Shimbleshanks
Established Member
Just come back from a trip to Malta. I took one of the limited stop services from the airport to my hotel (X1, X2, can't remember which one) About 20 minutes into the journey an African guy (one of the island's refugees) went rushing up to the front of the bus.
"Hey man! You didn't stop!"
"This is an express bus, we don't stop there. Next stop's the Unversity."
"But that's miles! I've got to get off there; I can't walk all the way back!"
"We don't stop until University..."
I'm didn't then hear what the guy then said, but the driver pulled into the side of the road, slammed on the brakes and got out of his seat, brandishing his fists at the guy and yelling something in Maltese. He didn't actually hit him, but looked like he very much wanted to. Then the driver got back into his seat, and drove to a layby at the side of a busy dual carriageway, and opened the door. (I'm not sure if it was an official stop.)
"Now get off!"
"No way man! It's in the middle of nowhere."
"Get off my f***ing bus!"
An impasse ensued, and with the engine stopped, so did the aircon, and it was a hot day. (There were a good 40 passengers on board) The driver got onto control. Eventually, an official from Public Transport Malta turned up in a car, and started to remonstrate with the passenger, who still refused to budge.
Then, after 15 minutes or so, two policemen turned up. They finally persuaded the guy to get off. They didn't seem to arrest him; in fact I got the impression that they agreed to drive him to wherever he'd been going to, and we too went on our way, the best part of an hour late.
Has anyone else come across a driver hitting or threatening a passenger, as opposed to the other way round?
"Hey man! You didn't stop!"
"This is an express bus, we don't stop there. Next stop's the Unversity."
"But that's miles! I've got to get off there; I can't walk all the way back!"
"We don't stop until University..."
I'm didn't then hear what the guy then said, but the driver pulled into the side of the road, slammed on the brakes and got out of his seat, brandishing his fists at the guy and yelling something in Maltese. He didn't actually hit him, but looked like he very much wanted to. Then the driver got back into his seat, and drove to a layby at the side of a busy dual carriageway, and opened the door. (I'm not sure if it was an official stop.)
"Now get off!"
"No way man! It's in the middle of nowhere."
"Get off my f***ing bus!"
An impasse ensued, and with the engine stopped, so did the aircon, and it was a hot day. (There were a good 40 passengers on board) The driver got onto control. Eventually, an official from Public Transport Malta turned up in a car, and started to remonstrate with the passenger, who still refused to budge.
Then, after 15 minutes or so, two policemen turned up. They finally persuaded the guy to get off. They didn't seem to arrest him; in fact I got the impression that they agreed to drive him to wherever he'd been going to, and we too went on our way, the best part of an hour late.
Has anyone else come across a driver hitting or threatening a passenger, as opposed to the other way round?