• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On G A- break of journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
768
Anyone know the rules re break of journey outward on G A. I had an off peak to Liv St from Col, Stopped off at Stratford ( the train stopped there ) for lunch.
Ticket would not release the barrier. I have had problems in the past, The barrier guy let me out, Back 1 hr later again the barrier would not open
Spoke to the gateline guy he said you have used the ticket, break not permitted. I looked for a supervisor as I thought I was right. he gave in and let me in
Ticked worked at Liv St and let me out. Did I break the rules ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Anyone know the rules re break of journey outward on G A. I had an off peak to Liv St from Col, Stopped off at Stratford ( the train stopped there ) for lunch.
Ticket would not release the barrier. I have had problems in the past, The barrier guy let me out, Back 1 hr later again the barrier would not open
Spoke to the gateline guy he said you have used the ticket, break not permitted. I looked for a supervisor as I thought I was right. he gave in and let me in
Ticked worked at Liv St and let me out. Did I break the rules ?

There do not appear to be any break of journey restrictions on any of the Off Peak tickets for this route so you appear to be in the right.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
You were entitled to break your journey – whilst you cannot break and later resume a journey at a London underground station in the course of making a cross-London transfer, you were not making a cross-London transfer.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Might be worth you dropping an email to GA, or a tweet, outlining what happened. Not to get the guy in trouble, but to (hopefully) get a reminder/refresher put in place, so that other passengers/you in future don’t have issues.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,813
Location
UK
Might be worth you dropping an email to GA, or a tweet, outlining what happened. Not to get the guy in trouble, but to (hopefully) get a reminder/refresher put in place, so that other passengers/you in future don’t have issues.
Unfortunately that's likely to be fruitless - Stratford is no longer a GA managed station.
 

Ralph Ayres

Member
Joined
2 May 2012
Messages
261
Location
West London
Sigh. Stratford gateline is connected to the LU system and doesn't handle Break of Journey at all well. LU gateline staff should let ticket holders in or out but some seem to struggle with their awareness of the rules. Might still be worth letting GA know so they are aware of any problems and might put pressure on LU to meet their obligations training-wise.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
Sigh. Stratford gateline is connected to the LU system and doesn't handle Break of Journey at all well. LU gateline staff
…don’t exist at Stratford technically, as it’s managed by TfL, though I suspect the point otherwise still holds.
 

colchesterken

Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
768
Thanks to everyone for their input, looks like I tested a system that may or may not exist.
The gateline staff at TFL Stratford station do not seem to be well trained more interested in their phones than customers
and being a TFL station no booking office clerks, I have had good help at other stations with topping up Oyster etc
Could be as it is a TFL station a break is not allowed as the zone rules apply, as I had a direct to Liv st ticket rather than an all zones I may have cheated
Still there was no real problem, next time I may use the Qyster to go to Liv st from Stratford
 

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
Stratford is a wonderful station. I have travelled through it irregularly and often since the 1950s, and of course the first mystery to me was why my train to Gidea Park departed from platform 8, when to my untrained eye there were only 4 platforms, i.e. eastbound Central, eastbound BR, westbound Central, and westbound BR. Of course I was unaware of platforms 1 & 2 at the low level, and unused bay platforms 4 & 7, never mind whatever went on at platforms 9, 10, 11 & 12. Of course break of journey is allowed there on the appropriate ticket, whichever upstart organisation (TfL) happens to be running the place.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks to everyone for their input, looks like I tested a system that may or may not exist.
The gateline staff at TFL Stratford station do not seem to be well trained more interested in their phones than customers
and being a TFL station no booking office clerks, I have had good help at other stations with topping up Oyster etc
This is in line with my expectations of TfL, but you should complain as they really ought to do something about it. Please let us know what response you get.

Could be as it is a TFL station a break is not allowed as the zone rules apply, as I had a direct to Liv st ticket rather than an all zones I may have cheated
TfL have no say in the contract and cannot renege on the contract just because they manage a station (!)

Still there was no real problem, next time I may use the Qyster to go to Liv st from Stratford
That's what TfL want you to do; therefore I would specifically NOT do this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top