• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One Commute 4 Motorways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I live in Falkirk and am working in Glasgow at the moment.

My journey is under 30 miles but involves utilising 4 Motorways - can anyone beat that for a similar length of travel?

M9, M876, M80 and M8 in case anyone was wondering :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
There is a bus in Bristol (X7) that uses the M32, M4, M5 & M48 for a 25mile run Bristol to Chepstow via Cribbs Causeway
 

Mr Spock

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2008
Messages
608
I live in Falkirk and am working in Glasgow at the moment.

My journey is under 30 miles but involves utilising 4 Motorways - can anyone beat that for a similar length of travel?

M9, M876, M80 and M8 in case anyone was wondering :lol:

I hope you keep within the speed limits:)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I hope you keep within the speed limits:)

Ho Ho ...... very witty :lol:

Actually surprisingly I generally do as most of the Motorways are only 2 Lanes and rarely facilitate excessive speeding. Lorries clogging up the outside lane are a perennial problem :oops:

The final part of my journey involves using the M8 where in theory the speed limit is 50mph as you approach Glasgow City Centre, but no one seems to obey that.

When I started the thread I meant to mention when I join the M9 that and the other three Motorways are used concurrently without leaving onto another type of road until the end of my journey.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
...

I meant to mention when I join the M9 that and the other three Motorways are used concurrently without leaving onto another type of road until the end of my journey.

Now that is very clever - I'd love to see that. :)

I'm sure that you meant consecutively.
 
Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
West Malling to South Nutfield is M20, M26, M25, M23 for 27-ish miles. Although I only did this a few times, as we had a customer in South Nutfield.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
West Malling to South Nutfield is M20, M26, M25, M23 for 27-ish miles. Although I only did this a few times, as we had a customer in South Nutfield.

Wow that's another "four" still waiting for a Five :p
 
Joined
27 Jul 2011
Messages
754
Location
Leeds
I did Bradford via my house in Leeds then Scunthorpe

M606, M62, M1, M621 (back on M62), M18, M180 and finally M181

7 motorways but was around 60 miles.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
The greatest number of motorways one can use without doubling back or leaving the motorway network is definitely far higher than that, e.g. M271, M27, M3, M25, M4, M5, M42, M40, M25*, M1, M6, M42*, M6 Toll, M6*, M56, M62, M60, M61, M6*, A74(M), M74, M73, M80, M876, M9, M876* is 21 motorways (and 900ish miles)

A better challenge might be finding the highest number of motorways to distance ratio.
 
Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
The greatest number of motorways one can use without doubling back or leaving the motorway network is definitely far higher than that, e.g. M271, M27, M3, M25, M4, M5, M42, M40, M25*, M1, M6, M42*, M6 Toll, M6*, M56, M62, M60, M61, M6*, A74(M), M74, M73, M80, M876, M9, M876* is 21 motorways (and 900ish miles)

A better challenge might be finding the highest number of motorways to distance ratio.
Well of course you can go higher: I was trying to keep the distance below 30 miles.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
The greatest number of motorways one can use without doubling back or leaving the motorway network is definitely far higher than that, e.g. M271, M27, M3, M25, M4, M5, M42, M40, M25*, M1, M6, M42*, M6 Toll, M6*, M56, M62, M60, M61, M6*, A74(M), M74, M73, M80, M876, M9, M876* is 21 motorways (and 900ish miles)

A better challenge might be finding the highest number of motorways to distance ratio.

Butts it's about one's commute - how many more than in the original post does one use, consecutively.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
If I'd lived in Higham (near Rochester), it would have been M2, A228, M20, M26, M25, M23.
That would be just over 37 miles to South Nutfield.
 
Joined
27 Jul 2011
Messages
754
Location
Leeds

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
If I'd lived in Higham (near Rochester), it would have been M2, A228, M20, M26, M25, M23.
That would be just over 37 miles to South Nutfield.

Sorry that does not count as the sojurn on the A228 disaqualifies you :p
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Not quite a commute but one of my mates goes to his mum's a couple of times a week in Henley-in-Arden and the drive takes him on five consecutive motorways: M1, M69, M6, M42 and M40, for a distance of 50 miles.
 

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
When I started the thread I meant to mention when I join the M9 that and the other three Motorways are used concurrently without leaving onto another type of road until the end of my journey.
And that's something you couldn't do in London.

Trivia fact: There are no junctions between Motorways wholly within Greater London.[*]

There used to be, but most urban Motorways in London were declassified in order to allow TfL to become the highway authority. The only Motorways in London now are those that are the responsibility of the Highways Agency; M1, M4 and M11. (A very short stretch of the M25 near junction 15 is in Greater London and the M25 forms the Greater London border in quite a few places.)

* The border between Greater London, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire runs through the M25/M4 junction (15/4B), but you have to leave Greater London to move from one Motorway to another.

E&OE :)
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Not quite a commute but one of my mates goes to his mum's a couple of times a week in Henley-in-Arden and the drive takes him on five consecutive motorways: M1, M69, M6, M42 and M40, for a distance of 50 miles.
I'd be tempted to go via Longbridge island, had J16 not been a limited junction.
And that's something you couldn't do in London.

Trivia fact: There are no junctions between Motorways wholly within Greater London.[*]

There used to be, but most urban Motorways in London were declassified in order to allow TfL to become the highway authority. The only Motorways in London now are those that are the responsibility of the Highways Agency; M1, M4 and M11. (A very short stretch of the M25 near junction 15 is in Greater London and the M25 forms the Greater London border in quite a few places.)
Wind back the clock just over a decade, and you could have some legitimate answers, namely the M41, A40(M) and A102(M).
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Not quite a commute but one of my mates goes to his mum's a couple of times a week in Henley-in-Arden and the drive takes him on five consecutive motorways: M1, M69, M6, M42 and M40, for a distance of 50 miles.

Bah humbug....trumped by an associate of a Cherry :cry:
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I have just realised that when I travel to my cousins in Leicester, I also use 5 consecutive motorways (M5,M42,M6,M69,M1).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top