• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online routing guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
3,958
Location
Newcastle
Does anyone have a link handy for the online version of the routing guide? I want to look up valid routes for a Newcastle to Birmingham International standard open return.

TIA
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,486
Location
Yorkshire
Key points:

The shortest route is always valid, along with any routes not greater than 3 miles further than the shortest route

(e.g. in this case it's Birmingham Int, to Birmingham New St, to Sheffield, then via Pontefract Baghill to York, and on to Newcastle).

Direct trains are always valid.

Mapped routes are valid for journeys where the origin/destination do not share the same routeing point, this is where you need to consult the guide.

(e.g. in this case the relevant maps are: BG+ER; BP+MM+ER' BP+TV+LY+ER; BP+TV+TP; BS+GNCE+DG+ER; CE+ER; CM+LY+ER and CM+TP)

It's also worth bearing in mind that the "no doubling back" rule has various exceptions (see Grouped Stations) that allow you to do so - which can be extremely useful.

This particular ticket appears to be valid via the WCML between Carlisle and Nuneaton, or for the ECML as far south as Peterborough, or for MML as far south as Leicester, plus almost every conceivable route in between, making a circular route such as Newcastle-Carlisle-Preston-Crewe-Birmingham-Nuneaton-Leicester-Peterborough-York-Newcastle possible! So quite a useful ticket.
 

Craig

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2005
Messages
3,958
Location
Newcastle
This particular ticket appears to be valid via the WCML between Carlisle and Nuneaton
That's what I wanted to know. If I get finished early tomorrow, I might travel back via Carlisle and the Tyne Valley.

plus almost every conceivable route in between, making a circular route such as Newcastle-Carlisle-Preston-Crewe-Birmingham-Nuneaton-Leicester-Peterborough-York-Newcastle possible! So quite a useful ticket.
I realised this once I'd made sense of that awful website. A bargain at £125, I'm just glad I didn't pay for the ticket :lol:
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,486
Location
Yorkshire
I realised this once I'd made sense of that awful website. A bargain at £125, I'm just glad I didn't pay for the ticket :lol:
Fortunately, the same routes can be done on a Saver...and, with a railcard, you could still travel at peak time.
 

adambro

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2006
Messages
311
Okay, cheers. I was trying to find Virgin's saver conditions but with no luck. Would they be somewhere in the fares manual or elsewhere? Started looking through the fares manual but the section is 120 pages long so it would take a while.

Thanks again.
 

metrocammel

Verified Rep - Retro Railtours
Joined
11 Aug 2005
Messages
954
Okay, cheers. I was trying to find Virgin's saver conditions but with no luck. Would they be somewhere in the fares manual or elsewhere? Started looking through the fares manual but the section is 120 pages long so it would take a while.

Thanks again.

I dont know if it's online, but there is a leaflet, with a pic of a Pendo on the front, dedicated to SVR restrictions on VT (though I think it is for ICWC, rather than XC)
 

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
It's on a "Is my Saver Valid?" pocket leaflet for Virgin. It's written on the back IIRC.

Saver's at any time (Including Peak) are valid with Railcards EXCEPT with a Family Railcard.
 

adambro

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2006
Messages
311
Thanks very much for the help. Seems I would have been looking in the wrong section of the fares manual so you've saved me a lot of time (and potentially money). Cheers!
 

adambro

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2006
Messages
311
For the benefit of anyone else interested in Virgin's saver offer, details are also in their leaflet, "Travelling with Virgin Trains". Section 3.4 states "If you hold a valid Railcard, you can take advantage of the normal Railcard discount on top of our already great value Saver and Virgin Value fares. And if you buy a Saver ticket with your Railcard you can travel on any Virgin Trains' service at any time. Please ask for details at time of booking your ticket".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top