• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
.... has she thought of not having an on-line presence or is that just unthinkable......
In the adult world, walking away is the sensible answer. But teenagers, especially girls, are pack animals - be or do anything different and the hyenas drag you down. Exclusion from the group is the most painful thing imaginable. All it needs is for the latest goss to be sent round on a site you do not subscribe to, and you are out. Of course the mature reaction is to ignore things and walk away, but, by definition, the people involved are not mature.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
Perhaps it is just new accounts then.

Nope, not at all. You will only ever need to input a phone number if you want to use the facebook app. If you use facebook only on a PC or laptop or other such 'non-mobile' media you NEVER need to input your phone number. Facebook may ask you for one but you are never under any obligation to provide one. This is entirely your choice.

These are my experiences, other user's experiences may differ.

By the way, I'm not having a rant here, just simply pointing out the fact that just because somebody asks for something, it doesn't necessarily follow that you need to provide it, no matter how many times they ask.

Above all, please be safe out there and never share anything online you are not comfortable with ....EVER... !!
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Johnuk123 - I find those comments to be rather unfair. What would you say if someone asked have you thought of not having an online presence?

Sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Ask fm do not do anywhere near enough to deal with on line bullying/trolling.

It is not right to imply the victims are to blame.


Don't think I did say the victims are to blame.

My point is that even if you had the most over-moderated site in the world you cannot stop abuse.

Even if abuse is taken off immediately which is impossible it's already too late as it's probably already been read.

There is no fool-proof way other than pre-moderating which would finish all social networking sites immediately.

It's alright implying that some people cannot live without Facebook but when it gets bad enough to kill themselves I'm afraid it's time to stop.
 

1e10

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2013
Messages
815
Nope, not at all. You will only ever need to input a phone number if you want to use the facebook app. If you use facebook only on a PC or laptop or other such 'non-mobile' media you NEVER need to input your phone number. Facebook may ask you for one but you are never under any obligation to provide one. This is entirely your choice.

These are my experiences, other user's experiences may differ.

By the way, I'm not having a rant here, just simply pointing out the fact that just because somebody asks for something, it doesn't necessarily follow that you need to provide it, no matter how many times they ask.

Above all, please be safe out there and never share anything online you are not comfortable with ....EVER... !!

Strange. A friend of mine recently signed up for Facebook and it would not let her pass the signup process until it had confirmed a mobile number for her. It didn't store the number for her on her account, but send her code that she had to input to a box on the signup process before her account became 'Active'.

Perhaps they run some kind of risk system where it only asks certain people to confirm their identify via a mobile number where it believes they pose a threat to the site.
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
Strange. A friend of mine recently signed up for Facebook and it would not let her pass the signup process until it had confirmed a mobile number for her. It didn't store the number for her on her account, but send her code that she had to input to a box on the signup process before her account became 'Active'.

Perhaps they run some kind of risk system where it only asks certain people to confirm their identify via a mobile number where it believes they pose a threat to the site.

That may well be but I doubt it. I just tried on the off chance and created an alter ego without difficulty. Better disconnect that one though. I don't want to be a girl born in 1934....any more...:)

Having said that I am not in the UK, where facebook may have different policies than other countries.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
With Ask.fm on mine every time I answer a question it posts on my facebook, I too recently have been receiving abusive messages but because it posted to facebook I have had people see it and join you to defeat and expose the trolls so you don't suffer in silence unlike on other sites. For example I have attached a message I recently received The bottom one is my friend.
 

Attachments

  • 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 62

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
It's kind of funny seeing those idiots who can't even talk properly trying to throw abuse at others.

Perhaps that is the only way they know how to communicate. Bless.
 

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,554
Location
Geordie back from exile.
After seeing the link supplied by ollieb, thank you by the way, I actually begin to fear for the future of the human race. If this is ask.fm then I am glad I am not part of it.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
After seeing the link supplied by ollieb, thank you by the way, I actually begin to fear for the future of the human race. If this is ask.fm then I am glad I am not part of it.

Indeed, As you can see sometimes just a simple Post of unity can make others think twice before posting abuse again. That post was posted on Sunday night. Today I have had no abuse since these were posted showing unity and that Others are there to support me.
 

Attachments

  • 2468.jpg
    2468.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 45

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
The strategy my son used when he got hate was to sarcastically agree. I was looking beige and where he'd get something like 'omg ur such a d!çk I hate you so much' he'd reply 'aw thank you I hate me too : )' which I thought was good as I guess they wouldn't expect that!
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
The strategy my son used when he got hate was to sarcastically agree. I was looking beige and where he'd get something like 'omg ur such a d!çk I hate you so much' he'd reply 'aw thank you I hate me too : )' which I thought was good as I guess they wouldn't expect that!

It does usually work yes.
 

ReverendFozz

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
484
Location
Murton, Co. Durham
To be honest joining Ask fm is asking for trouble, its all too easy for 'anonymous' users to post comments.
You lot are saying not to bother logging on anymore, well when in the middle of online arguments, these websites can become something of an addiction, I'm somewhat of a compulsive facebook user.

But I don't understand people who kill themselves over online insults.

I fully understand what must be going through a young persons mind, given that I myself was lucky to survive a suicide attempt when I was 15, Facebook, Ask or Twitter was not around then, but for 2 years I had been getting bullied, not just name calling, physical abuse and abuse that bordered on sexual abuse as well, I was bullied by lads, lasses and even teachers...I would be told I was 'pathetic', I wasn't living, I was existing, I was only there as a tool for bullies, I would be better off dead, people would even try to give me suicide tips, I was a walking bruise for 2 years without a single friend in the world, since then the only problem I had was on a message board when I was 19, I jumped to the defence of another member who was getting abused and bullied, and the person turned on me with some of the most sickening threats I ever had to deal with, but I took that to the police and it was dealt with.

I can relate to this girl who was bullied online and I can fully sympathise with her family, if this was anything like when I was a kid it has hard to talk about things like this, it was impossible to goto teachers and when I did, I would end up being branded a troublemaker.

At the end of the day, if young people are being picked on online or in real life, I would urge, practically on my hands and knees begging them to find someone to talk to
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I am the sort of person that, if I received abuse online, I'd either reply to it in a humorous and condescending way, or ignored it, as per the saying "don't feed the trolls". I wish more young people were headstrong though, and didn't take the abuse to heart. :|
 
Last edited:

Morgsie

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2011
Messages
387
Location
Stoke-On-Trent
I have been victim of online bullying by Moderators on another forum I use, I have been bullied off due to an incident before the news of the teenager who committed suicide due to bullying. I have logged off and will not be logging back on until I know it is safe to do so. It is not right for Moderators to get away with bullying

I have not experienced bullying on this forum
 
Last edited:

jon91

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2010
Messages
307
Location
Blackburn
It could be interpreted that some posters here are essentially saying that you shouldn't do anything if bullying can occur, slightly impractical considering how widespread bullying is and in this case is downright thoughtless and insensitive.

Simply blocking a website is a short-term and ineffective solution, removing oneself from social networks such as twitter and facebook would be a simplistic and rather crude way of dealing with cyberbullying. Neither of these effectively deal with the bullies themselves and returning to what I previously said, why should the victim have to restrict their own freedoms?

At the end of the day bullying should be unacceptable anywhere, regardless of the form it takes.
 

Morgsie

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2011
Messages
387
Location
Stoke-On-Trent
What happened was that I was banned from 2 forums out of the blue and the Mod's reasoning was that it was in my best interests. I was not contacted prior to this. This Mod has lied aswell

I am autistic (Aspergers) and I have depression which they knew about and it has been used against me including the Moderator in question
 
Last edited:
Joined
19 May 2013
Messages
24
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...told-drink-bleach-bullies-website-Ask-fm.html

Been reading this. I'll post it here too.



A very sad story. There is also similar stories in the news about how people are being targetted on Twitter. Many high profile celebritys and politicans are able to drum up support for various methods to brong stuff like this to a stop. When it happens to an everyday indivdual it seems to get covered for a day or two and then forgotten about. There are many cases like this linked to Ask.fm.

This got me wondering. I'm 17 and have been using the website for a year or two like many of my friends have, it can be linked with Facebook and Twitter to interact on those sites. Most of my friends have it.

I know many of you here are much older and probably have kids/grand kids of your own.

How would you feel about your kids using a site such as this? Teens often want to setup profiles on these kind of websites regardless of how what their parents say.

If you son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter were to have a page on this website how likely would it be that you'd know about it?

What kind of measures do you think need to be taken to curve bullying like this online? Do you think measures for reporting and punishing those who dish out this cruel abuse are needed or do you think a full on shutdown of the site is required?

Looking forward to your views.

Peer pressure can be hard to resist, I know. The best thing I can think of is to set up a Facebook page and make your settings so that your friends can see your profile and to interact with you. Don't let the outside world in. A bit like a remote club. Open access sites where anyone can read what you write and leave anonymous messages must be avoided at all costs. Anonymity can bring out the very worst in people and frankly you only get to know a 'front' not the real person. In some cases they may be entirely different people from what they claim they are. Forget Twitter too. Only twits twitter and what can you say in a sentence anyway?

There are many places that you can go to meet young people of your own age. It is healthy to interact in the physical world - to play sports, to go to social events and to meet at friends houses to play music, or to do your homework together. None of these things need cost a lot but the rewards can be higher than just being stuck indoors and living a big chunk of your life on the internet pretending to have loads of friends who have never seen you, let alone care about you.

As for the ask.fm site. If you have a problem ask a real, trustworthy person, not an anoymous profile online, or seek out message boards that specialise ina specific area (like this one). If people troll you or start to abuse you, report the problem to the moderators and if the problem doesn't go away, make sure that you do. Take control of your own life; don't let others do it for you. All it takes is a deletion of an account, which is a lot less costly than a deletion of a life.

Suicide is, indeed, tragic. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...told-drink-bleach-bullies-website-Ask-fm.html

Been reading this. I'll post it here too.



A very sad story. There is also similar stories in the news about how people are being targetted on Twitter. Many high profile celebritys and politicans are able to drum up support for various methods to brong stuff like this to a stop. When it happens to an everyday indivdual it seems to get covered for a day or two and then forgotten about. There are many cases like this linked to Ask.fm.

This got me wondering. I'm 17 and have been using the website for a year or two like many of my friends have, it can be linked with Facebook and Twitter to interact on those sites. Most of my friends have it.

I know many of you here are much older and probably have kids/grand kids of your own.

How would you feel about your kids using a site such as this? Teens often want to setup profiles on these kind of websites regardless of how what their parents say.

If you son/daughter/grandson/granddaughter were to have a page on this website how likely would it be that you'd know about it?

What kind of measures do you think need to be taken to curve bullying like this online? Do you think measures for reporting and punishing those who dish out this cruel abuse are needed or do you think a full on shutdown of the site is required?

Looking forward to your views.

To keep safe on websites, read what the experts on this subject say. But at the top of my head I would suggest the following:

1. If you set up a Facebook profile - ensure the settings are Private, allowing only those you specifically invite see your profile.

2. Only invite people you have met before or else ensure you have a very good idea of what they are likely to be like. Don't randomly become a Facebook friend to anyone who invites you.

3. Never EVER divulge any personal information to people on any website.

4. Never EVER meet anyone alone that you have contacted on any website if you have never met them in person and can trust them. Don't even do that with new contacts who seem trustworthy after a long time - but you've still never met them - not unless that person is personally endorsed by someone you know in the flesh (also trustworthy) who recommends them as someone worth meeting and befriending.

5. Don't bother airing your views or personal diary content onto any open access site.

6. If you are ever abused, DON'T respond to the troll or flamer or the abuse. Just ignore them entirely. They will soon get bored if you are not giving them any pleasure in their cruelty. Also, just don't visit the site at all for a while. If the problem persists, even if you dont' answer - just close the account completely and move on.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Today's kids are pretty much the first generation to go through adolescence wholly online and they have to join social networks in order to fit in whereas people like myself (mid 20s) and those older than me could get away with having peer groups offline.

It's a very simple piece of advice for everyone to not post things you'd not say in public online. Having to go through social networks/chat rooms instead of conversing offline means hurtful things can be more easily posted. This can be done at any time too so it's easier to not get any information until it's too late. Walking away from social networks means walking away from the group and for impressionable teenagers the ostracisation may be too much.

A lot of controversy for this story is because those in charge have little idea of what a life wholly lived online for the world to see is like. They're applying the values they grew up with to a world which no longer exists. We've seen it already with blocking thepiratebay and the porn filter.

A side-effect of spending one's teenage years online is that your information is gathered (you, or more accurately your information/details, are the product on sites like Facebook) readily visible to anyone who wishes to search for it including future employers.

This is why I feel we must keep a degree of anonymity online, to protect ourselves from dangers more threatening than bullying.
 

Morgsie

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2011
Messages
387
Location
Stoke-On-Trent
It is the The Student Room and they have thrown out my complaint saying I was the one in the wrong because I broke T&Cs which I was pressurised to sign in the first place. I feel like it has been slapped in the face and I don't know what to do now. I have become depressed
 
Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
The moderation of online sites, particularly forums, leaves a lot to be desired and a lot of sites could do with taking a leaf out of how this site is moderated & managed.

I can't stop my daughter (16) from going online but I advise her that if anything starts kicking off then she should ignore it or close her account down (with particular emphasis on social media there). She has a Facebook account and a Twitter account that she has locked down to only people she invites/accepts
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top