• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative jobs and age

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbeams7

New Member
Joined
4 Mar 2015
Messages
3
Hello there.

I have recently applied for a couple of Operative jobs (off track) and got through the test stage.

I was wondering if age would be taken into consideration for manual jobs as i'm coming up to 50 soon :(

I know they will already know my age but how would it stand against younger applicants in the selection process?

I am still a fit and active outdoors type of person, regular cyclist and did a manual job up until a few months ago but
I keep thinking back to the 80s when loads of 40 year olds were considered to be on the "scrap heap" if they lost there jobs.

Maybe they could send me for a run around the block during my interview.

Any thoughts.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Listen, if you can do the job then you can do the job and your age shouldnt be a barrier to that.

Depending on what job it is specifically that you are going for then your age could actually work for you in a reverse of age discrimination against older people. But I didnt tell you that right ;)
 

Grafter

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2014
Messages
37
Location
South West
I'm 47 and have been offered a place by DB Schenker as ground staff. There is plenty of life in the old dog yet...
 

sunbeams7

New Member
Joined
4 Mar 2015
Messages
3
Thanks for the replies guys.

Congratulations on the job Grafter.

I guess if they keep putting the retirement age back it means we must still be a capable age.
 

BlueMallard

New Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
4
Hi, I've applied for a couple of vacancies and I'm in my 50's - i still feel nimble and I hope the maturity will count,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top