• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online bookings, how quick to collect the tickets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,135
Location
North London
I often book online and then collect at ticket machines. I do this to build up points on East Coast rewards, get TOC web site specific fares or in the case of tomorrow get the introductory 25% off Great Anglian's fares.

I understand that 2 hrs is the official minimum between placing an order online and collecting tickets from the TVM ? Has anyone been able to collect in less than 2 hrs ?

Recently found out that you don't have to collect your tickets from the selected station when ordering online. You can go on to collect from your tickets from any compatible TVM... doh. :oops:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
They say two hours however it may be possible in under that time, don't rely on it!
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Has anyone been able to collect in less than 2 hrs ?
Yes. This question appears on here once or twice a month, people regularly report being able to collect their tickets within several minutes of booking them.

Recently found out that you don't have to collect your tickets from the selected station when ordering online. You can go on to collect from your tickets from any compatible TVM
Indeed. That too is regulary pointed out to passengers on here - most recently was just this morning. Once booked, then all nationally networked TVMs will be able to print them for passengers who can provide the appropriate confirmation (their payment card and usually the booking reference number) even if another station is specified as the preferred place of collection.
 
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,135
Location
North London
Indeed. That too is regulary pointed out to passengers on here - most recently was just this morning. Once booked, then all nationally networked TVMs will be able to print them for passengers who can provide the appropriate confirmation (their payment card and usually the booking reference number) even if another station is specified as the preferred place of collection.

Forgive my repetitious question !

Be good if rail websites could add a note
"... you may also collect these tickets from another station, provided there are ticket machines capable of printing the order which you just place. And you do so entirely at your own risk."
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Has anyone been able to collect in less than 2 hrs ?

Yes. I live 5 minutes walk from Crayford station and frequently have to buy tickets online in case the booking office is closed. I always order just before leaving and have never failed to pick the tickets up. The only drawback is that I have to lie about my proposed journey time because if it is within 2 hours then the SE website offers no delivery methods. As it's always just an off-peak day return ticket that isn't a problem.

For the curious; in the afternoon peak (1600-1900) it is cheaper to buy an off-peak return ticket from Dartford to Sidcup than it is to use Oyster PAYG from Crayford to Sidcup and back. This is fine if the booking office is open, but the TVM can't sell it if it's closed.
 

brx378

New Member
Joined
19 Feb 2012
Messages
1
The fastest time I had a ticket from the machine was 5 seconds after the transaction was completed.

The member of staff said they was unable to sell railcard discounted tickets anymore. So I had to use my phone to buy the ticket and when I turned to the machine it was already there. I'd of
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
When booking on WebTIS sites, such as East Coast and Southern, you can normally pick up the tickets straight away. I have booked a ticket sat next to a ticket machine in a station then went straight to the machine to pick them up.

Trainline powered sites (such as SWT and fGW) seem to require 1 hour notice. A couple of times I have tried to pick them up after 55 minutes and wasn't able to pick up but I could after 65 minutes.

Incidentally, according to http://www.northernrail.org/travel/tickets/faqs, you only need 15 minutes notice if you use the Northern site:

9. How soon after booking can I collect my tickets?

We ask you to allow 15 minutes after booking online for the tickets to be available for collection from the self-service ticket machines. Please allow sufficient time to collect your tickets before your journey, especially during peak hours.
 

wellhouse

Member
Joined
4 Oct 2009
Messages
659
Location
West Yorkshire
A few years ago I found out the hard way that there was a lag before tickets were available at a TVM at Leeds. My office was just round the corner, and I booked my ticket just before walking to the station.

However, they were able to access the reservatin and print my tickets immediately at the ticket desk in the First Class Lounge.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I went to pick up tickets at WVH last night and it could only print one of the two journeys I had booked, the machine directed me to the ticket office to print the other one, which they could. Very strange.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top