Peter Sarf
Established Member
The Borderlands 230s might soon have served their purpose. That is buying time until BEMUs in the form of 777/1s are viable. I am not sure so soon but I think that is the way its going and might always have been.I still think they'd serve purpose on lines where a 197 is too overkill like the borderlands and/or the conwy valley line since they have low passenger numbers and will also free up 197s that are needed elsewhere. The 230s could be amazing trains once overheating is resolved and the wheels aren't so fragile. Though it seems by the time the borderlands line sees a renewed and refurbished class 230 talks with potential BMUs from merseyrail might be more realistic
Mind you the Pacers were intended as a cheap short term stopgap for rural lines, to smooth out demand for new DMUs. But we all know how long they lasted. Especially got better once the mistakes caused by an interfering media were rectified. I am referring to the BBC Nationwide insisting on promoting an untried UK gearbox from "Self Changing Gears" when the offering from Europe ("Voith" or ANOther iirc ?) was tried and tested.
I think we can see problems being solved slowly. The GWR battery trials will be interesting and those trials are needed to test/try the technology before it finds a home in quite possibly a completely different train than an ex D78. Either converted or new stock.
Whether that battery technology translates into something for the Borderlands 230s I don't know. There we have problems more applicable to the engines (choking on pollen). I still think progress could and should happen there.