• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative (Works Track Delivery) FTC Darlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig94

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
12
Hi all, I have recently just applied for the title position with Network Rail last week I have already received an email back inviting me to complete an online assessment, I have 5 days to complete it from yesterday. Is there anyone else on here that has applied for this role? What does the assessment include? Is it basic numeracy literacy and mechanical comprehension psychometric test or is it more in depth? What happens after the assessment and how quickly does it happen?

This is my first time applying for Network Rail I decided I wanted a career within the Railway industry 11 month ago but I have held on for the right opportunity to pop up for me and I am more than sure this is it.

I am currently working in the construction business but I have past training military experience with the Royal Marines, will this be an advantage for me?

Is there anyone on here that has experience being a Works Delivery Tracks Operative? If so, what does the job entail and what are your views on the job role?

Just looking for some general information and tips for the application process, any help would be a great help.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
I believe Works Delivery isn't the normal teams (faulting or maintenance) but does small renewal jobs where required, I may be wrong though.

As an operative (that's the starting grade, then you can go up to technician(?) I believe!), but not completely sure what that will entail, mainly just assisting where required I suspect.

The Marines training will definitely help, there may be a section about recruiting ex services on their careers site (certainly used to be!)

The assessment is what you say, pretty simple stuff but there is a fair few questions so you do have to work through quite quickly. After that I presume it's an interview with the manager. That should be done fairly quickly as it should be done on the scores from the assessment (so just have to wait 5 days for everyone to do it)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

ge-gn

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2014
Messages
281
I work for works delivery but on the S&T side of things. We often provide S&T cover for works that the Track team are doing.

As a track operative you would be assisting in rail renewals, sleeper renewals, switch and crossing renewals, reballasting, and such like.

It can be hard and repetitive work, some use is made of small plant but there's a lot of shovel and bar work, and of course much of this work is done at nights and weekends when trains aren't running.

But there does seem to be a good sense of comeraderie in the teams, plus the money isn't bad with your night enhancement and overtime, and the pension is great once you're in the DB scheme.

Good luck!
 

Craig94

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
12
Just completed my online assessments, they give me two tests to complete the first one was un-timed and basic common sense. The second test was however was slightly difficult, I had 6 mins 30 sec to answer 40 multiple choice questions some where about payroll with a callender some where road directions and some where about accountancy. Half way through I realised it is extremely hard to answer all 40 within the time limit so I forgot about the time and answered all questions correctly instead of rushing to get all of them done and half of them wrong, I answered roughly 30 questions hoping I have done the right decision answering quality over quantity.
 

carriageline

Established Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
1,897
I sat with a friend recently while he did them questions, and IMO the second set of tests is completely disproportionate with the job. To get all 40 done in the time frame you seriously have to work quickly


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

The One

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2010
Messages
244
Works delivery I believe is removing and replacing rail removing and replacing sleepers stressing rail
 

Craig94

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
12
Completed my online assessment last Tuesday the deadline was Wednesday I received a confirmation email that my scores would be taking into consideration for the next stage (Interview) on Thursday. Anybody have an idea how long it usually takes for a reply if I was to be successful? It said on the vacancy advertisement that the position was to start January 2015 so I can only imagine they would move the application process on quite fast.
 

Alan Millar

New Member
Joined
22 Feb 2015
Messages
1
Hi Craig,
I have got one day left to complete the on-line assessment. In the e-mail there are links to practise tests. There seems to be loads of the things. What were the headings of the tests you completed, ( ie,verbal, numerousy?)...
Oh and how did you get on your interview?
 

Craig94

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
12
Hi Craig,
I have got one day left to complete the on-line assessment. In the e-mail there are links to practise tests. There seems to be loads of the things. What were the headings of the tests you completed, ( ie,verbal, numerousy?)...
Oh and how did you get on your interview?

Just go for it I was worrying too much the questions do get hard on the second test the first test is just to find out what kind of worker you are you will figure out which answer they are looking for. As for the second test just read the questions carefully and answer them correctly, forget about the time because it is impossible to answer all 40 questions within the time limit unless you are a genius!
Yeah I did well at my interview, walked out with a job in the end!
 

The pick

New Member
Joined
11 Jul 2015
Messages
2
Hi Craig 94 what sort of interview questions did they ask you I have a operative role interview coming up?

Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top