• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ORR turns down ATW to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
As seen in the letter here, the ORR has confirmed that it will not approve the track access agreement primarily over concerns of revenue abstraction.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,723
I am pretty shocked about that, there were plenty of rumours abound that it was a cert.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
I am pretty shocked about that, there were plenty of rumours abound that it was a cert.

But that's all they are, rumours. Plenty of good ones have a long life on the railway.
I wouldn't want to be merlodlliws neighbours though - the partying, late night binge drinking, orgies and fireworks would keep me awake all night :P :P
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,723
All the whinging about performance and paths can be put to bed too as the ORR didnt have a problem about that.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
Good. Now maybe ATW can concentrate on, I don't know... improving their existing services? :roll:

Well said..

Perhaps even look at the services which they operate around.. erm..

Wales?!!! :o

I'm very glad that ATW aren't being able to run these services, WSMR is a very good company in my opinion and the main objection (apart from the obvious competition against WSMR) is the fact that i think ATW should concentrate on the services they run to/from/via Wales first, before expanding onto other new routes. I don't personally think class 158's would've been a very good type of train for a long 6? hour run to/from London ..
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Just noticed that on the BBC website here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/8543836.stm Arriva are 'disappointed' over the decision.

Oh, boo hoo. What a shame. The ORR's decision is some of the best news I've had for ages. And I've had a lot of good news lately. The whole object was probably to drive WSMR out of business anyway, no matter what the scum say. Realistically a route from Aberystwyth to London would not be especially profitable, if at all, and would serve more to hinder another such operation. If they want a service to London, why not run an occasional extra service between Bridgend and Cardiff, via Barry, and send it to London (probably via Bristol TM and [gulp] Bath Spa as opposed to Bristol Parkway) using GWR metals? Given the ORR would have overall authority over the Arriva run, two such losers working against each other wouldn't hurt anyone. Except themselves.

Ha ha. You probably predicted that any response from me would be in favour of the ORR's decision, right? :D
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I just noticed the following in the Arriva statement: "Aberystwyth will remain one of the few towns left in Britain without a direct link to the capital".

- The ATW spokeswoman.

FEW?! What does she mean, FEW? A few larger settlements with no direct link to London:

• Blackpool
• Grimsby
• Middlesbrough
• Mansfield
• Felixstowe
• Walsall
• Bolton
• many towns with no National Rail station, such as Peterlee, Ilkeston, Brixham

So what if Aberystwyth has no direct link to London? There are places that need it more, you know...!
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
I just noticed the following in the Arriva statement: "Aberystwyth will remain one of the few towns left in Britain without a direct link to the capital".

- The ATW spokeswoman.

FEW?! What does she mean, FEW? A few larger settlements with no direct link to London:

• Blackpool
• Grimsby
• Middlesbrough
• Mansfield
• Felixstowe
• Walsall
• Bolton
• many towns with no National Rail station, such as Peterlee, Ilkeston, Brixham

So what if Aberystwyth has no direct link to London? There are places that need it more, you know...!

Yes, but Aberystwyth is both a tourist destination and a university town, meaning a fair amount of demand, something which a number of those places listed can't claim.

Additionally, some of the places listed have nearby options to London.

Let's face it, if you running the railway from scratch, Aberystwyth is a much better bet than Wrexham ;)
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
suppose the anti arriva massive will be happy

:lol: (Can I suggest that you read all my posts again? :p)

@ tbtc - I appreciate the point, especially considering that Aberystwyth is a university town. However, the fact still remains that there are places that need a direct link to London more than Aberystwyth. Blackpool, for instance, would gain a lot from a direct link to London. Whilst it may have services to Preston, an occasional route to Birmingham and the capital would be of great benefit to it. I will admit though, I too would choose Aberystwyth ahead of Wrexham. Which leads me on to something: If Arriva are so desperate for a service from Mid-Wales into London, without needing to bother with running through New Street, why not re-time their services so that they link with WSMR services at Telford?
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
I fail to see why we were aiming to drive wsmr out of business, wsmr is doing well, there is clearly and untapped market. How it atw going to drive anyone out of business when I know for a fact a vast number of people on this forum alone rate wsmr so well they'd travel with them over anything else. There's no harm in a little competition you know, and a direct service between any two places when you would have had to change can only be a good thing, particularly for passengers - not a day goes by when I have customers who'd rather catch a direct service than change at a station they may have to knowledge of.
I do however agree, we can make some progress on existing services.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
@ tbtc - I appreciate the point, especially considering that Aberystwyth is a university town. However, the fact still remains that there are places that need a direct link to London more than Aberystwyth. Blackpool, for instance, would gain a lot from a direct link to London. Whilst it may have services to Preston, an occasional route to Birmingham and the capital would be of great benefit to it.

I can see some logic in some London - Preston/ Lancaster services being directed/ extended to Blackpool when it gets wired up.

However, the leisure market there is mainly from the north of England - you'd get more Blackpool tourists from places like Sheffield/ Newcastle that lack a link than you would from London. There's still a market for Blackpool - London, of course.
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
As seen in the letter here, the ORR has confirmed that it will not approve the track access agreement primarily over concerns of revenue abstraction.

So open access is what the ORR decides and cannot include increased competition on fares? Err, did I miss something about the value of privatised railways or are single-provider service-levels now a key decider?
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
I would suggest that ATW concentrate on getting Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth to run hourly to start with.
On the current timetable, if you want to go between Aberystwyth & stations up the Cambrian coast (e.g. Barmouth, Harlech etc) you have about an hour to wait at Machynlleth in both directions. Making the Aber service hourly should solve this problem.
The connections at Shrewsbury are not brilliant with some other ATW services either, never mind the WSMR ones.

I think it would also open up new journeys if the additional service went to Crewe & Manchester (& the airport if room there) instead of Birmingham (which would still get the existing 2-hourly service) - it would make easy connections at Crewe/Stockport/Manchester possible for northbound or trans-pennine travellers to/from Aberystwyth plus access to the airport.
If necessary, do a join/spit at Shrewsbury with the Cardiff-Manchester services.
 
Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
I would suggest that ATW concentrate on getting Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth to run hourly to start with.
On the current timetable, if you want to go between Aberystwyth & stations up the Cambrian coast (e.g. Barmouth, Harlech etc) you have about an hour to wait at Machynlleth in both directions. Making the Aber service hourly should solve this problem.
The connections at Shrewsbury are not brilliant with some other ATW services either, never mind the WSMR ones.

I think it would also open up new journeys if the additional service went to Crewe & Manchester (& the airport if room there) instead of Birmingham (which would still get the existing 2-hourly service) - it would make easy connections at Crewe/Stockport/Manchester possible for northbound or trans-pennine travellers to/from Aberystwyth plus access to the airport.
If necessary, do a join/spit at Shrewsbury with the Cardiff-Manchester services.

One option would be an hourly Birmingham - Aber service (taking the Birmingham - Shrewsbury slots of the existing bi-hourly service), with the Birmingham - Holyhead route taking the path of the "slow" LM service between New St and Shrewsbury. That way you get one operator on the Telford line (ignoring WMSR), which would solve some of the other problems discussed here recently.
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
I would suggest that ATW concentrate on getting Shrewsbury-Aberystwyth to run hourly to start with.
On the current timetable, if you want to go between Aberystwyth & stations up the Cambrian coast (e.g. Barmouth, Harlech etc) you have about an hour to wait at Machynlleth in both directions. Making the Aber service hourly should solve this problem.
The connections at Shrewsbury are not brilliant with some other ATW services either, never mind the WSMR ones.

I think it would also open up new journeys if the additional service went to Crewe & Manchester (& the airport if room there) instead of Birmingham (which would still get the existing 2-hourly service) - it would make easy connections at Crewe/Stockport/Manchester possible for northbound or trans-pennine travellers to/from Aberystwyth plus access to the airport.
If necessary, do a join/spit at Shrewsbury with the Cardiff-Manchester services.

May I suggest that before we ask ATW to run hourly on the Cambrian Coast (which I could support as a customer service objective) we should first establish whether
1) the potential traffic is there and whether paths are available
2) whether we should first ask whoever (or grouping) to provide an hourly direct or one-connect service to London from all Welsh stations

When I compare what ATW offets today in terms of point-to-point deliverables with the last years of BR it is a very significant improvement.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Yes, but Aberystwyth is both a tourist destination and a university town, meaning a fair amount of demand, something which a number of those places listed can't claim.

St Andrews is a University town and tourist destination without a railway station :p
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
St Andrews is a University town and tourist destination without a railway station :p

It is. And its where I spent the first seventeen years of my life. But Leuchars has two trains an hour to/from Edinburgh, with seven or eight buses an hour on the fifteen minute journey from Leuchars into St A. Plus there are the London trains. Its never had better public transport links in my lifetime.

Leuchars is really St Andrews Parkway. But if there were trains to St A then I'd expect them to run at least to/from Edinburgh if not further.
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
I am pretty shocked about that, there were plenty of rumours abound that it was a cert.

Obviously your rumours were from a porr source planner, you can't always believe what you hear.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good. Now maybe ATW can concentrate on, I don't know... improving their existing services? :roll:

They need to get the money back they have wasted on the construction of the proposal, I wonder how much that cost them? I also wonder if came out of their pocket or the WAG's, I wonder if the ATW representative who came up with the idea is in hiding?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I just noticed the following in the Arriva statement: "Aberystwyth will remain one of the few towns left in Britain without a direct link to the capital".


- The ATW spokeswoman.

FEW?! What does she mean, FEW? A few larger settlements with no direct link to London:

• Blackpool
• Grimsby
• Middlesbrough
• Mansfield
• Felixstowe
• Walsall
• Bolton
• many towns with no National Rail station, such as Peterlee, Ilkeston, Brixham

So what if Aberystwyth has no direct link to London? There are places that need it more, you know...!

I thought the capital of Wales was Cardiff? Maybe an Aber Cardiff direct service would be a better option for the WELSH franchise holder?


I fail to see why we were aiming to drive wsmr out of business

You use the word "WE" do you work for ATW by any chance HSTfan?
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, he does!!!

A Cardiff to Aberystwyth service would be fantastic - if it went via Carmarthen which isn't going to happen! Ever!
 

Donny Dave

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2005
Messages
5,394
Location
Doncaster
I wouldn't want to be merlodlliws neighbours though - the partying, late night binge drinking, orgies and fireworks would keep me awake all night :P :P

Hmm, he's not responded yet, he much be having 1 hell of a celebration :P
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Dont put it past the WAG....it is something they would come up with.

I think that is the way forward for ATW, they are the all Wales franchise and for the all Wales franchise to desctibe their capital as London and not Cardiff is bad PR especially for those WAG politicians who decide how much to fork out. I realy cant' see them keeping their franchise if they carry on as they are to be honest. This London venture was a poor decision and there is a lot more connected to this than meets the eye however there are some things that cannot be said publically on a forum.
 
Joined
8 Jun 2006
Messages
622
Location
Hopton Heath
They'll be wanting every station in Wales to have a direct link to Cardiff at this rate...

Pwhelli-Milford Haven via Machynlleth, Shrewsbury and Newport!

(With a 158 of course...)

Do it! :lol:

And then perhaps also a local stopping service (:lol:) Blaneau Ffestiniog-Aberdare via Llandudno Junction, Chester, Shrewsbury, Heart of Wales Line, Swansea and Cardiff Queen Street! Provided by a 153... refurbished of course. ;) It would be one train each way per day. "The Wales Voyager" service...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top