• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Outward: St Pancras - Ramsgate, Back: Ramsgate - Thanet Parkway - St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmncf

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2012
Messages
525
I want to travel outward today (Friday 19/01/2024) at around 16:30 from St Pancras International to Ramsgate.
I want to travel back tomorrow (Saturday 20/01/2024) at around midday from Ramsgate to St Pancras International, but breaking our journey for a few hours at Thanet Parkway to see the station and former hoverport.
We are one adult and two children and we hold a Family & Friends Railcard.
I would appreciate advice on the best fare, because there are various routes and there's possibly that confusing Southeastern Kids For A Quid offer that clashes with using a Family & Friends Railcard. Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
NRE is giving me £53.95 using a Weekender ticket and the normal F&F discounts (or £54.00 with an Offpeak Return. No problem about breaking your journey on the return.
SE on their website will allow one of the children to travel for £1, so reducing the cost to £45.10 (Weekender). Whether you can get that combination on another site or at a machine I can't say.

You could save slightly more by choosing a Via Herne Bay ticket and then get an Excess fare at Ramsgate to return via Canterbury/Dover and Ashford. That would get it down to around £42, but not all stations are good at issuing these, so you might not wish to chance it.
 

dmncf

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2012
Messages
525
Thanks very much, 30907 - I bought the £45.10 tickets from the SE website.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
NRE is giving me £53.95 using a Weekender ticket and the normal F&F discounts (or £54.00 with an Offpeak Return. No problem about breaking your journey on the return.
SE on their website will allow one of the children to travel for £1, so reducing the cost to £45.10 (Weekender). Whether you can get that combination on another site or at a machine I can't say.

You could save slightly more by choosing a Via Herne Bay ticket and then get an Excess fare at Ramsgate to return via Canterbury/Dover and Ashford. That would get it down to around £42, but not all stations are good at issuing these, so you might not wish to chance it.
I wouldn't recommend a via Herne Bay ticket for Ramsgate. The route via Ashford is significantly quicker and more interesting now.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
I wouldn't recommend a via Herne Bay ticket for Ramsgate. The route via Ashford is significantly quicker and more interesting now.
Not sure - but maybe I'm influenced by childhood journeys from Bromley S :)
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,416
Location
S Yorks, usually
Depends on your definition of ‘interesting’ I suppose. Via Herne Bay gives you the occasional sea view, the panorama of the Medway Towns with bonus Russian submarine, and a fair few orchards and hop gardens.

edit: @dmncf do let us know how easy it was to get from Thanet Parkway to the coast at Pegwell Bay
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top