• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster not validated due to staff startling me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ez84

New Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
4
Hi.

What do readers think is the chance of my successfully appealing a ticket for having an unvalidated Oyster card on the Overground, where I tapped the entry reader but seemingly failed to notice it didn't validate because the staff were shouting "Stop!" and "Don't cross the line!"? I looked up to see if they were shouting at me (they were not) and in that moment I must have missed the red light and the bad beep.

Thanks for your time.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheesyChips

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
217
Hi.

What do readers think is the chance of my successfully appealing a ticket for having an unvalidated Oyster card on the Overground, where I tapped the entry reader but seemingly failed to notice it didn't validate because the staff were shouting "Stop!" and "Don't cross the line!"? I looked up to see if they were shouting at me (they were not) and in that moment I must have missed the red light and the bad beep.

Thanks for your time.

I'm the first person to berate the railways and the unfairness of the laws passengers fall foul of but this made me smile.

I think you're in the same position as a toddler that claims they didn't eat the chocolate bar despite the coat of chocolate around their mouth. :lol:

Did you approach a member of staff to explain your uncertainty as to whether your Oyster card was validated or not? Afterall, there were staff present as you mention.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,044
Location
Yorkshire
Hi.

What do readers think is the chance of my successfully appealing a ticket for having an unvalidated Oyster card on the Overground, where I tapped the entry reader but seemingly failed to notice it didn't validate because the staff were shouting "Stop!" and "Don't cross the line!"? I looked up to see if they were shouting at me (they were not) and in that moment I must have missed the red light and the bad beep.

Thanks for your time.

A penalty fare? For what amount? How much if any has been paid thus far?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
Just pay it.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but it's fortunate that LO have a proper bona-fide Penalty Fare scheme for mistakes such as these. If they didn't you could be looking at twice the amount, £80, on an entirely unregulated scheme (see Northern's £80 settlements if you want to know more).

In your case it's simply a case of pay £40 for the mistake and you won't have to spend any more time worrying about it. I'd simply pay up. (You can pay and appeal, but it's not worth your time appealing!)

A lot of people don't realise that £40 is the charge - on certain Train Companies - for a mistake under certain circumstances, and you are not accused of any wrongdoing other than making a mistake.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,110
Location
Redcar
Whatever you do I would strongly suggest paying first and then appealing.

You could try asking for the CCTV and that would hopefully show you attempting to touch in but being distracted in which case you might be able to get them to cancel it on the basis of sympathy. But I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Technically speaking it's one of the passengers responsibilities to ensure they have a valid or validated ticket for travel so even though you only accidentally missed that you had a problem with your Oyster it's still sufficient for this to be very hard to appeal against.

I assume you had sufficient credit on your Oyster to make the journey you wanted to? That would go some way to showing that you weren't trying to avoid paying or anything. Do you do this journey regularly? If so you could also mention that you do this journey all the time and always pay for it again that might help persuade them to drop the Penalty Fare.

But I fear even if you could marshal all the above evidence they would still have been correct to issue the PF and therefore perfectly entitled not to cancel it.

I guess the question you have to answer for yourself is 'how much time and effort am I willing to spend to try and get £40 back?'.


-----


The discussion about why the PF was £40 not £20 has been split off into a new thread here.

A reminder that these threads she solely be focused on assisting the OP. If you wish to discuss an issue separate from that please do so on a new thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top