• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On the Slow Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
918
Recently, I have read another book by Michael Williams - "On the Slow Train." It was written a decade or so ago. It is an excellent, entertaining, gentle read bought cheaply secondhand with chapters of just the right length to read at the end of the day!


So, those of us who feel a nostalgic affinity for the heady, halcyon days when there was a branch-line to almost anywhere outside of major towns and cities, are back in vogue! We are, perhaps fortunate that not all of those wonderful old lines have disappeared. Writing around a decade ago, Michael Williams takes us on twelve ‘slow train’ journeys scattered across the UK in his book, ‘On the Slow Train’.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Recently, I have read another book by Michael Williams - "On the Slow Train." It was written a decade or so ago. It is an excellent, entertaining, gentle read bought cheaply secondhand with chapters of just the right length to read at the end of the day!

I thoroughly enjoyed it a few years back. Time to get it out and re-read it I think.
Couldn't help singing the Flanders and Swann song whilst reading it!

By the way, you're extremely well self-disciplined if you can contain yourself to one chapter per night.
 
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,275
The companion book "On the Slow Train Again", also by Michael Williams, is a decent read in its own right.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,022
Location
Up the creek
If I remember correctly, I read it and Matthew Engels’ Eleven Minutes Late at about the same time and preferred Engels’ book, though Williams’ was not bad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top