Bromley boy
Established Member
- Joined
- 18 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,609
With regards to passing information, and the use of phrases like "operational incident", my personal opinion is that it is a bit of a cop out. Yes, as an industry we mustn't overwhelm passengers with jargon, but keeping them in the dark by being unnecessarily vague is just going to lead to frustration.
Railway staff are selected on their ability to communicate well, and so it isn't beyond their ability to relate that to the passengers in a way that accurately states what's up without losing them in the first sentence. Sometimes using a *bit* of jargon can actually help, as it instills a bit of confidence, reminds the passengers that the staff know what they're talking about and know what's going on.
"Due to a problem currently under investigation" in my opinion is fine to use as a holding message, but really ought to be updated to a meaningful reason as soon as possible. Information during disruption is something that comes up in passenger feedback time and time again so it really is only fair the industry tries to do something about it.
I agree with this.
I generally try and give as much information as reasonably possible and appropriate to a short PA announcement. "Being held at a red signal because of... train crossing our path ahead/awaiting free platform/awaiting path out of station etc."'
A lot of problems come from the fact that, for the worst delays, often no information will be made available to the driver for quite some time hence there is a temptation to say more than just blandly repeating an announcement about being held at a red signal. I suspect a lot of people use "operating incident" when they don't know what's going on as a cover all which doesn't really mean anything, therefore isn't incorrect or untruthful.
People have differing opinions about how much to say about fatalities and medical incidents. I can imagine that at this time of year with a lot of school age and younger children on the train an announcement that "the train ahead has struck a person" may put a few parents' backs up. However in this situation I think I'd still err on the side of being truthful if only to avoid accusations of fobbing people off.
