• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Over 60s - London transport, not a local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
What happens to the Oyster when the railcard expires? Will the discount automatically be removed, and have to be re-applied if the railcard gets renewed?
Yes, quite simply.
 

monxton

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2015
Messages
39
I've not attempted to trawl through all the regulations (life's too short) but, even in this age, I'd be surprised if it were a requirement to carry the Senior Railcard once it (or, more accurately, its existence) was loaded on to an Oyster, even if you were travelling on a National Rail service.
This from the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards?intcmp=1757):
  • Always show your Railcard when buying tickets from a ticket office
  • Always carry your Railcard as proof of your discount when travelling
  • Don't let anyone else use your Railcard or Oyster card with a Railcard discount
So they say that you do have to carry your railcard. Like everyone else here, I have never been asked for it, though as I would have used it to get to London, I would be carrying it anyway.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
This from the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards?intcmp=1757):
  • Always show your Railcard when buying tickets from a ticket office
  • Always carry your Railcard as proof of your discount when travelling
  • Don't let anyone else use your Railcard or Oyster card with a Railcard discount
So they say that you do have to carry your railcard. Like everyone else here, I have never been asked for it, though as I would have used it to get to London, I would be carrying it anyway.
In 2018 I'm no longer surprised at anything, but I would still query why the railcard should, or would, be demanded to be shown during the course of a bus journey.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
In 2018 I'm no longer surprised at anything, but I would still query why the railcard should, or would, be demanded to be shown during the course of a bus journey.

Because the daily cap you may be eligible for (depending on that day's travel patterns) is discounted as a result of having your Senior Railcard associated with your Oyster card.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
Though I think, since the last fare change, the gap has closed and there's no difference?

It was previously the case that bus and tram travel capped out at £4.50 (as it does now), unless you had a railcard in which case you were charged for the cheaper z1-2 off-peak "travelcard" cap at £4.25 IIRC. This has no risen to £4.50 so there's no difference

Regardless, the rules are still that once you've linked a railcard that Oyster card is for your use only and you can't share it, and must carry the railcard as proof of ID
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Though I think, since the last fare change, the gap has closed and there's no difference?

It was previously the case that bus and tram travel capped out at £4.50 (as it does now), unless you had a railcard in which case you were charged for the cheaper z1-2 off-peak "travelcard" cap at £4.25 IIRC. This has no risen to £4.50 so there's no difference

Regardless, the rules are still that once you've linked a railcard that Oyster card is for your use only and you can't share it, and must carry the railcard as proof of ID
That's interesting. I really am regretting linking my railcard to my (previously unregistered) Oyster now, for no apparent financial benefit but with the added piquancy of the possibility of being hassled.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
That's interesting. I really am regretting linking my railcard to my (previously unregistered) Oyster now, for no apparent financial benefit but with the added piquancy of the possibility of being hassled.

Unless you only travel by bus in London, that's not correct.

The zones 1&2 cap, without the Railcard discount, is £6.80 - with the Railcard it is £4.50 (for travel after 0930 weekdays).

If you hit the zones 1-6 cap then without the Railcard discount it is £12.50, with the Railcard it is £8.25 (for travel after 0930 weekdays).

Adult (non-discounted) Oyster & contactless caps:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares-2018.pdf

Railcard-discounted Oyster daily caps:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/railcard-fares-2018.pdf


If you do not hit a cap, then all rail mode (i.e. non bus) PAYG single fares are still discounted with a Railcard loaded on Oyster during off-peak times. (Peak times are for journeys starting weekdays between 0630-0930 and 1600-1900.)

However, TfL and the London TOCs won't be desperately upset if you don't want to link your Railcard to your Oyster and so pay full whack.


FWIW I've never witnessed a London bus RPI asking to see a Railcard for an Oyster set with the discount (nor for that matter with a Railcard-discounted paper Travelcard), but nonetheless it makes sense to me that they do so - if the passenger is abusing the system by using someone else's Oyster with Railcard discount (i.e. they are not the named Railcard holder), then why should it only be inspections on rail modes (Tube, NR etc) that seek to catch this out?

(Of course, if said person also had a Senior Railcard on them, then even if they were not actually the named holder they'd almost certainly get away with it as Senior Railcards do not have photographs or photocards.)

[Edit - typo]
 
Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Unless you only travel by bus in London, that's not correct.

The zones 1&2 cap, without the Railcard discount, is £6.80 - with the Railcard it is £4.50 (for travel after 0930 weekdays).

If you hit the zones 1-6 cap then without the Railcard discount it is £12.50, with the Railcard it is £8.25 (for travel after 0930 weekdays).

Adult (non-discounted) Oyster & contactless caps:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares-2018.pdf

Railcard-discounted Oyster daily caps:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/railcard-fares-2018.pdf


If you do not hit a cap, then all rail mode (i.e. non bus) PAYG single fares are still discounted with a Railcard loaded on Oyster during off-peak times. (Peak times are for journeys starting weekdays between 0630-0930 and 1600-1900.)

However, TfL and the London TOCs won't be desperately upset if you don't want to link you're Railcard to your Oyster and so pay full whack.


FWIW I've never witnessed a London bus RPI asking to see a Railcard for an Oyster set with the discount (nor for that matter with a Railcard-discounted paper Travelcard), but nonetheless it makes sense to me that they do so - if the passenger is abusing the system by using someone else's Oyster with Railcard discount (i.e. they are not the named Railcard holder), then why should it only be inspections on rail modes (Tube, NR etc) that seek to catch this out?

(Of course, if said person also had a Senior Railcard on them, then even if they were not actually the named holder they'd almost certainly get away with it as Senior Railcards do not have photographs or photocards.)
Thank you for that full summary. I obviously got the wrong end of the stick from a previous answer. I now won't regret linking my railcard to my Oyster. Aren't fares in London complicated, you could probably write several PhD theses on the subject without covering every permutation!
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
Thank you for that full summary. I obviously got the wrong end of the stick from a previous answer. I now won't regret linking my railcard to my Oyster. Aren't fares in London complicated, you could probably write several PhD theses on the subject without covering every permutation!

They are indeed - there is some reason and rationale behind the apparent madness, but that's not always particularly evident!

An aside - Network Railcards cannot be loaded on Oyster cards for a discount (probably because the weekday-only £13 minimum fare is too complicated for Oyster, though the Network Railcard being a voluntary scheme for the TOCs might also have something to do with it). So at weekends a London-dwelling Network Railcard holder who is planning on travelling around the metropolis a bit might do well to consider whether they're better off buying a Railcard-discounted zones 1-6 Day Travelcard at £8.30, or stick to using Oyster or contactless (the 'decision point' is between a z1-3 daily cap at £8.00, and a z1-4 daily cap at £9.80). Of course you don't always know where the day will take you before it happens!
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
Of course you don't always know where the day will take you before it happens!
This is what I hate most about travelling around un-London. More than once in Manchester I've bought a day single operator bus ticket and then later discovered I'll need to go somewhere only served by another operator; or bought a bus and tram ticket and then needed a train journey; or... etc etc

Plenty of days I've bought bus singles totalling just under the cost of day bus ticket; and then needed to make yet another journey

Plenty of times I've bought a ticket covering more than I need, too, and ended up wasting some of its value

Oyster is utterly brilliant.

Or at least a website. :)

Or just don't worry/think about it! Set up auto-topup, link your railcard if you've got one (I keep my Oyster card and railcard together in the same plastic wallet, despite living in the East Midlands nowadays - it's hardly big or heavy!), and just let the system figure it all out for you! Couldn't be simpler!
 

Wirewiper

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
612
Location
BET & TQY
I'll also be contentious, and say that if boarding a New Routemaster bus (so-called) you may use all three entrances i.e. you can by-pass the driver: confirmed on two occasions by revenue inspectors.

That's interesting, because my understanding is that if you do not have an Oyster Card or contactless bank card that you can touch on a reader, you are supposed to board at the front and show your permit to travel (e.g. ENCTS pass, or paper travelcard) to the driver.

Personally I think it should be proper open boarding on New Routemasters, as with the bendybuses, with only those requiring a fare to be debited from their card touching in.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
That's interesting, because my understanding is that if you do not have an Oyster Card or contactless bank card that you can touch on a reader, you are supposed to board at the front and show your permit to travel (e.g. ENCTS pass, or paper travelcard) to the driver.

UIVMM there's no such requirement.

The driver of a 'New Routemaster' (LT type) bus doesn't have any ticket checking duties apart from receiving the driver's half of a Bus Saver ticket from any passengers who are still using them (they haven't been sold for several years but remain valid for travel, for the time being at least.).

Functionally, from a ticketing perspective, they are the same as the bendy buses were.
 

Wirewiper

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2017
Messages
612
Location
BET & TQY
UIVMM there's no such requirement.

The driver of a 'New Routemaster' (LT type) bus doesn't have any ticket checking duties apart from receiving the driver's half of a Bus Saver ticket from any passengers who are still using them (they haven't been sold for several years but remain valid for travel, for the time being at least.).

Functionally, from a ticketing perspective, they are the same as the bendy buses were.

In that case, am I not required to touch in if my Oyster Card is loaded with a valid bus pass or travelcard?
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
In that case, am I not required to touch in if my Oyster Card is loaded with a valid bus pass or travelcard?

The Oyster conditions say you're supposed to, but you're not going to get a PF if you haven't touched-in as you have a valid ticket. (An RPI that inspects your ticket might say you should touch your Oyster in.)
 

Leisurefirst

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2013
Messages
469
This from the TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/railcards?intcmp=1757):
  • Always show your Railcard when buying tickets from a ticket office
  • Always carry your Railcard as proof of your discount when travelling
  • Don't let anyone else use your Railcard or Oyster card with a Railcard discount
So they say that you do have to carry your railcard. Like everyone else here, I have never been asked for it, though as I would have used it to get to London, I would be carrying it anyway.


IIRC I've been asked on London Overground.
I have a Gold Card which I used to keep separately from my Oyster PAYG but now tend to put the two in the same wallet when I know I'm going to use the PAYG.
(The other week I made a PAYG journey and was about to touch in for the return leg and thought I'd left my Gold Card in another jacket but touched in anyway and that was such a long 20 minutes plus of sweating that I was going to get a check and feeling guilty...it turned out later I had it in my bag all along...)
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
UIVMM there's no such requirement.

The driver of a 'New Routemaster' (LT type) bus doesn't have any ticket checking duties apart from receiving the driver's half of a Bus Saver ticket from any passengers who are still using them (they haven't been sold for several years but remain valid for travel, for the time being at least.).

Functionally, from a ticketing perspective, they are the same as the bendy buses were.
The TfL website says:
If you're from outside London and have a bus pass issued by another English council, you can use it, at any time, to travel free on buses displaying the red roundel. You should show your pass to the driver; at the moment they can't be read by the yellow card readers.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
The TfL website says:
With respect, that is a generalisation. Words to that effect would have been on the TfL website in artic days, too. Is anyone seriously suggesting that if you board an LT other than by the front door and are using a ENCTS pass you have to make your way along the bus to the driver, who by this time is driving rather than stationary, and get his/her attention by waving your pass at them? I can imagine most drivers' response!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top