• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ORR calls for more competition in station catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,410
Sorry if I have posted this before but I remember being at stations in London and the outlets all seemed to part of SSP.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



Spoons definitely do takeaway coffee and food, although they do not seem to market it.
That's because Travellers Fare (the in-house British Rail catering outfit), via a slightly circuitous route, became part of SSP and therefore they hold a monopoly of catering in many stations.

In the days of British Rail there were always a limited number of true independents and that remains the case now.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
I might not have been lucky with my experiences with independent coffee shops or smaller chains at national rail stations, but for the ones I have been to, the coffees have ended up tasting rather bitter. Though I would like to support independent businesses, the reality is that a larger chain coffee shop is consistent, and has a rewards system, and in the case of Mcdonalds and Cafe Nero, they are open late at London terminals. The latter is good for hot chocolates if you are in London Victoria at night.

The only time I support nonchain coffee shops these days is if I am at a heritage railway, especially if it's just spotting on the line.

If independent coffee shops offered the following, it might convince more people to use them.
  • Sustainability: If independent coffee shops start to become more self-service style cafes where the till is still manned for cakes and toasted sandwiches, and the coffee is from a self-service machine. The incentive is that you can get a small discount on your coffee or hot chocolate for a reusable cup, unlike at a Costa Express one.
As well as reduced plastic consumption, it can also help with improving bins onboard trains as they won't be blocked up as quickly if people weren't using as many disposable cups.
  • Price: I appreciate some coffees are more expensive to make, but if they were able to sell tea at no more than £1.50 and hot water for 50p so you can bring your own instant coffee sachet, these coffee shops could be considered better value for money.
We seem to be the only nation i know of that uses semi skimmed milk as standard. Its quite baffling really. The use of a creamier or 'normal' milk will kill off some of the bitterness
 
Last edited:

Trainlog

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2022
Messages
570
Location
Maidstone
We seem to be the only nation i know of that uses semi skimmed milk as standard. Its quite baffling really. The use of a creamier or 'normal' milk will kill off some of the bitterness
The thing is I don't mind a bitter coffee if it's done right. When I was in Spain last year, their Lattes were bitter but it tasted really nice. They are often served with a packet of sugar and a small biscuit at the Cafes I went to.

When Lattes over here are bitter, as in the case of my bad independant coffee shop experiences - they are gritty and taste burnt. It's put me off trying a lot of independent coffee shops over a reliable Costa, Cafe Nero or Mcdonalds coffee.

On the topic of station catering, I'm surprised that M&S hasn't looked into providing a coffee shop service at some stations.
 

physics34

Established Member
Joined
1 Dec 2013
Messages
4,094
The thing is I don't mind a bitter coffee if it's done right. When I was in Spain last year, their Lattes were bitter but it tasted really nice. They are often served with a packet of sugar and a small biscuit at the Cafes I went to.

When Lattes over here are bitter, as in the case of my bad independant coffee shop experiences - they are gritty and taste burnt. It's put me off trying a lot of independent coffee shops over a reliable Costa, Cafe Nero or Mcdonalds coffee.

On the topic of station catering, I'm surprised that M&S hasn't looked into providing a coffee shop service at some stations.
Yeh m&s certainly could go into that market considering their larger high st stores have them and some stations have their coffee machines.

Spain will probably use longlife whole milk in their lattes. Nice! But i do agree some independents here cant make a decent cuppa.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,513
Location
Northern England
On the topic of station catering, I'm surprised that M&S hasn't looked into providing a coffee shop service at some stations.
M&S in stations isn't M&S, it's SSP, so I can't see why they'd compete with their other coffee brands.
The ones at Birmingham New Street and Sheffield, perhaps others as well, do have self-service coffee machines
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top