• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster National Rail charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

elucidate

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2013
Messages
15
Hi all,

I have a Railcard discount applied to my Oyster card.

Today I used my Oyster card to conduct a return journey from Southbury to Manor Park via London Liverpool Street. The outward journey was during peak hours and the return was off-peak.

The Oyster card charges I should have incurred are mentioned on this link, where different routes are given:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/f...nor+Park+[National+Rail]&ft=National+Railcard

For the outward journey, I touched in at SBU, touched at LST, and finished by touching out at MNP. I was correctly charged £4.60, as mentioned in the "Route 1" section of the page.

For the return journey, I touched in at MNP, and then touched out at SBU at the end of the journey. I did not touch my Oyster at LST because the ticket barriers were open. For the return, I found that I was charged only 90p.

These are my questions:
1) For the return, why was I charged only 90p?
2) The link mentions a 'single fare' of £6.20 peak and £2.20 off-peak between SBU and MNP. As it is not possible to travel between the two stations directly, in what circumstance would I have been charged at these prices?
3) With regards to Routes 2 and 3, at what points should a traveller touch their Oyster card on a reader?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
When was your outward journey? Was it in the afternoon peak? If so, the 90p was to bring it to the Off-Peak cap for Zones 1-6 which is £5.60.

The £6.20 fare is a Zones 1-5 National Rail/LU through fare. I am not sure when it would be charged as I can't see a sensible route which would involve such an itinerary.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
I don't usually refer directly to an answer on my site, but as you've posted the exact same text, including the typo where the fare charged was £4.70 (not £4.60), I'm going to. The answers are at the bottom of this page: http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/fares-guide/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top