Arising from another thread I decided to look up the current service pattern on the Paddington-Newbury route.
It looks like Newbury to London is considerably less clockface than I would expect for a service in ex-NSE territory, e.g in the late morning/lunchtime period there are departures at 0952, 1021, 1125*, 1155, 1225, 1333*, 1356, 1425 (* from Exeter). The Readings, while always at around xx10, also do not form a consistent clockface pattern.
Same goes for down services too, the path used for the Newbury service doesn't seem to be the same each hour, e.g. 1112, 1213 (but looks like it would be slightly later on the WTT, as there is a Cardiff at 1213 which arrives Reading 3 mins earlier), 1305, 1406 and 1512.
Likewise the Cardiff service doesn't always use the same path (e.g xx13 and xx16 both used). What's the cause of the complex timetabling for the Newbury route I wonder? Operationally I'd have thought it would be simpler now with all services capable of 110mph+, whereas in the past there was a mixture of HSTs, 180s, Turbos and/or classic loco-hauled services on the mainline at different times.
It looks like Newbury to London is considerably less clockface than I would expect for a service in ex-NSE territory, e.g in the late morning/lunchtime period there are departures at 0952, 1021, 1125*, 1155, 1225, 1333*, 1356, 1425 (* from Exeter). The Readings, while always at around xx10, also do not form a consistent clockface pattern.
Same goes for down services too, the path used for the Newbury service doesn't seem to be the same each hour, e.g. 1112, 1213 (but looks like it would be slightly later on the WTT, as there is a Cardiff at 1213 which arrives Reading 3 mins earlier), 1305, 1406 and 1512.
Likewise the Cardiff service doesn't always use the same path (e.g xx13 and xx16 both used). What's the cause of the complex timetabling for the Newbury route I wonder? Operationally I'd have thought it would be simpler now with all services capable of 110mph+, whereas in the past there was a mixture of HSTs, 180s, Turbos and/or classic loco-hauled services on the mainline at different times.