• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opening windows in very hot conditions (and when someone protests!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I've put this in General Discussion as it could equally apply to trains and buses (and elsewhere).

What are your thoughts when it's clearly far too hot for most people to be comfortable, windows are opened as a result, and someone complains?

I'm not talking about borderline cases, or cases where it's raining or similar, but extreme ones where the majority of customers feel uncomfortably hot.

On a very hot bus recently, a group of 9 passengers boarded a bus and had a brief discussion regarding windows and it was concluded they should be opened. Another passenger sat next to one of the group agreed and asked if someone (let's say 'Person A') could reach the window near her to open it. This was done. The environment in the bus was vastly improved as a result and many people agreed on that.

A few minutes later, another lady sat further back tapped Person A on the back and said the window should be closed as it was draughty. Person A declined to close the window saying 'we like it draughty'. The lady said something like 'you may like it draughty but I don't as I have tooth ache' and moved towards the front of the bus.

Other passengers could be heard commenting on their relief that the windows remained open.

So... should someone have the right to overturn the will of the majority of passengers? Has anyone witnessed something like this? What would you have done?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I think in a dispute, ultimately, passengers have the final say over the window they're close to.

The right of the passenger next to the window trumps that of someone elsewhere. If they're both next to the window, you can probably close it on the grounds that a window will probably be open elsewhere on the bus.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,722
Location
Nottingham
It's unfortunate that most modern vehicles windows don't have much effect on the person next to them, but produce a draught for the people several rows back.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I boarded a Merseyrail train in Southport a couple of weeks ago, which was absolutely stifling. I found a seat and glanced around the carriage, where there was only one other person in view, a bloke sitting on the other side of the aisle. I asked if he minded if I open the window on my side, and he replied "yes I do actually, I'll be in a draught".

I was so gobsmacked (and roasting hot!) that I harumphed a bit, while gathering up my bags. He then said "oh go on then, I'll put up with it", but I said "don't worry, I'll go somewhere else", and trotted off down the carriage!

Couldn't help thinking that it wouldn't be long before someone else, either at Southport or a subsequent station, opened the window without even asking.

The only time I do object to all the windows being open is on a NT Pacer when it is at full pelt (if that isn't an oxymoron :lol: ) and the cumulative draughts are practically blowing my head off! Even then I don't close them though, unless there's no-one else between the nearest offending window and my seat.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In Germany das Fenster bleibt immer geschlossen :)

However in the UK I've never come across a train where windows are passenger-operable where they were all closed in very hot conditions. Indeed, on LM's 321s there's normally a few open even when it's freezing or raining.

I believe the rule in France is in the case of dispute the default is closed; there used to be little signs on them to that extent on French buses.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Because of the upper deck cooling system on many London buses it is often cooler when the windows are closed. Yet recently when Ive been on buses all the windows are open.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
For me the person complaining can go swivel. There's no air con on the buses I use at least and I'm not prepared to become ill (I get headaches when it's too hot) because someone's thermostat is off.

What usually happens is that there is a silent war of opening and closing the window
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
Yeah, it can be irritating when someone opens a window and you're in a draught, but at least you can put a jacket on. If the heat is grossly excessive then there's a limit to how many clothes you can take off in polite company. Better to be a bit chilly than have someone potentially pass out through the heat.
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
Because of the upper deck cooling system on many London buses it is often cooler when the windows are closed. Yet recently when Ive been on buses all the windows are open.

This is something that irritates me no end - people in this country don't seem to understand that air conditioning doesn't work if you open the windows. People don't really seem to get that if it's hot outside, it doesn't help if you then put a great gaping hole in the side of your nice, cool bus/office/house allowing a great big waft of hot air inside.

Those same people would presumably be horrified at the idea of having the windows open with the heating on in winter!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Not wanting to hurt any feelings here but I regularly find members of the over 70 age group object to the windows being opened on a hot day and arnt bothered that other people are getting hot and headakey. I try and respect others feelings but sometimes something gives.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
Not wanting to hurt any feelings here but I regularly find members of the over 70 age group object to the windows being opened on a hot day and arnt bothered that other people are getting hot and headakey. I try and respect others feelings but sometimes something gives.

Yes, a significant proportion* of that particular demographic sector of ^society^ seems to think that everyone else is under some sort of duty to suffer for a supposed greater good.

* Yes, it could be a minority, but there's nothing to cancel their effects out.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
For me the person complaining can go swivel. There's no air con on the buses I use at least and I'm not prepared to become ill (I get headaches when it's too hot) because someone's thermostat is off.

What usually happens is that there is a silent war of opening and closing the window

I was on a District Line train last year in the rush hour, one bloke in the seats of four opened a window, the women opposite slammed it shut, he then opened it, she slammed it, then they started arguing, they did not know each other, it was like that until one of them got off a few stops along the line. The rest of the passengers just laughed at them. It's a wonder the window did not break.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,466
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
It's unfortunate that most modern vehicles windows don't have much effect on the person next to them, but produce a draught for the people several rows back.

Well said, that man.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, a significant proportion* of that particular demographic sector of ^society^ seems to think that everyone else is under some sort of duty to suffer for a supposed greater good.

* Yes, it could be a minority, but there's nothing to cancel their effects out.

You, of course, speak with great medical knowledge of how elderly people can be affected by such matters, having thinner skins, etc.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
Not wanting to hurt any feelings here but I regularly find members of the over 70 age group object to the windows being opened on a hot day and arnt bothered that other people are getting hot and headakey. I try and respect others feelings but sometimes something gives.

Yep, that's my experience too. I had someone on a bus back from Whitby screaming all sorts of abuse when I complained that they got on the bus and shut the window by my seat, even though it was 32C outside. Sadly they managed to hold the window shut and I didn't get to trap their fingers in it :(

I wouldn't have minded, but there were plenty of seats so they could have sat further forward in the bus. All the more galling when you know they've paid diddly squat for their ticket too.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Try travelling in mainland Europe, it will be 30+ degrees and most people won't open windows and if you dare to do so, it will generate a 'looks could kill' stare - even if the train is stationary. It seems sweatiness is something a lot of people enjoy over there...
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Try travelling in mainland Europe, it will be 30+ degrees and most people won't open windows and if you dare to do so, it will generate a 'looks could kill' stare - even if the train is stationary. It seems sweatiness is something a lot of people enjoy over there...

Possibly because if it was a warmer country than yours (presumably the UK), they are used to higher temperatures. That's why they have shirt and suit or jacket and trousers etc. when we swelter walking around in a light shirt and shorts.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Possibly because if it was a warmer country than yours (presumably the UK), they are used to higher temperatures. That's why they have shirt and suit or jacket and trousers etc. when we swelter walking around in a light shirt and shorts.

So, so true!

I remember the very first time we went to Spain on the coach when I was young. We had done a rest stop around an hour before and it was stifling hot, we now pulled in for fuel further down the road. An attendant that was working there was wearing a parka! :lol:
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
It was funny in Bermuda seeing the business men going to work on the ferries, wearing suit jacket and tie, with formal shoes and knee length socks, but the suit trousers were longish shorts! I suppose they get used to the climate when they live there, but it wiped me out and I didn't even have to do anything.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Once, many years ago, I was on a long distance bus (in another country on a visit). It was a sweltering hot day, and long before A/C was considered on buses, but every time anybody opened a window (including roof vent) a middle-aged lady vented her spleen at them about how she wasn't getting her (immacutely coiffed blue-rinsed) hair ruined and got a long-suffering husband to close it.

The stop before the final destination, another lady stood up to get off, and as she walked past the hairdoo, she put her hand out, ruffled it beyond repair, and then walked forward and got off, to roars of laughter! The husband was sent to get the driver but he said the passenger had got off, there was nothing he could do - and then HE opened the window at the request of numerous passenger!
 

meridian2

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2013
Messages
1,186
The problem is, one person may find the compartment hot the other cold.

If people were a little more considerate in their actions, there wouldn't be this existential stand-off. A simple question: 'would you mind if I opened the window?' followed by 'no thanks, I'm alright' does not warrant billions of pages of drivel.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
The problem is, one person may find the compartment hot the other cold.

If people were a little more considerate in their actions, there wouldn't be this existential stand-off. A simple question: 'would you mind if I opened the window?' followed by 'no thanks, I'm alright' does not warrant billions of pages of drivel.

You're new here, aren't you? :p
 

themeone

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
289
I find peopole very timid about this. So much so that I've seen windows remain wide open on buses and trains in sub-zero temperatures, and everything kept tightly closed in hot weather on a non air-conditioned vehicle.

I've only had one experience that I remember. On a hot morning I opened a window on a crowded Thameslink 319. Most people looked quite relieved (though of course would never have thought of opening a window themselves, apparently), but a woman near where I was standing starting scowling and tutting, and after about 20 minutes she got up and closed it.

Since I was near the end of my journey I decided to leave someone else to argue with her if they wanted, but couldn't help reflecting she might have been less cold had she been wearing more clothes. It's a bit rich to sit there in a low-cut, sleeveless top and then complain you're cold.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Try travelling in mainland Europe, it will be 30+ degrees and most people won't open windows and if you dare to do so, it will generate a 'looks could kill' stare - even if the train is stationary. It seems sweatiness is something a lot of people enjoy over there...

It's been consistently about 25C-32C in Munich over the past month or so and I've noticed most windows have been opened on the older stock of the U-Bahn (Underground) creating a lovely cooling draught. Not seen many people closing them. More pleasant than the newer air conditioned units. The trams and buses however seem to have this open/close problem. :roll:
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
The bus often chooses for you around here...
Other than that it is rare for anyone to object to a window being open, however most won't open them themselves however hot it is.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
I can remember one experiance on a bus, where it wasn't exactly hot or cold. I would say it was a mild sort of temperature, but it was pouring with rain. I sat in one of the only remaining seats which happened to be behind an open window. This wasn't a problem with the bus stationary, but as the bus moved off, the rain entered through the window and scored several direct hits on my face (particularly my eyes).
I asked the lady sitting closest the window if she minded me closing it, she replied "Actually I'm roasting hot so, no you can't, I'm sweating", at this point the rain scored another direct hit and my temper sadly wore thin.....So I shot back "Meanwhile I'm getting ****ed wet through" , "Well move" (The bus was packed at this point with no room to swing a cat (not that I'm into that sort of thing please don't call the RSPCA)) "where to" I replied, with much under the breath cursing the window was closed.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I can remember one experiance on a bus, where it wasn't exactly hot or cold. I would say it was a mild sort of temperature, but it was pouring with rain. I sat in one of the only remaining seats which happened to be behind an open window. This wasn't a problem with the bus stationary, but as the bus moved off, the rain entered through the window and scored several direct hits on my face (particularly my eyes).
I asked the lady sitting closest the window if she minded me closing it, she replied "Actually I'm roasting hot so, no you can't, I'm sweating", at this point the rain scored another direct hit and my temper sadly wore thin.....So I shot back "Meanwhile I'm getting ****ed wet through" , "Well move" (The bus was packed at this point with no room to swing a cat (not that I'm into that sort of thing please don't call the RSPCA)) "where to" I replied, with much under the breath cursing the window was closed.

She could have offered to swap seats with you :p .
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
there is no issue in my mind - if i am hot and it is an obviously roasting day the window is open. End of story.

If someone asks nicely and is obviously freezing i will shut it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top