• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster PAYG and BZ3-Southend Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
I want to go to from London-Southend, out with Greater Anglia, and back with C2C.

With my PAYG Oystercard (as I don't live in London, but will be tagging this trip on to a visit to the capital), do I travel to Stratford, touch out, go back on to the platform with my BZ3-Southend ticket, and then, on the way back, go through the barriers at West Ham, and touch in at the barriers and get the next train to Liverpool Street (or wherever I want to go)?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
You cannot use Boundary Zone tickets with Oyster PAYG.
 

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,234
Location
Reading
Edit I am wrong - I overlooked the obvious fact that you also need to have a Travelcard to use with a Boundary Zone ticket!

You would need to stop and touch out at Manor Park on the way out and stop and touch in again at Barking on the way back as far as I can see. Otherwise, you wouldn't have a valid ticket between Stratford and Manor Park on the way out, or between Barking and West Ham on the way back.
 
Last edited:

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
Thanks for that information.

As Stratford and West Ham are in Z3, would I need a Z1-4 travelcard plus BZ4-Southend, or would a Z1-2 travelcard plus BZ2-Southend be valid?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
How are you travelling to London and where are you travelling from?

If you're going for the day it might make sense to get an outboundary travelcard, combined with BZ6-Southend Stations ticket.

Alternatively a through ticket from your origin to Southend Stations might be best. You could break your journey in London and resume later, depending on how long you're spending in London.

If you can give more details we can advise further.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Thanks for that information.

As Stratford and West Ham are in Z3, would I need a Z1-4 travelcard plus BZ4-Southend, or would a Z1-2 travelcard plus BZ2-Southend be valid?

If it is a day travelcard you are getting you can only buy a zone 1-6 travelcard so will need a boundary zone 6 - Southend stations ticket
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top