• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster on NR rail replacement buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
Do you still have to touch your card on the NR rail replacement services if the bus has an Oyster reader. If not how do the TOC's maintain revenue if they don't check before hand?

Also I think you have to touch on Oyster readers on buses if the replacement bus is on a TfL contract? (i.e. London Overground)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
As far as I know (and in my experience), the answer is "no" on both counts. I wouldn't even expect the oyster reader pads on such buses to be switched on, let alone suffiicently programmed to recognize that they are on a rail replacement bus.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
As far as I know the only time you have to do this is when you're catching a service bus instead of a dedicated replacement bus (and TfL do quite often put on extra (often short-run) buses at weekends when there's engineering work on.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Many replacement buses don't have Oyster readers, as they come from outside London/an operator who specialises in anything other than TfL contracts. I think the simple answer is that everyone gets a free ride! I think the official word is 'buy tickets as normal and board the bus' but most stations seem to be locked/inaccessible when rail replacement is operating, and with Oyster that's impossible!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top