• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Capping and then go outside of zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjanvil

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2012
Messages
23
Hi, I plan to do a bunch of journeys in zones 1-2 hitting the cap (starting in zone 1) later I plan to do a National Rail Oyster journey to Feltham Zone 6 starting at Oxford Circus changingat Vauxhall. My question is: Because I have already hit the 1-2 cap will I just be charged for a National Rail 2-6 journey or would this count and be charged as a whole 1-6 single journey and be charged as such?

As a related question if after reaching the 1-2 cap I went from Oxford Circus to Hatton Cross in Zone 5 (so no oyster changes) would I be charged the difference between a 1-5 journey and a 1-2 single or a whole 1-5 journey cost?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also if I did the Oxford Circus - Feltham journey via Waterloo would I need to touch out at Clapham and back in to only be charged for 2-6 or would it automatically only charge me for Zone 2-6,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Hi, I plan to do a bunch of journeys in zones 1-2 hitting the cap (starting in zone 1) later I plan to do a National Rail Oyster journey to Feltham Zone 6 starting at Oxford Circus changingat Vauxhall. My question is: Because I have already hit the 1-2 cap will I just be charged for a National Rail 2-6 journey or would this count and be charged as a whole 1-6 single journey and be charged as such?

As a related question if after reaching the 1-2 cap I went from Oxford Circus to Hatton Cross in Zone 5 (so no oyster changes) would I be charged the difference between a 1-5 journey and a 1-2 single or a whole 1-5 journey cost?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Also if I did the Oxford Circus - Feltham journey via Waterloo would I need to touch out at Clapham and back in to only be charged for 2-6 or would it automatically only charge me for Zone 2-6,
On Oyster, if you travel beyond an existing cap the whole journey will be charged until you reach the cap for the new zones you have used. So for adults reaching the zone 1-2 cap of £8.10, you would be charged the full zone 1-6 fare(s) up to the new cap of £14.90. If the Oyster card is a normal blue adult one without a discount entitlement (eg Railcard), the journeys will be put through the back office at the end of the day. This will change the charge for the last journey to a zone 3-6 rail fare. The difference will be refunded next time you touch your Oyster card, or within two weeks if it's a small amount (under £1.50 I think). This doesn't happen with discounted Oyster fares.

If you want to ensure that you are only charged for a zone 3-6 journey at the time then you can get off at Putney and exit and re-enter as that is a dual zone 2/3 station.
 

pjanvil

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2012
Messages
23
Interesting they refund the difference at back office without a rail card but not with.

Thanks Interesting to have it clarified.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top