Not really, the driver is (an integral) part of the signalling system.
Err, no. It's not.
Not really, the driver is (an integral) part of the signalling system.
Not really, the driver is (an integral) part of the signalling system.
LOL that's a good one![]()
Passengers don't need to know the specific details, other than estimates on when they might get to where ever they're heading, but letting them know a bitwhere appropriate to do socan help improve their opinion of the railway.
I would have thought a majority of passengers are quite happy with Operating Incident, and roughly how long the delay might be,they would be none the wiser if it was a track fault, signal fault, Xing failure. which oddly I think comes under 'Operating' ! (and an incident), maybe it should be changed to "Operating Difficulties" that covers it quite well![]()
I can only speak for myself, but as a passenger I don't find "operating incident" very satisfying. If I'm delayed it's nice to have a vague idea why, as it affects my perspective on the delay:
- if it's a person hit by a train, my annoyance at the delay will be mitigated by sympathy for the people involved
- if it's some sort of equipment/infrastructure failure, I can chalk it up to "stuff happens". If it appears to be a common recurring problem I can ask the TOC what they're doing about it.
- if it's human error, I can chalk it up to "stuff happens". If it appears to be a common recurring problem I can ask the TOC what they're doing about it.
- if it's passengers messing about, I can have a comforting grumble about society going to the dogs.
Etc.
"Operating incident" doesn't really help with any of that, and I'm reasonably confident that I'm not unusual in my desire for information. Sure, knowing the reason for the problem won't get me home any quicker, but as humans, when we're thwarted it helps to know why.
To be honest, I think that those of you claiming that "you only need to know how long the delay is" are being somewhat glib - if I tell you that the water supply to your home is going to be cut off tomorrow for the day, are you going to passively accept that or would you at least like to know why?
'Operating incident' doesn't cover a fatality or passengers messing about. There are separate 'names' given for that. If it's an operating incident, it means somebody has cocked up or the infrastructure has gone titsup. It is likely the specifics may not be known until some time afterwards (when the affected passengers are long gone). Hence, operating incident it is. I'm unsure what people are asking for really, if specifics aren't known yet by the professionals you're going to have a hard time giving details to passengers.
'Operating incident' doesn't cover a fatality or passengers messing about.
Oddly when road traffic is stopped, due to a 'Police Incident' no complains about that !
And as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, if you don't have the information then say you don't know. Be honest.What we are failing to grasp here, despite it being mentioned numerous times, is that sometimes the 'specific information' that is being demanded just isn't there.
An 'operating incident' means "something has gone wrong, and there will be some disruption". There is absolutely an argument for giving as much info as possible about the potential impact and delay, but I really don't see how the precise specifics of exactly what just happened, Air Crash Investigation style, are of any tangible benefit to those being delayed, other than for purposes of voyeurism.
What we are failing to grasp here, despite it being mentioned numerous times, is that sometimes the 'specific information' that is being demanded just isn't there. Again, as has been pointed out, even internal staff systems will state 'operating incident', other than the detailed incident log which is restricted to authorised users.
We don't know. At the time of the incident, we honestly, truthfully, don't know.Oh for crying out loud would you please actually listen to everybody who has said time and time again that nobody is asking for precise specifics. What we want is a plain English summary of the immediate cause and a best guess about the likely impact to our journeys. What we do not want are non-explanations that purport to say something but actually do not.
Would you rather hear that?
And as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, if you don't have the information then say you don't know. Be honest.
We don't know. At the time of the incident, we honestly, truthfully, don't know.
We don't know what's happened, we don't know how it's happened, we don't know why it's happened, and we don't know how long it will take to get back to normal.
Would you rather hear that?
And as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, if you don't have the information then say you don't know. Be honest.
Oh for crying out loud would you please actually listen to everybody who has said time and time again that nobody is asking for precise specifics. What we want is a plain English summary of the immediate cause and a best guess about the likely impact to our journeys. What we do not want are non-explanations that purport to say something but actually do not.
We don't know. At the time of the incident, we honestly, truthfully, don't know.
We don't know what's happened, we don't know how it's happened, we don't know why it's happened, and we don't know how long it will take to get back to normal.
Would you rather hear that?
Seems so.And as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, if you don't have the information then say you don't know. Be honest.
"Say you don't know"? What terminology would you like to be used for that, which is somehow better than 'operating incident'?
'Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to St Pancras International. We'd like to apologise for the delay in the departure of the 13:00 East Midlands Trains service to Corby. We don't know why.'Spot on.
Be honest with us.
Wow, 22 pages of another 'Operational Incident'.
I can't wait for the same topic to appear next week with people demanding answers and the beheading of staff when they cock up.
I could give you dozens! But bear in mind I am at a station, not on a train. So when a customer asks why their train is late, and I have received no information, or even notification, when I say I know nothing, I know nothing.I think there are very few incidents where literally nothing is known. Can you give an example where literally nothing is known? I will quite happily provide a plain English explanation!
I could give you dozens! But bear in mind I am at a station, not on a train. So when a customer asks why their train is late, and I have received no information, or even notification, when I say I know nothing, I know nothing.
What we are failing to grasp here, despite it being mentioned numerous times, is that sometimes the 'specific information' that is being demanded just isn't there,
An 'operating incident' means "something has gone wrong, and there will be some disruption".
"Say you don't know"? What terminology would you like to be used for that, which is somehow better than 'operating incident'?
'Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to St Pancras International. We'd like to apologise for the delay in the departure of the 13:00 East Midlands Trains service to Corby. We don't know why.'
Then say those things in the announcements!

'Something has gone wrong' and 'there may be disruption' are just as meaningless, surely?
What are they telling you that 'operational incident' doesn't?
It is the perception that matters. "Operational incident" gives the impression that something has gone wrong, you have no idea why, and instead of being honest you are just fobbing the passenger off. No different in the actual meaning. All the difference in how the passenger feels.