• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacers on the Tarka / Southwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
27 Aug 2007
Messages
297
Location
Devon
It's just over a year now since the Class 142 'Pacers' were re-introduced to the southwest and Tarka line. Recently, I've noticed quite a few 143's on the Tarka, Avocet and Riviera Lines.

Has anybody got any extra information?

Thanks,
Haz:D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2006
Messages
1,039
Location
Plymouth, Devon
FGW 143's have been transferred from PM to EZ to replace the 142's that have moved back up north. AB Rail is showing the following as having been transferred:

603, 611, 612, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621

As far as what happens to the Bristol area now the 143's have been sent elsewhere, I don't know, but I'm sure someone on here will answer that.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Two 143s go up empty to Bristol for the Severn Beach trains, but the others should be found on Devon Metro services now. This should balance things out since the first of the 142s went back up north.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
There is also 143 used on a Taunton-Cardiff diagram.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,190
Location
0035
Devon Metro??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Yes, the network of (mostly) 2tph lines around Exeter (eg: Exmouth, Paignton, etc. services)
 
Joined
27 Aug 2007
Messages
297
Location
Devon
I think they sound cool, I love the rattling, I actually love the bad reliability, I love the way that after 50mph it practically starts derailing... I love it all.

I thought most rail enthusiats would be in favour of keeping Pacers..
 

WillPS

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2008
Messages
2,431
Location
Nottingham
I wondered what was going on the other day when I got on a Pacer to Lincoln in 2-star North Western livery with First Great Western scrubbed out all over it.
 

Benn88

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2008
Messages
21
I think Pacers are pretty decent entertainment wise too, nothing on a 1st gen DMU, or loco hauled.. but for there-every-day workhorse traction they are a bit of fun, especially when they bomb it on joined track lol!
 

The_Rail_WAy

Member
Joined
20 Jul 2008
Messages
458
I think they sound cool, I love the rattling, I actually love the bad reliability, I love the way that after 50mph it practically starts derailing... I love it all.

I thought most rail enthusiats would be in favour of keeping Pacers..


Absoluteley spot on there, could'nt agree more. Although many people dislike them I think they are fantastic and would be in favour of keeping them for as long as posible, in a way they kind of keep British railways 'down to earth' (if that makes sense!)

I personally love travelling on the mainline on a 142 and a high speed train or a pendo(!) passes by and you kind of think - yeah I might be smaller than you but.....
 
Joined
27 Aug 2007
Messages
297
Location
Devon
I dunno, it might swing it's way back to Pacers on the Tarka / Southwest :)

I saw a Pacer refurbished at St Davids the other day............ and really clean too, and it looked amazing. If I'm honest, it didn't look 'brand new' due to the boxiness of it all, but it was perfect. I can't remember what number it was though...

The best thing about Pacer is on a branch line late at night with it raining outside, and in the other carraige, the lights go out, so you go in there, shut your eyes, turn on your iPod, and it's like, really cool, and the shaking of the seat massages your back. Or, standing by the doors and looking down the train when it's going 50 + and seeing it wobble acutely... pretty awesome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top