In the past I used to love watching the shunter doing his stuff between rail vehicles.
But he seemed to be quite methodical.
Was the order of doing things laid down?
Things I saw them do
Adjust the side buffers. Out for screw coupling, in for buckeye
Lift/drop the buckeye
Remove tail lamps and place on platform
When the vehicles had been shunted together
open the cocks on the air brake so the train could not go anywhere or take the vacuum pipe off the 'blank'
Put the screw coupling on and tighten it if not buckeye
ETH jumper
Steam heat pipe
RCH lighting control jumper
MU jumpers
Last, connect the air brake and reservoir or vacuum brake
Dividing trains was the reverse except
The buckeye would need uncoupling (how as that done?)
If a screw coupling he would disconnect the brakes, but close the cock on the loco. The loco would then compress the buffers and that would allow the screw coupling to be easily undone
Attach tail lamps as appropriate.
Have I got that right and have I got the jargon right?
But he seemed to be quite methodical.
Was the order of doing things laid down?
Things I saw them do
Adjust the side buffers. Out for screw coupling, in for buckeye
Lift/drop the buckeye
Remove tail lamps and place on platform
When the vehicles had been shunted together
open the cocks on the air brake so the train could not go anywhere or take the vacuum pipe off the 'blank'
Put the screw coupling on and tighten it if not buckeye
ETH jumper
Steam heat pipe
RCH lighting control jumper
MU jumpers
Last, connect the air brake and reservoir or vacuum brake
Dividing trains was the reverse except
The buckeye would need uncoupling (how as that done?)
If a screw coupling he would disconnect the brakes, but close the cock on the loco. The loco would then compress the buffers and that would allow the screw coupling to be easily undone
Attach tail lamps as appropriate.
Have I got that right and have I got the jargon right?