressure on our representatives to do more - I really think we have a huge responsibility. Personally, I'd vote for any party that puts people & the environment first, even if its one that I've despised in the past. Cooperation amongst nations is also key.
Any constructive thoughts?