• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On declined payment due to insufficient balance

alvinc

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2025
Messages
11
Location
UK
I got the notification from my bank as my balance was not sufficient to pay for the fare for TfL, so I immediately added money to my account which was more than enough to pay, followed by £0.1 attempt which was successful.

Then I went out for my first ride of my day using the same card, but failed for several attempts (red light). Shortly after I got another notification of £0.1. I used another card to pay my fare then.

My question is, will TfL try again automatically for my fare yesterday so I don't need to do anything? Will my card be used again once that payment is processed successfully? Currently I don't have any card linked to TfL yet.

Another question is, will I be charged today (£1.75 as I tapped in through a tram stop) as well with the card that failed to pass but getting through a £0.1 attempt successfully?

Thanks so much!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,735
Location
Yorkshire
I got the notification from my bank as my balance was not sufficient to pay for the fare for TfL, so I immediately added money to my account which was more than enough to pay, followed by £0.1 attempt which was successful.

Then I went out for my first ride of my day using the same card, but failed for several attempts (red light). Shortly after I got another notification of £0.1. I used another card to pay my fare then.

My question is, will TfL try again automatically for my fare yesterday so I don't need to do anything? Will my card be used again once that payment is processed successfully? Currently I don't have any card linked to TfL yet.

Another question is, will I be charged today (£1.75 as I tapped in through a tram stop) as well with the card that failed to pass but getting through a £0.1 attempt successfully?

Thanks so much!
This isn't very clear, but TfL will not reattempt to take the money. You'll have to use your TfL card account (if you don't have one, your can create one) and there's an option there to pay any outstanding balance.

If you don't pay the balance the card won't be accepted by TfL.

If a card was not accepted, you won't have a payment against it.
 

alvinc

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2025
Messages
11
Location
UK
This isn't very clear, but TfL will not reattempt to take the money. You'll have to use your TfL card account (if you don't have one, your can create one) and there's an option there to pay any outstanding balance.

If you don't pay the balance the card won't be accepted by TfL.

If a card was not accepted, you won't have a payment against it.

Thanks. They finally successfully collected my £5.25 on Friday, following the £0.2 attempts. However, TfL didn't return £0.2 to me.

There is another issue now, as I only use another card yesterday on bus and tram only, I was double charged by TfL with two daily caps (two £1.75 due to summer promotions) at 1 and 2 am. I didn't use that card on the other days.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 38

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,579
Location
Crayford
They finally successfully collected my £5.25 on Friday, following the £0.2 attempts. However, TfL didn't return £0.2 to me.
A charge of £0.10 is almost certainly just an authorisation. That should get replaced by the proper charge at the end of the day, but sometimes it is just left to fall off after a few days. On your bank statement online it should show as pending, or similar. It won't get refunded as such, it just won't be confirmed for collection.
There is another issue now, as I only use another card yesterday on bus and tram only, I was double charged by TfL with two daily caps (two £1.75 due to summer promotions) at 1 and 2 am. I didn't use that card on the other days.
Contact the helpdesk about that tomorrow. It might be an issue with an early morning (end of the previous day) journey, but both the previous day and the actual day were weekend days. I'm sure they'll correct it.
 

alvinc

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2025
Messages
11
Location
UK
A charge of £0.10 is almost certainly just an authorisation. That should get replaced by the proper charge at the end of the day, but sometimes it is just left to fall off after a few days. On your bank statement online it should show as pending, or similar. It won't get refunded as such, it just won't be confirmed for collection.

Contact the helpdesk about that tomorrow. It might be an issue with an early morning (end of the previous day) journey, but both the previous day and the actual day were weekend days. I'm sure they'll correct it.

Thanks! As of 20:26 today (2 Aug), 1 of the transactions were confirmed while another one is still pending (they were only an hour apart). Does that mean it will be self-corrected (a few days) later?
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,579
Location
Crayford
Thanks! As of 20:26 today (2 Aug), 1 of the transactions were confirmed while another one is still pending (they were only an hour apart). Does that mean it will be self-corrected (a few days) later?
It might. You could wait a couple of days to see what happens.
 

Top