• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster morning peak cut-off time from Forest Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
For the last two Fridays, I've boarded the 0927 Forest Hill to London Bridge service, waiting in the booking office before touching in.

On March 15th, according to Oyster Online, I touched in at 0927 and was charged the NR off-peak fare (£2.20) as I touched out at Charing Cross which was at 1000.

March 22nd. I touched in at 0926 and out at Charing Cross at 0959 which charged me the NR peak fare (£3.10)

Do I assume the change-over for peak and off-peak at Forest Hill is at 0927 as the gateline assumes that it's the final peak service of the morning, the first off-peak service being the 0930 to Crystal Palace?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
The off-peak time starts at 0930 based on when you touch in, but it is believed that a tolerance of several minutes is set in favour of the passenger on the system in order to avoid disputes when someone commences a journey close to the switch between peak and off-peak or v/v.
 

CheapAndNerdy

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
357
I've certainly tapped in at a few minutes past 06:30 and been charged an off-peak fare. As Island said, it's probably done to prevent disputes (and the associated bad publicity) if, for example, someone's watch is a few minutes out. I wondered just how big the margin might be. I thought maybe 5 minutes, but bicbasher's evidence suggests 3.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I've certainly tapped in at a few minutes past 06:30 and been charged an off-peak fare. As Island said, it's probably done to prevent disputes (and the associated bad publicity) if, for example, someone's watch is a few minutes out. I wondered just how big the margin might be. I thought maybe 5 minutes, but bicbasher's evidence suggests 3.

In the evening peak, there is a 5 min past 1600 point from Stratford as I've been charged the off-peak fare for touching in at 1604 to Forest Hill.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,049
Location
Yorkshire
I wonder how accurate the clocks (in the oyster system) are?

This sounds to me like potential for discrimination, on the basis that people who are physically fit can get this 0927 train, but others can't.....
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Whilst I've long known about the few minutes of leeway, the discussion here has just given me cause to think: I wonder if TfL have bothered to add extra leeway anywhere in the cases of stations where there's a bit of a walk from validator/gate to platform and there is a departure at 0930 or thereabouts? Particularly if it's an infrequent service (in London terms, e.g. perhaps half-hourly or less).
 

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
I owuld have thought the sensible thing to do would be to set the time when off peak starts as the time the last peak train leaves and then take off the amount of time it would take for someone to walk from the gateline to the platform.

I guess that would be too expensive to work that out for every station though.
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I wonder how accurate the clocks (in the oyster system) are?

This sounds to me like potential for discrimination, on the basis that people who are physically fit can get this 0927 train, but others can't.....

The main gateline and ticket office at Forest Hill are next to Platform 1 (London bound), so is possible to touch in as the train arrives at 0927.

It is however a bit of a challenge from the Platform 2 gateline on Perry Rise, which involves running up the side stairs, then across the footbridge to Platform 1.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top