• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Oyster) Histories - what's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
I've attached two journey histories - both of the same card. The card is loaded with a Z234 travelcard. Personal info has been removed.

The first is for the past week. The second is for a longer period of time. I believe the correct balance on the card is £29.60, but why is one history different from the other?
 

Attachments

  • oyster 1.pdf
    108.9 KB · Views: 39
  • oyster2.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 27
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,581
Location
Crayford
I've attached two journey histories - both of the same card. The card is loaded with a Z234 travelcard. Personal info has been removed.

The first is for the past week. The second is for a longer period of time. I believe the correct balance on the card is £29.60, but why is one history different from the other?

There is a problem with the running balance on journey histories where an issue has occured. An example would be a gate rejecting entry/exit due to insufficient funds. Sometimes the issue doesn't have to be in the actual period being examined. The balance on the card, and that displayed on the overview screen, is correct.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and why is it applying/removing auto top on 7th June?

Because a journey is being started with a balance of less than £10. Just because the journey might be free doesn't prevent auto top-up being applied.
 

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
There is a problem with the running balance on journey histories where an issue has occured. An example would be a gate rejecting entry/exit due to insufficient funds.

Can you think of any other reasons? It doesn't explain (to me) why two different balances should be quoted.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,581
Location
Crayford
Can you think of any other reasons? It doesn't explain (to me) why two different balances should be quoted.

The issue that has affected my son recently is gates set to reject child tickets at Southeastern terminals. His balance is currently £5 over. Curiously he made a bus journey yesterday in the middle of the two train journeys. Normally there is nothing in the balance column for a bus journey as they are free. Yesterday it showed the balance as 75p after the bus journey even though the balances either side were £5.75 and £5. It's like the balance reported for bus journeys is that shown on the card, while for train journeys it is calculated by the system.

It's very frustrating, because the programmer in me wants to rip open the code and find the 'obvious' error.
 

CallySleeper

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2006
Messages
1,662
Location
trentbartonland
It's like the balance reported for bus journeys is that shown on the card, while for train journeys it is calculated by the system.

I'd tend to agree with this simply on the principle that on the 7-day history, bus journey balances are ~£11 whereas all the LU journeys are ~£21+. I was using an oyster once where I reached my cap on LU, then touched on on a bus and was fairly sure it displayed that it had deducted £1.45. (It was fine in the end).

I'm not worried about the balance on the card, after studying the two histories I'm happy it's £29.60. I just don't understand the principle behind why a 7-day history should display an extra £10 on the balance.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,581
Location
Crayford
I don't understand why either, but I've reported as much of the issue as I can to the helpdesk and have to hope that it gets through to someone who understands. On my son's card, if you start examining history before the beginning of May then it calculates the balances fine, but start later and it's £5 out. Very wierd.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top