• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On the buses - 1971 film

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2008
Messages
1,650
Location
Cardenden, Fife
I've been watching on ITV2 the 1971 film "On the buses". In fact, I have the triology of films on DVD. But, which town or towns were all the street scenes for the 1971 film recorded in?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
3,702
Location
On a plane somewhere at 35,000
Generally On the Buses films were filmed at the Elstree Film studios and in and around the Borehamwood area.

Locations in Borehamwood used for the filming of On the Buses included: Shenley Road (scenes mainly seen in the opening title sequence), Malden Road (2 Malden Road was used as the exterior for the Butler's house), Whitehouse Avenue (Turnaround Betty's) and Manor Way (the laundrette).

The original set for the garage which was within the Elstree Studio complex was demolished in 1991 and is now Tescos.
 

Turbostar

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2006
Messages
1,039
Location
Plymouth, Devon
Yes, the film was mostly filmed at the Elstree Film Studios in and around Borehamwood, but the tv series was filmed elsewhere:

The series was recorded at London Weekend Television's studios at Wembley. In late 1972 the show relocated to the company's new South Bank of the River Thames; here the outside doors to the main and secondary studios were too small to accommodate the double-decker buses used in the series. Therefore single-decker buses were used and a plywood mock-up of a second deck was lowered from a lighting rig.

Filmed external shots were part of the series. LWT arranged with Eastern National bus company to use their buses at the Wood Green bus garage in north London. For the series, they were under the ownership of 'Luxton and District'. 'Luxton' is supposed to be in Essex, and actual Essex towns such as Southend, Basildon, Braintree and Tilbury are all mentioned. One of the termini for the buses was 'Cemetery Gates' and for this, LWT used the entrance to Lavender Hill Cemetery in Enfield, Middlesex, near Reg Varney's home.

Hope this helps with your enquiries. :D
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
What a great set of movies, I love stuff like that way better than anything on TV today
 

Bighat

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2005
Messages
429
Location
Ilford
Yup! Arguably infinitely better attraction.

Too true. I went to the Safari Park once. A large monkey (?) pulled one of the windscreen wipers off my car, and then shat on the bonnet when I squirted him with the washers!
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
Too true. I went to the Safari Park once. A large monkey (?) pulled one of the windscreen wipers off my car, and then shat on the bonnet when I squirted him with the washers!

hahahaha!

I went to one once with my old school (before I left yay!) It was naff, the rides were the best part, oh the white tigers were cute too...till they bite hehe
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top