When I was recently home in the UK and back in the far South West, I found that there was no catering at all in Penzance, not even the hut that used to be outside the station. There is a shop in St Ives, and a lovely café at St Erth which has limited hours and friendly and hard working staff.. I noticed that the café at Redruth was also open. But in Truro, the franchise had changed and the level of service totally fallen. The choice of snacks, microwaved foods and choices of beverages has shrunk and you now cannot even but a magazine or newspaper at the station. The number of tables available for customers to sit at has shrunk as well. Zero chances of any competition at smaller stations.
I had the chance to visit Fort William, and they had a marvellous café with affordable food and drinks, even though there is a very limited rail service there compared to what is on offer in West Cornwall. I was not impressed by what was on offer by way of choice, for passengers at Glasgow Queen Street either.
I've no idea as to who organises and controls catering outlets in our stations but it really needs a kick up the backside. In so many places I saw recently, and admittedly in limited circumstances, it's poor.