• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opinions: Liveries that you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
The new TPE class 68 livery is gorgeous.
I also like the new dark blue SE 377 livery.
GNER dark blue looked very cool on the 225s.
Wrexham & Shropshire was retro but looked very tidy.
 
Last edited:
Joined
15 May 2018
Messages
7
Location
Penistone
I'm quite a big fan of the new Northern livery, something about the way the white contrasts with the blue just looks better to me than the previous iteration.
Personal favourite has to be the current TPE livery, which manages to look absolutely stunning on both the 185s and all the new stock.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
By era my favourites are:

Big 4 - GWR green and LMS maroon & gold livery applied to the Coronation class
BR 1948 to 1960 - silver & black (as applied to the Ivatt twins) and the lined blue livery used for express steam locos in the early years of nationalisation
BR 1960 to 1980 - maroon (as applied to some class 52s) and prototype HST livery
BR post 1980 - Railfreight triple grey, Inter city swallow
Defunct post privatisation liveries - GNER, original Great Western Trains livery (green and white but without the later gold stripe)
Current - Chiltern LHCS livery and GWR green (bit of deja vu there :E )
 

jonesy3001

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2009
Messages
3,317
Location
Otley, West Yorkshire
The GMPTE regional railways livery that the 323s carried from new as well as some of the 142s,150s and 305s when operating around the manchester area.
 

Paul L

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2018
Messages
11
Freightliner Class 70 Powerhaul. Still not sure about G&W orange and black.
p.s. thank you for posting a topic about railways not politics☺
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I was a big fan of both the FGW 'Fag Packet' livery and the WAGN cream with red doors that the 317/6s wore for many years. Anglia Railways on the 150/2s looked the part too! My favourite current livery is probably the new(ish) ATW livery.
 

Termy

Member
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
226
I adored FGW's Dynamic Lines. The new GWR Green does look very nice though. ATW too have had a good run with their latest design. We shall have to wait and see how well TfW/KeolisAmey do!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,899
Ice cream van, aka large-logo blue.

Nothing since has been as good as rail blue.
 

class387

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
1,580
gWr
New TPE
VTWC (red and silver)
London Midland
1930s London Underground red
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Intercity Swallow Charter fleet Mk1s. White rooves if I remember correctly.

Midland Mainline teal and orange - just appealed to me.

GNER - looked classy.
 

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
GWR green on a HST, as others have said. I also like the ATW 67/MkIII livery. Liveries seem to look nicer on LHCS I have to admit!
 

delt1c

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2008
Messages
2,182
B/R Blue Grey
Scotrail HST
Current Scot Rail Saltire
Jafa Cake
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
And my all time favorite - Northwestern Trains, before it got 'Firsted'. The dark blue with gold stars. They had some great advertising and branding at that time too!
 

Thebaz

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2016
Messages
496
Location
Purley
I did love the NSE livery. As a kid there was nothing more exciting than a Class 50 in resplendent NSE livery bursting through Clapham Jcn with a rake of similarly liveried MkIIs Exeter-bound.
Intercity's 'Swallow' livery as previously mentioned was also excellent. The current Southern livery I think is quite smart without getting the pulse racing lol. Thameslink livery is boring, as is Southeastern, although I do like the navy livery seen on some 377s.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
B/R Blue Grey
Scotrail HST
Current Scot Rail Saltire
Jafa Cake
Surprised it took 24 posts for Jaffa Cake to get a mention!

The SYPTE brown was pretty classy, but as it was only ever applied to a single unit I'm not sure it counts. Quite liked the Manchester Airport livery that a couple of 309s had, too.
 

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Network southeast

I did love the NSE livery. As a kid there was nothing more exciting than a Class 50 in resplendent NSE livery bursting through Clapham Jcn with a rake of similarly liveried MkIIs Exeter-bound.

^ that! Or storming out of Buckhorn Weston Tunnel!!! XD

mind Dynamic lines and SWT both took inspiration from NSE so must have been a good thing...
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Surprised it took 24 posts for Jaffa Cake to get a mention!

I was never overly enamoured with that one tbh.

The SYPTE brown was pretty classy, but as it was only ever applied to a single unit I'm not sure it counts. Quite liked the Manchester Airport livery that a couple of 309s had, too.

I'd forgotten about the PTE liveries, Strathclyde's orange and black livery was very nice and the maroon and cream which replaced it was okay too. The less said about WMPTE's attempts the better.
 

mushroomchow

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2017
Messages
455
Location
Where HSTs Still Scream. Kind of.
Sticking to what I know, granted, but I still stand by that the Stagecoach "house colours" look really nice on both the HSTs and Meridians.

Also fond of, and lament the passing of, Central Trains green, if only because growing up my Dad used to like it despite not caring a jot about trains. He used to talk about seeing the "little caterpillars" slinking through the landscape while he was out in his van. :)

Pre-privatisation, I can't look past Intercity Swallow livery. I don't think there's been a classier livery anywhere in the world in the modern era, with the possible exception of GNER's. It looks good on absolutely anything it's applied to, from HSTs to Mk. 1s, and even locos that never carried it "for real" - like 50031.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top