• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out-of-the-way trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister-sparky

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
468
Location
Kent
Deltic hauled from time to time. There used to be Intercity services from Margate & Dover Western Docks to detinations in the North & Scotland

used to be quite a shock standing on the platform at Tonbridge after school sometimes and hearing such exotic destinations over the tannoy
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OuterDistant

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2010
Messages
609
Location
TOPS Area 43
I used to travel a lot between Manchester and Derby and I remember once seeing a XC service leaving Manchester with a destination of Derby, via Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

Does anyone know anything about this service? I never saw it again and can't find it now. I believe it left Piccadilly at about 4.30pm.

Should probably mention that this was about 4-5 years ago :)
I once turned up at Piccadilly (c. 2006) after imbibing several pints, saw that advertised on the boards and thought "great, that'll get me back to Blythe Bridge without having to change at Stoke". Fortunately, the railway knowledge kicked in soon after and avoided an embarrassing tour of the Midlands ;)
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
I used to travel a lot between Manchester and Derby and I remember once seeing a XC service leaving Manchester with a destination of Derby, via Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

Does anyone know anything about this service? I never saw it again and can't find it now. I believe it left Piccadilly at about 4.30pm.

Should probably mention that this was about 4-5 years ago :)

About 12 years ago, pre Voyagers, the first southbound XC train from Derby was effectively a stock positioning move. This had approx 15min at New Street before its next working to Piccadilly, and was advertised as a through service. Presumably this was the reverse working?
 

MrPosh

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
51
Central Trains used to run a Saturday morning service from Sleaford to Cardiff Central.

Cardiff being pretty much South West of Sleaford, the service began in a Northerly direction to Lincoln.
 

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
Arriva Trains Northern used to run a Blackpool North to Scarbourough via York service. Also a Leeds to Glasgow Central via Carlisle service.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Central Trains used to run a Saturday morning service from Sleaford to Cardiff Central.

Cardiff being pretty much South West of Sleaford, the service began in a Northerly direction to Lincoln.

Ahh i thought it was from Grimsby.

Long gone are the days when you could Lincoln-Birmingham direct as I used to. Now you change at least once at Nottingham or Leicester.
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Bidston to Wrexham is fairly random IMO!

As I know it, Bidston is effectively the station and small retail park near Birkenhead.

2E89 Southport to Huddersfield is also a strange service.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,907
Location
East Anglia
I always planned to do the Middlesborough-Preston via Newcastle, Carlisle & the Cumbrian Coast. Hours & hours on a Nodding Donkey but never had the will power.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
There used to be one morning Portsmouth Harbour to Seaford service which I have been on.

I thought track layout at Brighton would mean that this isn't possible? Portsmouth trains can only use 1, 2 and half of 3? Seaford 7&8 maybe 6 too? I may be wrong but isn't it something like this?
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I thought track layout at Brighton would mean that this isn't possible? Portsmouth trains can only use 1, 2 and half of 3? Seaford 7&8 maybe 6 too? I may be wrong but isn't it something like this?

Could do it if the calling pattern was Hove, Preston Park, Brighton, London Road. (Would be odd though.)
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
Not at all, Bidston is where the line ends. It would be silly to terminate the trains anywhere else :lol:

The Wrexham service at one time continued to Birkenhead North. Another time the service started at New Brighton. If I recall correctly, the trains also ran from New Brighton to Chester via Heswall and Mollington.
 

jha4ceb

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2011
Messages
81
Does the early-morning Mansfield to Norwich still run? That would be a contender.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Arriva Trains Northern used to run a Blackpool North to Scarbourough via York service. Also a Leeds to Glasgow Central via Carlisle service.

If electrification of NTP happens (and if Scarborough is left out, as per plan) then I understand that the blackpool-york may be extended through to Scarborough once more.

Seems quite logical really - places Halifax-Church Fenton inclusive always had a couple of direct services to Scarborough until very recently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top